Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester City u23 v Brighton And Hove Albion u23 Holmes park 19.00 Ko PL2 tonight

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Shorter than he appears!

Here he is, pictured with the Republic of Ireland U-17 squad that competed at the 2017 UEFA European U-17 Championship finals in Croatia in May 2017. He is number 11 (left, middle row) and, if you look closely, he is standing on "tippy toes" (as his then U-16 Albion teammate Danny Cashman stated on twitter at the time!):-

View attachment 100879

The hair adds a couple of inches too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The game has changed since the likes of Wardy. I hope that he makes it as he certainly looks exciting and knows how to put the ball in the net. 3rd round of the cup will be an interesting match to see.

Yes, fair enough. Good point.

So how big is 5'7" Messi (just asking, like)? If Connolly's not a giant like 5'8" Michael Owen we might as well kick him out to League 2 now.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Shorter than he appears!

Here he is, pictured with the Republic of Ireland U-17 squad that competed at the 2017 UEFA European U-17 Championship finals in Croatia in May 2017. He is number 11 (left, middle row) and, if you look closely, he is standing on "tippy toes" (as his then U-16 Albion teammate Danny Cashman stated on twitter at the time!):-

View attachment 100879

That's probably the worst collection of haircuts ive ever seen. Looks like half of them are wearing really bad wigs.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That's probably the worst collection of haircuts ive ever seen. Looks like half of them are wearing really bad wigs.

You have to remember it's the irish team , most of these haircuts would of been practiced by Mr Cooper , sadly practice never did make much difference .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We won't know if he is any good at the higher level if he isn't given a chance.. ... can't be worse than a certain option I won't mention....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
TiredRemorsefulArgusfish-small.gif

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've never seen Connolly in the flesh, just on the Seagulls TV coverage, so wondered from those who have seen him how quick he is? I don't think you can ever tell till you see a player in person.

Pretty quick.

For a good example watch the highlights from the recent late comeback win over West Ham. (In about the 90th minute) Connolly shows excellent pace to get on the end of the cross to slot the winner. Look where he is when the ball is spread out wide.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I've never seen Connolly in the flesh, just on the Seagulls TV coverage, so wondered from those who have seen him how quick he is? I don't think you can ever tell till you see a player in person.

From limited actually seeing him live time , (twice) I don't think he's particularly quick he's just very difficult to knock off the ball when he gets it , and for what he lacks in height he more than makes up for with a instinctive shoot on sight eye for goal , he has a excellent first touch which often gets him the edge over defenders and iv'e seen him outjump CB's to win the ball from goal kicks so the myth of him not ever heading a ball is certain poppycock , he has blossomed with the arrival of Gyokeres who also looks destined to make the jump into the first team

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Pretty quick.

For a good example watch the highlights from the recent late comeback win over West Ham. (In about the 90th minute) Connolly shows excellent pace to get on the end of the cross to slot the winner. Look where he is when the ball is spread out wide.

Just watched that again and he did make the ground in good time. What struck me most about that and a lot of the other goals he has scored though is that he seems to have very clever movement and an appreciation of position and space which in the modern game seems more important than great physicality.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just watched that again and he did make the ground in good time. What struck me most about that and a lot of the other goals he has scored though is that he seems to have very clever movement and an appreciation of position and space which in the modern game seems more important than great physicality.

Totally, he has scored goals at every level (age, international, leagues) he has played in. From watching him he certainly has an eye for goal, and never gives up. He is a very young and exciting prospect.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
He came on in preseason against Wimbledon and I thought he looked absolutely pony, too short and not quick enough or big enough to get involved at all. Having said that, the whole team looked crap that day and I cant deny he just cant stop banging goals in for the u23s, he may well have a very promising career in football, whether that will be in the premier league is still to be seen though.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We won't know if he is any good at the higher level if he isn't given a chance.. ... can't be worse than a certain option I won't mention....

Yet more heightist comments on this thread! Disgusting!!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Shorter than he appears!

View attachment 100879

Mr bean front row second from the right

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here