Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Northamptonshire CCC, LVCC Div2, 24-27 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Haven't listened to this game, couldn't be arsed.

Only just looked at the scores.

What a fabulous season Ollie Robinson has had.

Well played lad.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm sure it's been covered in depth elsewhere but given his previous with Dizzy it's a great story.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
36 first innings, now an unbeaten 50, for the third Curran brother. Some talent in that family.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Haven't listened to this game, couldn't be arsed.

Only just looked at the scores.

What a fabulous season Ollie Robinson has had.

Well played lad.
\

He is off to have an operation on his Hip. It should make it less painful to bowl. So if all goes well in the off season he should come back even better.

Dizzy seems to have brought out all that ability this year.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
\

He is off to have an operation on his Hip. It should make it less painful to bowl. So if all goes well in the off season he should come back even better.

If he's even better next season and gets called up for England it's a helluva story.

Well done everyone.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
\

Is that why he doesn’t play white ball ?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Just need someone to bring some consistency to the batting, Yardy hasn’t managed it.
Ridiculous comment. It isn't up to a coach to "bring consistency to the batting".

As it happens, Yardy is a perfectly good coach for our young batters but his influence can't be simply measured by number of Championship runs scored.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Ridiculous comment. It isn't up to a coach to "bring consistency to the batting".

As it happens, Yardy is a perfectly good coach for our young batters but his influence can't be simply measured by number of Championship runs scored.

It isn't so much the number of runs scored as the way we play. Warwickshire showed us how to bat out an innings. So often this season we have completed our innings in around half the overs of the opposition. Sometimes that is great but we don't seem to be able to dig in and grind out an innings when needed.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
It isn't so much the number of runs scored as the way we play. Warwickshire showed us how to bat out an innings. So often this season we have completed our innings in around half the overs of the opposition. Sometimes that is great but we don't seem to be able to dig in and grind out an innings when needed.

Equally ridiculous. Warwickshire field a seasoned top order of near international quality, all on big wages, and predictably "out-bat" our homegrown lads... somehow that is relevant evidence in consideration of Michael Yardy's coaching skills.

:thud:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I hope the ECB are already working hard on a restructuring plan that will mean Lancashire retain their rightful top flight status. Easy to make a good case for them staying up and only promoting Warks this year.

What actually happened was that as soon as Yorkshire and Lancs looked in relegation trouble, the good ol ECB decided it would be three up in 2019. So all the test playing counties (incl Middlesex) would be in Div 1 for the start of the “100”. You couldn’t make it up[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm at the golf club now and can report the players have just started to turn up for 18 holes and a long lunch.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is that why he doesn’t play white ball ?

I don't know. But all the better for us while he does not.

Wright said he may not play any white ball over the winter. He has not had a Christmas at home with his family for 12 years.

If not hopefully it may go towards fixing his back and perhaps extending his career.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a kick in the teeth but overall, it must be viewed as a successful season. So close in the CC and T20 and the real emergence of some talented young players in Rawlins, Evans, Salt and of course Robinson. We must be confident about next season.

I saw a tweet from BBC Sussex with a clip about Gillespie discussing recruitment but haven't been able to listen to it at work. Has anyone else heard it or know what the plans are for next season?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In "Young Jim" - the Jim Parks story, Jim rekons it normally takes three years for a young batter to learn how to bat at Championship level. In fairness there has been discenable improvement, from last season, in the red ball batting of Salt, Finch and Haines although they are still prone to try and rush things and end up making stupid mistakes. The club is clearly, and correctly in my view, sticking with these players alowing them time to develop to their full potential which may take another 18-24 months. If we had got promoted this year it would have been at least a year too soon and could have had a damging effect on the progress of these talented players. If they all continue their development curve next season, if we are able to retain the likes of Archer, Robinson, Jordan etc, fringe players like Rawlins and Burgess come good and Garton and/or Whittingham fulfill their promise, then next season could be special. But there's quite a few "ifs" in there!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In "Young Jim" - the Jim Parks story, Jim rekons it normally takes three years for a young batter to learn how to bat at Championship level. In fairness there has been discenable improvement, from last season, in the red ball batting of Salt, Finch and Haines although they are still prone to try and rush things and end up making stupid mistakes. The club is clearly, and correctly in my view, sticking with these players alowing them time to develop to their full potential which may take another 18-24 months. If we had got promoted this year it would have been at least a year too soon and could have had a damging effect on the progress of these talented players. If they all continue their development curve next season, if we are able to retain the likes of Archer, Robinson, Jordan etc, fringe players like Rawlins and Burgess come good and Garton and/or Whittingham fulfill their promise, then next season could be special. But there's quite a few "ifs" in there!!!
Good post. Always lots of "ifs" but why not choose to be positive?

The club pulled off a masterstroke in recruiting Dizzy, and that followed on from the excellent appointment of Rob Andrew, and we are moving in the right direction.

Never going to be easy to compete with the Test ground counties - any time we get into the top half of the Championship then we are punching above our weight - but the club couldn't be doing much more to try and improve and succeed.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a kick in the teeth but overall, it must be viewed as a successful season. So close in the CC and T20 and the real emergence of some talented young players in Rawlins, Evans, Salt and of course Robinson. We must be confident about next season.

I saw a tweet from BBC Sussex with a clip about Gillespie discussing recruitment but haven't been able to listen to it at work. Has anyone else heard it or know what the plans are for next season?

I have not seen that. Dizzy has consistently said he came her as he was thrilled at the chance to develop young players. He has also said that he is very happy with our squad.
When asked about batting experience he said that Van Z will be fit and ready to play in the pre season tour of South Africa, when Dizzy will rejoin the squad.

I can only think the recruitment side is more about plugging the wholes created by the various T20 tournaments and the World Cup here next year. Or Even like Sharma getting a world class player in who wants to acclimatise to the conditions here.

I would be be surprised if we see much movement beyond this (barring injuries). I think he has had a season to figure it all out and go for promotion next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here