Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But this is a similar scenario - employees getting shares and dividends for nothing. Many of my ex-colleagues at LTSB and my current colleagues at Tesco had/have no clue as to how shares and dividends work. This will just be perceived by them as an additional income. They certainly will not understand what porfolio diversification means and will not understand if/when that income disappears. I do agree that staff having shares is usually a good idea (as long as they understand what it is they are getting into), but in the case of Tesco, it does not appear to make them work any harder :)

I was with Lloyds myself for 17 years....luckily got rid of most of the shares I had years before they crashed.......agree with you. It was staggering the number of people that never sold a share (we had the infamous 'millionaire messenger') - at the time the capital growth was always very good, and the dividends were great. Could never end, right ? People were wholly into Lloyds (and it was the same in other banks - worst I experienced was the team at Lehman Bros in New York when I had to go in right after the crash to do some work) for their salary, savings and pension..........

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Boris Johnson whilst in the cabinet agreeing to the Chequers Brexit deal.

Boris Johnson days later saying it would amount to 'diddly squat'.

Crystal clear.

Two wrongs, don't make a right....

Politicians all lie just to get power, on the premise they have your best interests at heart...

We are suffering because of a lack of a third party, which at the least can sway influence towards the two larger parties, we are turning into bloody America

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
But this is a similar scenario - employees getting shares and dividends for nothing. Many of my ex-colleagues at LTSB and my current colleagues at Tesco had/have no clue as to how shares and dividends work. This will just be perceived by them as an additional income. They certainly will not understand what porfolio diversification means and will not understand if/when that income disappears. I do agree that staff having shares is usually a good idea (as long as they understand what it is they are getting into), but in the case of Tesco, it does not appear to make them work any harder

Known plenty of non-deserving executives who have been gifted shed loads of equity and actively worked against the best long term interests of the company and its employees to protect bonuses and share prices.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was with Lloyds myself for 17 years....luckily got rid of most of the shares I had years before they crashed.......agree with you. It was staggering the number of people that never sold a share (we had the infamous 'millionaire messenger') - at the time the capital growth was always very good, and the dividends were great. Could never end, right ? People were wholly into Lloyds (and it was the same in other banks - worst I experienced was the team at Lehman Bros in New York when I had to go in right after the crash to do some work) for their salary, savings and pension..........

I used to work at Lloyds Registrars in Worthing, back in the day when the shares were flying. There were people there who'd been there for many years, and were close to retirement, sitting on 300k worth of shares, with the share price at over £6.00. I don't know whether they retired / sold the shares BEFORE the crash, but I'm sure some people lost 'everything'... (not actually everything, but I bet it felt like it).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I used to work at Lloyds Registrars in Worthing, back in the day when the shares were flying. There were people there who'd been there for many years, and were close to retirement, sitting on 300k worth of shares, with the share price at over £6.00. I don't know whether they retired / sold the shares BEFORE the crash, but I'm sure some people lost 'everything'... (not actually everything, but I bet it felt like it).

Exactly.........didn't even need to be particularly senior to have £300k's worth, just long service and not sold many over the years (I know one of the messengers from LPB in Haywards Heath that had that kind of sum wrapped up at one point) . So many people were sat on them as their retirement fund (in addition to what was then a great pension - I still meet up with a group from LPB that I used to work with, couple of them retired on the old 40/60ths DB pension after almost the full term).

Were you there in John Parker's days ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Exactly.........didn't even need to be particularly senior to have £300k's worth, just long service and not sold many over the years (I know one of the messengers from LPB in Haywards Heath that had that kind of sum wrapped up at one point) . So many people were sat on them as their retirement fund (in addition to what was then a great pension - I still meet up with a group from LPB that I used to work with, couple of them retired on the old 40/60ths DB pension after almost the full term).

Were you there in John Parker's days ?

I was there from 94-99 - roughly the same time that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] was there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I vaguely remember a John Parker yes.

To interject on an earlier point I've just read though, Profit Sharing shares are certainly not "freebies" as they were described. Often they were or are taken in lieu of a cash payment. Foregoing, say, £2,000 cash today to take shares in the hope of capital appreciation in the future does not mean they are "free".

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I vaguely remember a John Parker yes.

To interject on an earlier point I've just read though, Profit Sharing shares are certainly not "freebies" as they were described. Often they were or are taken in lieu of a cash payment. Foregoing, say, £2,000 cash today to take shares in the hope of capital appreciation in the future does not mean they are "free".

They were free in the sense they weren’t part of your salary, they weren’t contractual, weren’t related to your personal performance and you didn’t pay anything for them............

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She should be fine. She always wanted to be a teacher but fell into a good job after uni. She realised she didn’t really like it that much and was diagnosed with cancer when she was pregnant with our twin girls in 2010. Now she is better she decided to fulfil her life dream. Even if she decides after a few years it is not for her then she will have done what she always wanted to do.

For what it is worth, I think she is nuts.

It's lovely that she wants do this, unfortunately Teaching, just like Nursing, relies on people coming in to the job with a burning desire to make a positive difference to other peoples lives. the problem is that when they get there they are usually overworked and underpaid for their efforts until ultimately, they quit having been burnt out, and then the whole cycle starts again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Will help you out.....

Sarah Sands editor of BBC Radio 4 today programme
Robbie Gibbs - Daily Politics Exec Editor - now Director of Comms for Theresa May
Andrew Marr
Laura Kussenberg
Nick Robinson
Amal Rajan (Media Editor)
James Harding - Director of News and Current Affairs
Andrew Neil

Andrew Marr?
I think not!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Law & Order is not Tory ground. It is the most vulnerable who are most affected by crime.

The next Labour government will commision open inquiries into Orgreave and other abuse of Trade Unionists.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
So for someone who pays little attention to the fine details...

Are Labour the party that did not take a firm position on Brexit, are now saying they will vote down any deal for Brexit and offer another vote without or want a general election ?

If that is it in layman's terms, then surely they not acting in the nations interest just a desperate act to gain power, then they will probably oust JC.

Spot on. Nothing but a power grab. Treacherous vile party. Will say,do anything to get power.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
A pointless conference unless you are a back slapping Trotskyist or Momentum member having their “moment” believing that a rag tag bunch of incompetent nobodies with unworkable and laughable policies could ever get elected to power. In its present form Labour is a joke of a party wholly unrepresentative of the people they expect to vote for them. The present Conservative administration is a shambles, so basically we’re all fecked!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
A pointless conference unless you are a back slapping Trotskyist or Momentum member having their “moment” believing that a rag tag bunch of incompetent nobodies with unworkable and laughable policies could ever get elected to power. In its present form Labour is a joke of a party wholly unrepresentative of the people they expect to vote for them. The present Conservative administration is a shambles, so basically we’re all fecked!
The trouble is they could get elected if the Tory support has had enough and doesn’t come out to vote for their party

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here