Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Portsmouth dock yard.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I love Portsmouth Dockyard, been twice recently and still haven't managed to see everything. Highly recommended.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hello everyone

Bit of light relief from brexit and losing yesterday

Went down to,Pompey today to go to gun wharf keys for some retail therapy and whilst there we visited possibly the finest piece of modern production in a museum

The Mary Rose exhibition is the most incredible place and in a lot of these type of places, a quick visit through to see the sights etc and then off to the pub. But we were inside the exhibition for at least two hours and it was absolutely incredible.

Many years ago we went on a camping trip with our girls to Carnac in France where we went to an exhibition of the ancient stones, but they turned it into a theatrical event with light shows and laser shows etc. We thought that was cutting edge, but this Mary rose exhibition is on a par with that.

If you get a chance, don't just do the shops at gun wharf...which are excellent, but do go to the Mary rose exhibition.....you won't regret it and the kids will love it.

Gotta love an adidas outlet with an historic dockyard right next door :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That was it...we did eurocamp for many years when the kids were young.

So did we, most relaxing and enjoyable holidays ever and knocked the Tenerife All Inclusive jobs out of the park!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
If you've got an Armed Forces Discount Card you get a 30% discount on admission.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Are Victory and Mary Rose ok for a 5 year old? I presume that Victory is a bit more engaging for a younger mind? I haven't been since I was a kid.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
We are off there next week. We first went there when our child was 5 if I recall, and we had a great time. We have been back at least once a year since then, child is now 10.

The ships are very interesting for all ages and there are also some climbing activities in the Action Stations area.
The harbour tour is very enjoyable and I think there is some sort of Horrible Histories pirate event going on over the summer holidays.

Separate tickets are now required for the Mary Rose as it is no longer included in the general Dockyard admission.

Buying tickets in advance offer better value than rocking up on the day.

https://tickets.picniq.co.uk/portsmouth-historic-dockyard/. This link offers cheaper advance tickets.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Incidentally, Nelson was 5ft tall, Nelson’s Column is 15ft tall.

That’s Horatio of 1:3

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We are off there next week. We first went there when our child was 5 if I recall, and we had a great time. We have been back at least once a year since then, child is now 10.

The ships are very interesting for all ages and there are also some climbing activities in the Action Stations area.
The harbour tour is very enjoyable and I think there is some sort of Horrible Histories pirate event going on over the summer holidays.

Separate tickets are now required for the Mary Rose as it is no longer included in the general Dockyard admission.

Buying tickets in advance offer better value than rocking up on the day.

https://tickets.picniq.co.uk/portsmouth-historic-dockyard/. This link offers cheaper advance tickets.

Thanks so much for this advice - great day out. 5YO MBH Jr loved it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Have they raised the other half yet, joking aside I remember watching the raising at school on one of those tv’s on the high legs, I don’t know why but everyone was expecting a ship to appear not a few old planks of wood encased in a yellow cradle [emoji23][emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here