Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we lose v Manchester City on Saturday

How will you feel?

• Gutted. Shouldn’t be losing to teams like City. Hughton out!

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Disappointed. That’s just 5 pints in seven games. Mattress protection required tonight.

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • OK. Would’ve been nice to upset the Champions at their place, but wasn’t really expecting it.

Votes: 183 79.2%
  • Great! Who’d’ve thought 20 years ago we’d be rubbing shoulders with football’s high society!!

Votes: 26 11.3%

• Total voters

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
The only way to approach away to Man City is damage limitation. It's a defensive drill trying to concede as few as possible and hope to poach something on the break. Our goal difference thus far is great compared to others around us already and will be worth another point later on in the season, let's try to preserve that as best we can and roll into the next group of fixtures with some confidence and a more positive/attacking mindset.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we lose then I expect [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] will have another massive tantrum and demand Hughton is replaced by the Newcastle vintage era Keegan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I HERD that TRIFFIC Harry is a SHOE in for the TOP job when HOUGHTON gets the SAX :moo:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd use the game against Man City to make some changes to the side.

Balogun for Dunk
Berndado for Bong
AJ for March
Locadia for Bissouma

And then play 4-4-2
Funnily enough, I was going to start a thread advocating this, especially finding room for Locadia. That fella badly needs game time, and I think a "free hit" game against City is the perfect game to give him a run out, where expectations are already low.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It was option 3 back in the early 80's when we went to Anfield, and the gap these days is a million miles wider, so why would it be any different.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not a fan of our passive 451 at the moment, but City away is probably one of only two places I'm pro using it. If you can neutralise 70-80 minutes of the game and keep it 0-0, then try and play for 10 minutes and snatch something, then that's a sensible tactic.

I don't, however, agree at all with using this away at Southampton or at home to Spurs, and I think the results have proven it's a poor strategy in 95% of our games.

Still, against City I'd expect us to lose, expect us to be defensive, and I would be really shocked if there was a different outcome in either regard. I would really hope that our attitude changes drastically post-City though.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Get up there, play an attacking 3-4-3, pin them back in their half, aim to go in at half time 2 goals up then really turn the screw second half to get our goal difference up a bit..

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
5 points from 7 games would in my view be a decent return from a very difficult opening. Obviously would have loved more, but unlike many on here I'm not convinced with all the new signings and their effectiveness.

I know CH doesn't like to change too much but the fact that so few of the new signings are getting into the starting 11 suggests this season's 'hit' rate on new additions may well be quite poor. No sign of Bernardo after 1 iffy performance (especially with how Bong is playing)? , Balogun very unlucky not to retain his place against Fulham after Dunk's injury (in my view) ?, Montoya looks ok and Bissouma offers promise, but otherwise little seen of Ali J, and others. Locadia more of a liability than an asset (I think we look worse when he comes on - surely not the idea when bringing on a sub).

Come the West Ham match we have to start getting some wins as the bottom of the Prem table is already having a not surprising but ominous look to it. Cardiff and Huddersfield I expected but I'm desperately hoping we can pull away soon and not get caught up in the bottom few. Expectations should be higher this season although I'm realistic and I suppose survival would still be good, but disappointing bearing in mind the outlay made in the summer. I'm not expecting top 10 but was hoping maybe 12th this season? Too much to hope for?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We don't stand a chance being realistic, so play all the new players and see what they can do.

Can't disagree with this at all.

No point in risking Murray so play Andone. Ali J has looked good in his restricted cameo appearances so play him ahead of March. Bong has been hmmm not as good as last year so give Bernardo a go in his favoured position. And I see no reason not to give Balogun another go.

If, as seems likely, we are going to City expecting to get beat, let the new boys show what they have. Andone has to start to give him game time in case Murray gets injured. Found it odd that he didn't get a run out Saturday ahead of Locadia who looks woefully short of being up to PL class.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Funnily enough, I was going to start a thread advocating this, especially finding room for Locadia. That fella badly needs game time, and I think a "free hit" game against City is the perfect game to give him a run out, where expectations are already low.

I agree. Start with Locadia, give him a bit of confidence. I'd also start with Andone and keep Murray as super sub.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
when we lose to citeh i will not be surprised , i think most fans were expecting a defeat v spurs , i went for a draw owing to their recent poor run but they still have some real quality , none the less we gave them a good game and again this should serve to ram the point home that when we have a go we can give anyone a tough time.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would be tempted to go there with Jahanbakhsh and Locadia coming into the team as a front three with Knockaert, Stephens (or Kayal) with Propper and Bissouma in the usual midfield three and we should be relatively fluent and quick on the break.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If we had eight Bruno's, a Knockaert and a Peter Vardy, we would win with 17% possession. Might not have a single Bruno!

##

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would be totally up for a defensive approach. Keep it tight, make the game boring. We could snatch a draw (or a win if the right chance comes) and worst case keep the score down. Goal difference is important. Losing 1-0 in a boring defensive game is better than a 3-1 loss but being entertained.

OK Chris but you forgot to tell us just what a good team City are :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here