Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk/Balogun?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Stick with Dunk. He's class. He just needs game time to get over this and he'll be back to being one of the best defenders in the PL.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just because Balogun had a good game against Liverpool, even though he was partly at fault for the deciding goal, does not mean he is the new Maldini.

Its amazing how players we have hardly seen yet seem to go up in expectation after a few poor performances from the regular starters.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Just because Balogun had a good game against Liverpool, even though he was partly at fault for the deciding goal, does not mean he is the new Maldini.

Its amazing how players we have hardly seen yet seem to go up in expectation after a few poor performances from the regular starters.

Or we've all seen enough football to spot a good player.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
With Bruno missing, there are ramifications all across the back four.

e.g. the opposition attack down their left wing more often.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Bruno missing, there are ramifications all across the back four.

e.g. the opposition attack down their left wing more often.

.havent seen any indication of that w ith Montoya playing at right back other than Redmond who everybody knows on his good days isa very good player but he doesnt have them often enough for most supporters.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Always seems a bit pointless speculating about theses changes when we all know there is not a cat in hells chance of Dunk being dropped. Yes, I think he should be, I also think Ali J should start but we all know neither of those will happen vs city. (Just to clarify, in no way is this a dig at CH, his style is his style)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm amazed this is still a thing.

Why are posters refusing to accept the fact that Dunk was always coming straight back in once he was deemed fit.
Balogun could have scored 3 goals, and made 4 goal line clearances and Dunk would still have come straight back in.

Move on, and just be grateful, as usual, the club has excellent back up at centre half.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Dunk has not started the season well at all. Even before the injury at Watford, and nearly gifted Man United a goal with a mistake. Balogun deserves to come into the team. We are not sending a good message to bench players if they can't get game time when players are off form.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
For me Bong/Bernardo is the bigger question

Really? Opening away day at Watford seems like the graveyard for new left backs, and I expect to see about as much of Bernardo this year as we saw of Suttner last year. Bong is the rich man's (not a phrase that's ever used, but it's the reverse of "a poor man's") Kerry Mayo. We keep thinking, "hmm, he's ok, but we can improve at left back", only for him to beat out the competition we bring in.

#TeamBong

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Really? Opening away day at Watford seems like the graveyard for new left backs, and I expect to see about as much of Bernardo this year as we saw of Suttner last year. Bong is the rich man's (not a phrase that's ever used, but it's the reverse of "a poor man's") Kerry Mayo. We keep thinking, "hmm, he's ok, but we can improve at left back", only for him to beat out the competition we bring in.

#TeamBong

Yes, really .

Not sure how he beat out Bernardo since he got 10 mins at LB before being played out of position on his debut in a new league away from home.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
But I'd also want to know that if I performed well I wouldn't lose my place after missing one game with a niggly injury

Fair point, but Hemed performed very well beginning of last season, was then banned unfairly and never got a lookin.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fair point, but Hemed performed very well beginning of last season, was then banned unfairly and never got a lookin.

Thats the same point really, Hemed was Murray's understudy and Murray came back when he was fit. Hemed in fact performed so well he had a chance of keeping Murray out, but then went and stupidly trod on Lascelles and that was that for his premier league career.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
You're missing the point. Surely if as Chris says - there's more competition in the squad this has to mean something and that players who perform well are picked and those that don't are dropped. I am NOT suggesting that we chop and change every week -that would be madness and Burnley have shown that a fixed squad gets results,BUT I do feel Balogun played particularly well and Dunk hasn't - twice now since he returned. Competition doesn't seem to be spurring him on like it has Murray for example.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I love Dunk, but against City I'd like to see him dropped and Balogun put in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You're missing the point. Surely if as Chris says - there's more competition in the squad this has to mean something and that players who perform well are picked and those that don't are dropped. .

Tell this to Bruno , our club captain, who has lost his place to Montoya because of injury and didn’t even make the squad on Saturday.
Or Bernardo who was preferred to Bong at Watford and then dropped after a poor performance.
Or to Knockaert who is playing out of his skin with Ali J in the wings. (See also Murray)
Or Gross who pre injury was dropped in favour of Bissouma.

Hughton can be and is quietly ruthless when it comes to selection but consensus on here is that he is of course overly cautious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here