Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK I get that. And clearly their data retention policy for historic customer has identified me a possible returning customer. But name and DOB as a primary key if you like? I would never get away with using those as an identifier with historic data (even with a mother maiden name appended to it), and I actually couldnt confirm the address I was living at, at that time. Nor would I expect to hold on to that kind of information for so long. I dont know what/if I intend to do anything because its not exactly for a mortgage or a crime I didnt commit. Just seems inappropriate
    As long as they are only using your data to identify you as a returning customer and it is detailed in their data privacy / use policies then they have done nothing wrong either under GDPR or the previous Data Protection rules. You will have agreed to the terms and conditions back in 2006 although probably like 99.9% of us on here would not have read them in details or considered how it might affect you 12 years later.
    She’s the main man in the office in the city
    And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
    But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
    And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      As long as they are only using your data to identify you as a returning customer and it is detailed in their data privacy / use policies then they have done nothing wrong either under GDPR or the previous Data Protection rules. You will have agreed to the terms and conditions back in 2006 although probably like 99.9% of us on here would not have read them in details or considered how it might affect you 12 years later.
      But all those emails people received about updated terms and conditions in anticipation of GDPR, shouldn't there have been one of these from the company?
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      But all those emails people received about updated terms and conditions in anticipation of GDPR, shouldn't there have been one of these from the company?
      Not necessarily. My understanding is that if the original conditions were clear and had not changed then there was no need to re-seek permission.

Also, we don't know if the OP was sent an email or if it would have been sent to an old email address.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      OP - did you wake up in a bad mood today? First thing on your mind was GDPR?
      never forget what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti did
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      Not necessarily. My understanding is that if the original conditions were clear and had not changed then there was no need to re-seek permission.

Also, we don't know if the OP was sent an email or if it would have been sent to an old email address.
      They could well have sent an email, probably to a work address back then which no longer exists anyway. I thought that the emails that were sent were as a new opt in anyway, and positive replies would be an opt in, and no reply/opt out would be do not contact. Thats a different story anyway, I tried to market myself to them not the other way round
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by timbha View Post
      OP - did you wake up in a bad mood today? First thing on your mind was GDPR?
      Na I'd been up a while! And was in a remarkably good mood, must have just wanted a rant.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
      There's a fella called Tim something or other that is an expert on such things I believe. Hangs around Hove lawns mostly
      *chortles*