Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it all a bit flat today? If so, why?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

Not outplay, but to compete and have a threat in the first half. ManU and Liverpool play in the CL, and we did far better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not outplay, but to compete and have a threat in the first half. ManU and Liverpool play in the CL, and we did far better.

Agreed, the Brighton that played Man U were totally different to the one that played today, and the difference was Gross. Despite having a poor start to the season by his own standards he fills the space between Murray & the midfield and allows us to close down with energy.

We can’t play that 4-3-3 again, though it was 4-5-1 for most of today. It’s so predictable. Opposition get ball, can’t break us down, we get it, clear it in to no man’s land, they get it back, repeat and rinse. That’s equals and creates yer flatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

Don’t you ever get bored with trying to toe the party line? The first half today was awful. We went for it a bit more second half. I’d rather we had a go and lost from the start rather than piss about like we did today. Next week at City will be the same again unless we change our mentality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fulham it was too warm......too wet today?

DSCF2894 (1).jpg

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Spurs were superior to the ManUtd team who turned up recently. I thought the Albion did well to stay in the game and a couple of errors proved costly. The top 6 are finding it harder to beat us which is an improvement and our season won't be defined by the results against them.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed, the Brighton that played Man U were totally different to the one that played today, and the difference was Gross. Despite having a poor start to the season by his own standards he fills the space between Murray & the midfield and allows us to close down with energy.

We can’t play that 4-3-3 again, though it was 4-5-1 for most of today. It’s so predictable. Opposition get ball, can’t break us down, we get it, clear it in to no man’s land, they get it back, repeat and rinse. That’s equals and creates yer flatness.

:thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Don’t you ever get bored with trying to toe the party line? The first half today was awful. We went for it a bit more second half. I’d rather we had a go and lost from the start rather than piss about like we did today. Next week at City will be the same again unless we change our mentality.

What changed or what did we do differently that meant - “we went for it” - or did we simply play better.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What changed or what did we do differently that meant - “we went for it” - or did we simply play better.

In the ManU game Brighton pushed up and set about pressing their players into mistakes, relentlessly. Causing CL quality players such as Pogba to have a nightmare .... all accurately documented in stats by the national media afterwards. It was amazing.

Today 9 outfield players sat very deep in the first half, leaving Murray on his own.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

We pressed them further up the pitch, and hassled them more in the second half. More intensity from the kick off in the second half. We looked to pass it forward earlier instead of delaying a pass and then going sidewides. We showed Spurs far to much respect in the first half.

We seem to be slow out of the blocks, not for the first time.
Before you ask me when we’ve been slow out of the blocks, I’ll name you pretty much any away game against the top 6 last season, Huddersfield, West Brom, disgracefully Palace where we didn’t turn up for the first 20 mins, and Watford and Southampton this season.

We need to believe we are good enough to have a go from the off rather than setting out not to loose, especially at home.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Murphy called it right on MOTD tonight. Those first few minutes were really disappointing and set the tone. I thought we would really go at them and remember being surprised how flat and lacking in energy we were at the start of the game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes it was.

We set up too defensively and as a consequence literally gave the crowd nothing to cheer in the first half.

This. As Danny nohair pointed out on MOTD. Differnt in second half. We need to sort this out as we are selling ourselves short. *cough* manager *cough*

ps Kayal was immense.

edit as noted above

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the ManU game Brighton pushed up and set about pressing their players into mistakes, relentlessly. Causing CL quality players such as Pogba to have a nightmare .... all accurately documented in stats by the national media afterwards. It was amazing.

Today 9 outfield players sat very deep in the first half, leaving Murray on his own.

****ing irritating. It was obvs the gameplan. CH needs to have more confidence in the players.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Well Danny Murphy on MotD disagrees with you as do I. We should have gone for them from the start. What's the worst that could've happened - zero points. Well guess what we got zero points anyway. It was an opportunity, but obviously as stated you tow the party line and can not see anything ever wrong with Chris or BHA. I don't want Chris out, I'm not bedwetting or anything else but I can see that sometimes we don't get it right

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well Danny Murphy on MotD disagrees with you as do I. We should have gone for them from the start. What's the worst that could've happened - zero points. Well guess what we got zero points anyway. It was an opportunity, but obviously as stated you tow the party line and can not see anything ever wrong with Chris or BHA. I don't want Chris out, I'm not bedwetting or anything else but I can see that sometimes we don't get it right

The flip side of this argument wasn’t our tactics, it was Spurs came with a plan to attack us early and we simply couldn’t cope. If not for a spectacular save by Ryan we could have been behind a lot earlier. As it was Spurs couldn’t maintain that tempo and we grew into the game.

We started fast against MU & Fulham, not sure we planned it any differently other than the quality of the opposition starved us of the ball and penned us back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here