Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it all a bit flat today? If so, why?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Felt really flat today both on and off the pitch, I thought.

Why were we, in the stands, below par?

Late kickoff playing with people’s football body clocks?

Uninspired team performance not lifting the crowd?

The weather?

All of the above or something else?

N17

Jun 21, 2011

The weather?

I mentioned this in the match thread. The difference between last season and this was marked for some reason.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes it was.

We set up too defensively and as a consequence literally gave the crowd nothing to cheer in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes it was flat. It shouldn't have been, with all afternoon to drink. Not going to make any of those excuses. We need to up our game in the stands

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We can't have a bi-weekly thread wondering why it was 'all a bit flat'.

Maybe, just maybe, it's not:-

- The weather.
- Kick off time.
- Opposition.
- Opposition fans.
- Day of the week.
- Manager.
- Players.
- Tactics.
- Referee.
- Lineswoman.

Instead it might, just might, be us.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Atmosphere was piss poor today. Not sure why, I was working a night shift last night so I can be excused, but it was not good. I thought it would be bouncing, unfortunately not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Spurs were making us chase shadows for most of the first half?

The reason it was flat, wasn't that Spurs were making us chase shadows, it was that everyone could see that we let them do what they liked as a tactic. There was no tension.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5:30 kick offs can be better.

Brighton allowed Spuds total dominance of the ball and territory from the first second, with Muzza isolated, simply setting the tone in the stands. It wasn’t as if we broke that up with glorious counter attacks made at pace, instead nowt. Second to every ball.

It killed the vociferous sections.

It’s not a purely Albion phenomenon. I’ve seen Selhurst, Anfield and OT as dead as a Dodo when the crowd sense what game is in-store from the opening moments.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
You could tell we were going to sit off and let Spurs do what they want from the very first minute. I checked the possession stats after 5 minutes and Spurs had 95% of the ball. This affected the atmosphere I think. If we’d started with intensity, it would have been very different.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
It's the weather.

Maybe we need to copy Palace's world renowned atmosphere and get an ultras scene started. We can get a drum, flags and they can blackmail Bloom to move them to the middle of the North Stand when they out grow N1A.

What could possibly go wrong?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

The weather?

The rain and the teams performance dictated the atmosphere. Second was better when we really “gave it a go” on and off the pitch.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We can't have a bi-weekly thread wondering why it was 'all a bit flat'.

Maybe, just maybe, it's not:-

- The weather.
- Kick off time.
- Opposition.
- Opposition fans.
- Day of the week.
- Manager.
- Players.
- Tactics.
- Referee.
- Lineswoman.

Instead it might, just might, be us.

That could be it, except usually the atmosphere at the Amex is one of the best in the country. However today, it was a bit shit.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's just one game at home, since the Fulham one where we had'nt played that well.
As well as tactics, it's about confidence with the team and supporters IMO
Today I saw Dunk get brushed aside by Kane, that wouldn't have happened so easily last season.
We just need that early spark, like the late goals we've scored recently.
Well do okay :thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Because Albion offered nothing. You must have felt that Xmas had come early in that first half, surprisingly easy opposition to forget about the three defeats.

Think we can compete against almost any opposition in our league, but for some reason we chose not too, for example Fulham, Southampton and now Spurs. In the second half when we lift our heads and apply a different strategy we score, its becoming a trend. Change would not be difficult to implement because we are already doing it for half the game. Chris be bold, sometimes, i'm sure the rewards will be there.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

Come on, that first half was turgid. Tried to hold out and, as always, went behind anyway. Second half, when we actually tried to threaten them, we scored 1 each. I think most people were thinking that today was the perfect opportunity to get stuck into a nervy team low on confidence and rattle them a bit, on our own patch, but no, we let them have all the ball they wanted- and promptly gave the ball back when we did get it - let them settle into the game nicely and build their confidence up again. Imo that's why the at atmosphere fell flat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here