Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ryan - 8- Great save in the first half and several decent regulation ones in the 2nd. We would (will really miss him) if he wasn't there.
Montoya - 7 - clearly a quality footballer, (though clearly also not the cross between Dani Alves and Lilian Thuram which he's been made out to be over the last few weeks). He was composed on the ball and was more comfortable against Moura than he was against Redmond
Bong - 5 - I like Gaetan. More importantly Chris loves the pace and athleticism he brings to the team. Though sometimes his limitations as a footballer shine though. With Bernardo in the wings, I sense his place in the team is hanging by a thread
Duffy - 7 - Head it and kick it. Head it and kick it. Love him
Dunk - 6 - Oddly not quite as assured as he was all through last season
Propper - 5 - Reminds me of a 1910 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. Oozes class and sophistication, until he splutters and backfires. Big challenge for Hughton as there's clearly more we can get out of him
Stephens - n/a
Kayal - 7 - Those prepared to publicly doubt his ability as a premier league footballer will be thinner on the ground tonight. Not sure why he was playing as a second striker with half an hour left when we needed a goal though
Bissouma - 6 - Rein in those expectations. When you buy a player in it's always easy to forget how young and inexperienced he is. He's still raw and is likely to lose his place when Gross is back. Solid enough this evening and the premier league know how he's gaining from this run of games will really benefit him
Knockeart - 8 - Marked down as he could have had 2 more goals. Brilliant passion and a constant threat. His ability to run down the line and get us 50-60 yards up the pitch when we're under pressure is priceless. If I could, i'd round up all the people on here going on about him having been found out in the premier league and laugh in each of their stupid ugly faces.
Solly - 7 - Again, he has his moments. against real quality players he's getting these moments. I just think, if we persevere, the big leap to being able to regularly win prem games isn't that far away
Murray - 6 - Tough one for Muzza today. I genuinely think all this media coverage about him being the biggest fouler etc has meant that refs have gone way to far the other way and he's getting nothing at all. We need to get the team closer to him, certainly in home games.
Locadia - 5 - Chris, in true Chris style, gave him the vote of confidence to bring him on instead of Andone. With Andone, Izquierdo and Gross gaining fitness, and Kayal impressing Locadia is surely running out of opportunities.
Jahanbaksh - 6 - Something there isn't there. He kind of glides rather than runs. An intriguing signing

Thanks - you've saved me a job! I thought Kayal was a class above Stephens, Propper and Bissouma today. Dunk playing well below par by his standards. Time to give AJ a game from the start and Solly a rest.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ryan 7- Some good saves, not much he could do about the goals. His distribution still needs work IMO but he isn't helped by our setup.

Montoya 6- Solid defensively but offered nothing going forward.

Duffy 8- Kept Kane quiet, got Dunk out of jail (again) when he got roasted. POTS so far.

Dunk 6- He doesn't look right at the moment. Wasn't as bad as some of his recent displays but still made uncharacteristic errors.

Bong 5- Fully prepared for the scapegoat claims, but I thought he was poor again. Left the wing totally exposed at times with poor positioning and offered no attacking threat. Time for a change.

Knockaert 7- He is looking rejuvenated recently. Fantastic work rate in defence and attack, he has adapted really well to what Hughton expects of his wide players. Glad he got a consolation but have to mark him down one fot that miss, which cost us.

Pröpper 5- Totally anonymous.

Bissouma 6- Much better than his previous displays. Still looks a bit erratic, but he will be very good when he learns to be more disciplined.

Kayal 7- The most dynamic performance from any of our central midfielders this season. Worked well in defence and attack and looked really up for it.

March 6- Same as Southampton really, found some good positions but struggled to deliver in them. Not helped by having Bong behind him, seemingly being asked to play as a secondary left back or by Murray being pocketed.

Murray 5- Outclassed by two world-class centre-backs who were one step ahead of his every move. Not the first time he has given away a stupid penalty for handball (Weds at home when we went up? Possibly one more as well, my memory has gone).

Stephens had little impact, Jahanbakhsh showed some promise again, nothing of note on Locadia.

CH's stubborness with team selection needs to change- I cannot believe a football manager can have as many poor individual performances as we had at Southampton and keep all the underperformers in the starting 11 for the next game. I'm sure CH knows better than I do, but this approach certainly didn't pay off today.

Arvin

Jul 24, 2018
Washington DC
Ryan - 7.5: superb reflex save early on. Pen is a pen. Second goal perhaps a tad questioning of how well he gets down but I can see that going past any keeper really

Montoya - 6.5: decent tracking the right side, not getting involved enough with deliveries going up but a well worthwhile signing

Duffy - 7.5: superb today

Dunk - 6: solid, but could’ve cost a goal with that mistake to Kane

Bong - 4: was exploited down the left, had a couple good tackles and passes but nothing in the crossing department

Propper - 5: unremarkable, central midfield was absent building out of the back

Kayal - 6.5: showed some decent linkup play once he came on, positive player overall

Bissouma - 6: very dangerous when he gets into space and drives at goal, had some excellent through balls. However his biggest weakness is working the ball up from deep positions and close control in general

Knockeart - 7.5: lively, energetic, positive, but the chance he missed is the sort that you expect a winger to convert 100% of the time and it made the difference in this game

March - 5.5: was afraid to come up and provide an outlet, and that really hurt Brighton in the first half. Was rather unremarkable and wasted a couple great chances by smashing the ball in to the defenders feet. Good work rate though and did well to press

Murray - 5: off day for him I’m afraid

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
6 as average.

Ryan 6 Couple of saves but distribution poor
Montoya 7 Slotted into the Bruno roll well
Duffy 7.5 Our best CB this season by far covered Dunk well and controlled Kane.
Dunk 6 Is he fit? It doesnt seem so.
Bong 6 Does the job he is paid to do well but makes some mistakes
Knockaert 8 MOM and gave us hope
Stephens 6 not on long enough but missed him when he went off
Propper 6 Slipped into the Stephens roll but we missed his prompting.
March 6 Mixed game so good moments but also some he will want to forget.
Bissouma 6 Promises so much but is not quite there yet.
Murray 5 Poor display for him stupid penalty to comcede which set us on the way to losing.

Subs;
Kayal 6 Ok but not good enough on the ball to control anything.
Jahanbakhsh 6 Showed some good touches and must be near to a start.
Locadia 5 Oh dear Oh dear what has happened to him?

CH 5 Poor set up after Southampton needs to revitalise the team as they look stale and assured of their places, so no competition to keep them on their toes.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Ryan 7
Montoya 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 6
Bong 5
Knockaert 7 MOM
Propper 4
Stephens 5 (Kayal 21min, 5)
March 6 (Jahanbakhsh 73min, 4)
Bissouma 4 (Locadia 79min, 2)
Murray 4

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought he was class

I though Bong was very poor. Dunk as well for that matter. Whatever we disagree on regarding individuals do we agree the defense is shipping way to many goals and something needs to change?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I though Bong was very poor. Dunk as well for that matter. Whatever we disagree on regarding individuals do we agree the defense is shipping way to many goals and something needs to change?

Good to see you’ve picked on players other than Knocky, for a change

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Like I always do enjoyed the game. However far to kind with marking. We were at home showed far to much respect to Spurs. Nobody worth more then 6. So many saying how good Knockhaert was but apart from his miss ran around achieving very little and his crossing was terrible. March may as well be a full back for the little he contributes to attack.. Bissouma has skill and is supposed to increase our attacking options in midfield but cant remember him getting in penalty area let alone have a shot. Why on earth did Murray have his hands up for free kick. There full backs played as wingers and our wingers played as full backs summed it up.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Knockheart was MOTM despite the miss. I thought Montoya was excellent and most have scored him a harshly.

A few comments on here about Bong and Montoya not providing an attacking threat - we hardly had any possession and they were defending for 90% of the match. What do you expect them to do?

I would drop Stephens for Kayal against top teams. Kayal is more dynamic and a better tackler. Stephens is too slow and gets bypassed when we have little possession.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Knockheart was MOTM despite the miss. I thought Montoya was excellent and most have scored him a harshly.

A few comments on here about Bong and Montoya not providing an attacking threat - we hardly had any possession and they were defending for 90% of the match. What do you expect them to do?

Provide an outlet when we do have possession. In Bong’s case when he received the ball he was so ponderous, that he lost it.

I actually can’t remember one overlap from either, but to be fair perhaps they were told to keep the team shape.

I too thought Montoya played well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I would drop Stephens for Kayal against top teams. Kayal is more dynamic and a better tackler. Stephens is too slow and gets bypassed when we have little possession.

Really? You didn’t see him boss the midfield against United then?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
6 - average

Ryan - 7
Montoya- 6.5
Bong - 4
Dunk - 5.5 - unconvincing
Duffy - 7
Knockaert- 8
Bissouma - 6
Propper- 5
Stephens- 6
March - 7
Murray - 6

Kayal - 7
AJ - 6.5
Locadia- 6

Ref poor.
Substitution of March mystifying

Sorry but March was absolutely ****ing terrible. Every time, he beat his man every time he crossed and not once did a ball land in the box in the second half.

Shouldn’t be in the team as he isn’t good enough and hasn’t been since promotion

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry but March was absolutely ****ing terrible. Every time, he beat his man every time he crossed and not once did a ball land in the box in the second half.

Shouldn’t be in the team as he isn’t good enough and hasn’t been since promotion

Thought he caused Trippier problems right up to the point he was subbed, so much to the point Trippier was booked.

That said, I’d start AJ or Izquierdo over him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What about using him as a left back?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ryan 6- not much to do but when he did he did well. Cracking save first half
Bong 6 - didn’t do much wrong
Montoya 5 - keeps giving the ball away
Duffy 7 - proving me wrong this season. Been superb
Dunk 6 - not at the races again. Needs to up his game
Stephens 5 - don’t know
Propper 5 - forgot he was playing
Knockaert 8 - like Duffy. Been our player of the season so far.
March 3 - nope. Don’t get what he bring. If you’re a winger your job is to supply balls into the central areas and contribute with shots. Does neither effectively and is a championship player at best
Murray 5 - no service. Can’t do anything effective if he doesn’t get the ball in key areas
Bissouma 5- huffed, puffed and showed some quality but that’s about it

Sub:
AJ 6 looked effective. When is this lad going to get his chance???
Locadia 5 - bought on way too late to be effective
Kayal - never does much wrong when he’s on and is aggressive in pressing. Just what we need.

Hughton 3. Spurs were there for the taking, as were Saints & Fulham in previous weeks. This however was one of the poorest performances since we’ve been in the Premier League and, whilst the quality of the opposition was clear to see, we just never pressed them until it was too late and put their centre backs under enough pressure.

Our service from the left was awful and whilst some will criticise Murray for his performance and for the handball, you can’t blame him if he isn’t getting the service.

We need to be more aggressive in our formation against teams like Spurs and press higher up the pitch. We have the players who have enough pace to track back so that if we are exposed then we can get back into shape quickly.

Next two weeks are going be very very tough. Don’t expect to have more than a point from the next two matches.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan - 7 commanded his box well enough. Not at fault for the goals.
Montoya - 5 non-existent offensively. Decent enough defensively without shining, but got caught in possession on occasion.
Bong - 5 another relatively poor game. Poor on the ball.
Dunk - 5.5 - still not quite at the races this season. Back to making silly mistakes
Duffy - 6 the best of the defensive players, but that isn't saying much. Awful on the ball.
Knockaert - 7 a good goal at the end, but Rose outshone him for large portions, even if he did look like he was really up for it. Unfortunately he missed an absolute sitter at the crucial time of the match which brings his score down. Should've done better at the end of the game too.
Bissouma - 5 a poor game. Weak in the press aside from a 15 minute second half spell. Got dispossessed far too many times.
Propper - 6 the only player that looked capable of keeping the ball, but his best qualities were nullified when moved into the Stephens position as the sitter.
Stephens - N/A
March - 7 our best outlet for much of the game. Manufactured a few decent situations for himself but his crossing suffered as we often had no-one in the box for him to cross to. Good defensively again. Strange that he came off
Murray - 5 a tough game, and a stupid moment for the penalty, even if you do see those not given more often than not. Anonymous first half, but better again in the second half. Lost the ball a lot though.

Kayal - 7 probably our best midfielder with his verticality.
AJ - 6 a decent cameo without ever truly sparking
Locadia - 6 much to do about nothing

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
From the centre of WSU i.e. an excellent view of the whole pitch

5 is average

Ryan - 6.5 some decent blocks to keep the score down. from the replay I thought he might have stopped second goal.
Montoya - 5.5 does a reasonable job and better choice of than schelotto. He is not as good as Bruno more importantly he doesn't that same relationship with AK which improved both players contribution
Bong - 5 no understanding between him and March. Can't play ball forward. Reasonable defensively but his inability to get ball forward means more pressure on the defence
Dunk - 5. - A big fan but something is not right. That said Kane was kept quiet for 3rd game in a row
Duffy - 6 strong and dominating the backline but his footballing skills are not his strength and that is a worry with Dunk off form and playing
Knockaert - 7.5 Up and down but when he got moving almost won the game on his own. Not sure if the sitter was quite as clear cut as people make out. MOTM
Bissouma - 5 nothing really constructive and he should have been marking Lemana for second goal
Propper -6 still not convinced. does some great things but enough to win games
Stephens - N/A
March - 6 thought he was ok BUT on a couple of occasions should have carried ball more into the box to invite a challenge . I certainly would have preferred him to stay on rather than bringing on Locadia
Murray - 5 not his best game but playing in the worst role a striker can have
Kayal - 7 thought he added a lot to the team by driving forward
AJ - 5.5 ok but nothing to get excited about
Locadia - 3 really seems so off the pace that he needs game time elsewhere as with Southampton game it seemed that we played with 10 players when he came on

But to put this in context Spurs had two players on the pitch either of whose sale value would be more than the cost of our whole team.

They were there though for the taking as the second half showed and we should have had a point

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 7

Montoya 7
Dunk 6
Duffy 7
Bong 5

March 6
Stephens 6
Propper 6
Knockaert 8