Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When Hughton says "we" does he mean us or Spurs? :jester:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought aj was bloody excellent when he came on again. Why hughton prefers march over him I have no idea

Well he is manager and I am a old moaning git.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought aj was bloody excellent when he came on again. Why hughton prefers march over him I have no idea

Well he is manager and I am a old moaning git.

Considering just how good Trippier and Moura are I think Solly and Bong both had decent games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Solly played really well, which was just as well, because Bong was struggling IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trippier was playing like a footballer living up to his WC hype, given half the chance I'm sure he could have been us on his own.
The fact he wasn't given that half chance is good enough for me. (sadly not those around me, who as predicted slated both Solly and Bong, all first half).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Trippier was playing like a footballer living up to his WC hype, given half the chance I'm sure he could have been us on his own.
The fact he wasn't given that half chance is good enough for me. (sadly not those around me, who as predicted slated both Solly and Bong, all first half).

Funny how we see the game, thought Trippier was poor and March (certainly in the second half) owned him.

Surprised he was withdrawn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how we see the game, thought Trippier was poor and March (certainly in the second half) owned him.

Surprised he was withdrawn.

Ah there you go.
It was all happening right in front of us, in the first half.
I could barely see the West Stand for the second. :lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
March wasn’t making the runs José does Bong had to keep hold of the ball for to long for much of the game

Not sure I agree. Three times in the second half he chose to keep it, instead of hitting the hole.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Spurs treated it like a friendly after the second.

Need to start a lot quicker, they would have fallen apart if we had done that and scored first given recent form.

You mean a little bit like United did? Funny what happens when you get up and at ‘em with the top six.

Not saying it’s going to happen every time but surely at HOME that’s the better tactic to try and deploy than the suck it and see of today.

Lush

Mods' Pet
By not making any new signings pre-season, Spurs looked like a team that has been playing together for months if not years - which they pretty much have. They always seemed to know exactly where their players were going to be and what they were going to do when they got the ball. No-one looked uncomfortable.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I don't see what's wrong with that. He doesn't say we played as well as them, just that we had as many good opportunities as them.
Duffy Header
AK's shot save with his feet
March Shot
AK almost played through
AK's goal.
AK's second saved shot near the end.
The disallowed goal (a side step to the right before the cross comes in and could have still got on the end and finish it).
Every corner could have seen a penalty given for Rose's constant grabbing of Kayal's neck/shirt.
And I feel like I might be missing some of other chances in that brief period of attacking play at 0-1

All incidents where a little extra quality could have seen us score.

For all their possession, how many good opportunities did they have?

Ryan save from the corner early on
The free kick that resulted in...
The penalty
Their second goal
Late save one-on-one by Ryan (which may have been one of the:...)
Three chances for Kane at 0-2, according to Naylor.

That's 7/8 good chances for each team. They had the quality to put theirs away, we didn't.

That can all be true, and Tottenham still dominate the game for the most part, still deserve to win (in part because they have the quality to convert their chances). It doesn't mean he was watching a different game or is one-eyed. He is just focusing on the positives rather than laying into the team. Which you would expect from most managers (at least until their job is on the line and they try to deflect from their own failings).

c7e744e0b49bbedc47b0103d4acc287a.png

Hmm I know stats can be misleading but I beg to differ....

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
c7e744e0b49bbedc47b0103d4acc287a.png

Hmm I know stats can be misleading but I beg to differ....

Yeah, and? He didn't say we had the same number of shots, he said we had the same number of good opportunities. Those stats include the wasteful shots from distance that didn't trouble anyone, shots that were easily blocked and neither were really a prime shooting opportunities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was envious of their passing game which we used to have. It is a great defensive tactic when you are on a losing run. Not that good for actually scoring goals, unless they face Man United who chase them around like blue-arsed flies and get burned for their troubles. 0-3.

Better to play like Juventus. We created more big chances than Juventus.

Last edited:

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Interesting topic and responses so far. Not being from the UK my intention was to watch the full game in the morning when I woke up but Bein didn't have it on catch up yet being the late game and the review show was on live so I couldn't resist watching the highlights. I came away from the highlights thinking we had the better opportunities and particularly Lamela's goal felt against the run of play and just that superior finishing got them over the line so Chris's post match comments were already what I was thinking. Of course seeing the stats in this thread I wasn't aware of the possession domination and it obviously wasn't against the run of play, but from key game moments it felt like we had more. I think Pochettino's expressions at the final whistle sums it up, they could easily have drawn that.

For interest I've gone back and rewatched highlights on demand to see if I was watching with rose tinted glasses.

S) Spurs corner -> Alderweireld saved by Ryan.
S) Tripper free kick into wall -> penalty Murrays arm, Kane scores.
B) Knockaert corner, cleared to March, shot from distance tipped over.
B) Knockaert corner, cleared, back in and Duffy converts, but offside.
B) Knockaert corner, Murray goes down with appeals for penalty. Replays seem to show Dier is grabbing Dunk's shirt and trying to push him backwards, but with Dunk coming forward Dier loses his footing, pulling Dunk down and falls backwards putting his arm across Murray in the process bringing him down. Could have gone either way.
B) Bissouma to Kayal to Knockaert who cuts inside but shoots at keeper. Big chance.
S) Lamela gets ball in dangerous position, Bissouma puts in good shift to get in front of him so Lamela passes wide, but then Bissoma just stops marking him and Lamela runs forward with all the space in the world, receives return pass and finishes.
S) Kane straight through but poor finish.
B) Brighton counter, Knockaert from outwide, cuts in and scores.
B) Good interplay down left and then passed across to Knockaert centre right who has a good opportunity to shoot from the edge of the box but its tame and at keeper.

So from the highlights version of the most significant moments of the game, there are 4 Spurs opportunities and 6 Brighton opportunities.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here