Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We had as many good opportunities as Spurs

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Having watched the highlights on MOTD I was shocked to realise just how few chances Spurs created. They had more possession but looked like a Gus team and barely threatened our goal

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Having watched the highlights on MOTD I was shocked to realise just how few chances Spurs created. They had more possession but looked like a Gus team and barely threatened our goal
Hmmm highlights obviously didn't show everything then. Kane missed 3 one on ones. At the point where knockaert missed the sitter we were well on top with chances. If he scored that could have been a different game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
March wasn’t making the runs José does Bong had to keep hold of the ball for to long for much of the game

This is ALWAYS the case with March. He so often gives the ball, either to Bing, or inside to one of the midfielders and then just stands there......seems to have forgotten that he is supposed to run down the wing now and again. So frustrating.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting topic and responses so far. Not being from the UK my intention was to watch the full game in the morning when I woke up but Bein didn't have it on catch up yet being the late game and the review show was on live so I couldn't resist watching the highlights. I came away from the highlights thinking we had the better opportunities and particularly Lamela's goal felt against the run of play and just that superior finishing got them over the line so Chris's post match comments were already what I was thinking. Of course seeing the stats in this thread I wasn't aware of the possession domination and it obviously wasn't against the run of play, but from key game moments it felt like we had more. I think Pochettino's expressions at the final whistle sums it up, they could easily have drawn that.

For interest I've gone back and rewatched highlights on demand to see if I was watching with rose tinted glasses.

S) Spurs corner -> Alderweireld saved by Ryan.
S) Tripper free kick into wall -> penalty Murrays arm, Kane scores.
B) Knockaert corner, cleared to March, shot from distance tipped over.
B) Knockaert corner, cleared, back in and Duffy converts, but offside.
B) Knockaert corner, Murray goes down with appeals for penalty. Replays seem to show Dier is grabbing Dunk's shirt and trying to push him backwards, but with Dunk coming forward Dier loses his footing, pulling Dunk down and falls backwards putting his arm across Murray in the process bringing him down. Could have gone either way.
B) Bissouma to Kayal to Knockaert who cuts inside but shoots at keeper. Big chance.
S) Lamela gets ball in dangerous position, Bissouma puts in good shift to get in front of him so Lamela passes wide, but then Bissoma just stops marking him and Lamela runs forward with all the space in the world, receives return pass and finishes.
S) Kane straight through but poor finish.
B) Brighton counter, Knockaert from outwide, cuts in and scores.
B) Good interplay down left and then passed across to Knockaert centre right who has a good opportunity to shoot from the edge of the box but its tame and at keeper.

So from the highlights version of the most significant moments of the game, there are 4 Spurs opportunities and 6 Brighton opportunities.

You missed

Son hitting the corner flag when free in the area.
Christian shooting just wide
Last ditch tackle on Rose
Kane’s shot that was palmed away by Ryan
Alli’s useless cross to Kane

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Even in the first half where we hardly kicked the ball, Spurs didn't really create anything. Ryan made one good save from the corner.. other than that I don't remember anything.

First 25 mins oif 2nd half I thought we were very good, also without really making there Keeper make a save of note, the AK chance was the big one and when he was also through and the ball got stuck under his feet.

I don't think Hughton is saying anything outrageous with his comments. Clearly Spurs were the better side, but on big chances I think he isn't that far off..

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Brighton seem to start slowly. By the time we were 2-0 you started to play. If you played the whole match like you ended it, you'd have got something, however did think we just deserved the win.

Hughton should be more positive at home regardless of the team.

Still i am impressed with Brighton. They aren't getting turned over by anyone and have enough skill in the team to beat most.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton seem to start slowly. By the time we were 2-0 you started to play. If you played the whole match like you ended it, you'd have got something, however did think we just deserved the win.

Hughton should be more positive at home regardless of the team.

Still i am impressed with Brighton. They aren't getting turned over by anyone and have enough skill in the team to beat most.

An accurate assessment.

Brighton's 10 man deep defence handed all initiative to the away team. The only team I ever witnessed gaining regular results from that approach were the Chelsea CL winners, in beating Barca and others. But they had a striker who had it all, Drogba.

Inexplicably Brighton ditched everything that was good in that incredible first half performance against ManU.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
An accurate assessment.

Brighton's 10 man deep defence handed all initiative to the away team. The only team I ever witnessed gaining regular results from that approach were the Chelsea CL winners, in beating Barca and others. But they had a striker who had it all, Drogba.

Inexplicably Brighton ditched everything that was good in that incredible first half performance against ManU.

I'm not sure it's that inexplicable. Spurs are way better and more dangerous than United.

I seem to be in the minority but, dull as it is, I can totally get behind the cautious approach against the top sides. Our two most cavalier performances against the so-called top-6 sides last year resulted in us being beaten 5-1 and 4-0 at home.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure it's that inexplicable. Spurs are way better and more dangerous than United.

I seem to be in the minority but, dull as it is, I can totally get behind the cautious approach against the top sides. Our two most cavalier performances against the so-called top-6 sides last year resulted in us being beaten 5-1 and 4-0 at home.

A mixed bag, with ManU this season and taking it to Liverpool in the second half at Anfield this season not leading to hammerings of the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here