Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Apologies to the whingers - but reality check about our start to the season

larus

We’ve played 3 ‘Top 6 Teams’,
BHA 3-2 Man Utd
Pool 1-0 BHA
BHA 1-2 Spurs

So, after playing 3 top 6 teams, we have 3 points and a GD of -1 from the 3 games. We aren’t spending £50m on one player, so for those who are whinging about the result today, just f‘k off.

No one likes to lose - but we aren’t at that level.

Compared to the ‘rabbits in the headlights’ sometimes last season, we look stronger and more threatening. We aren’t, for the foreseeable future, going to be taking the game to teams like this, so it will always be about containment and counter attacking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BHA 3-2 Man Utd
Pool 1-0 BHA
BHA 1-2 Spurs

So, after playing 3 top 6 teams, we have 3 points and a GD of -1 from the 3 games. We aren’t spending £50m on one player, so for those who are whinging about the result today, just f‘k off.

Compared to the ‘rabbits in the headlights’ sometimes last season, we look stronger and more threatening. We aren’t, for the foreseeable future, going to be taking the game to teams like this, so it will always be about containment and counter attacking.

Expectations from an increasing number of fans are now reaching a deluded level.

We need to get back to the halcyon days when we won the Premier League, the FA and League Cup and conquered Europe obviously

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You're right of course. I don't think anyone is disappointed at losing 1-2 to spurs, but I do think fans have a right to be concerned /disappointed at our first half performances of late. Tonight wasn't a one off, we are consistently having to chase games at the moment

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
BHA 3-2 Man Utd
Pool 1-0 BHA
BHA 1-2 Spurs

could not agree more,we are never going to be in the top ten teams in the Premiership, so its for this or the Championship again which could well be the better option

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
BHA 3-2 Man Utd
Pool 1-0 BHA
BHA 1-2 Spurs

Nail. On. Head.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But on the other side of the coin, we’ve also played Watford, Fulham and Southampton and only have 5 points after 6 games.

And have only played well in one game this season, which we won.

We’re going to be on 5 points after 7 games with a very negative goal difference after the City game which is going to put us under a lot of pressure for the next few games.

I think it’s been a poor start to the season and as much as Hughton’s loyalty is commendable, we need to start seeing some changes to the starting 11 as we look anaemic most of the time.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spurs were favourites, but the negative football against Spurs and Stains giving them total control from the whistle, is painful to watch. Next to no attacking intent, Murray isolated. Allowing the hitherto struggling opposition to believe they’re kings.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Should be beating teams like Spurs ...

They were in CRISIS coming into this game
What?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Also on the other hand:

Last season
A v Watford 1pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 1pt
Total: 6pts

This
A v Watford 0pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 0pt

Total 4 points

Is it really unfair to be disappointed that we have not got (or even deserved, really) as many points from these same fixtures with a supposedly improved squad? Is expecting to at least match last season, again given the improvement in the squad, really a deluded level of expectation?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also on the other hand:

Last season
A v Watford 1pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 1pt

This
A v Watford 0pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 0pt

Total 4 points

Is it really unfair to be disappointed that we have not got (or even deserved, really) as many points from these same fixtures with a supposedly improved squad? Is expecting to at least match last season, again given the improvement in the squad, really a deluded level of expectation?

No it’s completely fair minded.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies to the whingers - but reality check about out start to the season.

You're right of course. I don't think anyone is disappointed at losing 1-2 to spurs, but I do think fans have a right to be concerned /disappointed at our first half performances of late. Tonight wasn't a one off, we are consistently having to chase games at the moment

Agree, let’s not hide behind ‘they’re a top 6 team’, they were ordinary and we were poor other than for a 20 minute spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Also on the other hand:

Last season
A v Watford 1pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 1pt

This
A v Watford 0pt
H v Man U 3 pt
A v Liverpool 0pt
A v Southampton 1pt
H v Tottenham 0pt

Total 4 points

No but we also have to bear in mind that it's not just us who have improved our squad and whilst we have taken less points from Watford and Spurs this season we'll probably take more points off someone else.

I think we're playing to a reasonable standard so far, it's disappointing to ship 2 in each of the last 3 but equally I feel more confident in us scoring a goal than I did last season. We've still got Izquierdo to return from injury and Andone/Jahanbakhsh to blend more into the squad. I'm feeling pretty positive about this season. Not top 10 or anything but I don't anticipate us getting into a situation where we are in the bottom 3 and panicking.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are a few around me at the amex ... and plenty on here who so seem to think we should be p***ing this league.

For the foreseeable future we'll be in a relegation fight ... until we get relegated. Same as at least 10 other teams. It's just the way of the division.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No but we also have to bear in mind that it's not just us who have improved our squad and whilst we have taken less points from Watford and Spurs this season we'll probably take more points off someone else.

The other way of looking at that is that we haven't improved our squad enough to keep up. And sure, we might take more points in games to come than in their corresponding games last season, but people are reacting to what has happened, not what might happen in the future.

I think we're playing to a reasonable standard so far, it's disappointing to ship 2 in each of the last 3 but equally I feel more confident in us scoring a goal than I did last season. We've still got Izquierdo to return from injury and Andone/Jahanbakhsh to blend more into the squad. I'm feeling pretty positive about this season. Not top 10 or anything but I don't anticipate us getting into a situation where we are in the bottom 3 and panicking.

Are we? We turned it on against Man U and, fruitlessly, Liverpool, but in the other games? Watford, Southampton for at least 60mins, are described as some of our worst performances in the premier league. Our performance against Tottenham? We sat back and let them control the game and deserved to lose. We had a brief period where we took the game to them, but then sat back again until the last two minutes of injury time. Fulham felt at the time like a good performance, felt like we dominated them, but conceded two goals (and didn't have the bulk of possession) - was it that good? Even if it is, is it enough to play well in a loss and a draw (especially when that draw is the sort of game we should be looking to win - home against a newly promoted side - if we're looking to stay up again)?

Personally, I go back and forth on whether I'm positive about this year, our results and performances, but in the context of results and performances, it seems disingenuous to describe anyone who is upset as having unrealistic expectations when we are clearly not achieving as well as we did last season (that is, it isn't deluded to expect to match last year, that simply saying 'we've played top x amount of games v top six as if it is unreasonable to expect us to attain something we have done before - when, for instance, Tottenham were in a better run of form when we faced them last season, etc)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I admit to being disappointed at our start - but I am certainly very confident of avoiding relegation this season. So for me its more about getting some rhythm into this squad.

Firstly, inevitably, we are having more injuries this season and its affecting our play - Izquierdo, Gross, Dunk and now Stephens missing time has all had knock-on impacts on us.

Last year we strengthened our promotion side where we had to, and created a first-choice XI that played pretty much the whole season, they stayed up on team spirit and hard work and commitment. This year we have added another 5 or 6 quality pieces and CH is having to try and fit them into the side and its not proving as simple, primarily because there wasn't a single position that obviously needed an upgrade. Well, maybe one, striker, but Murray has made it impossible to drop him, whilst at the same time still being a hindrance to our more flowing attacking play. AJ should be playing but his best position is the same as our best player this season. Bissouma is a work in progress but looks highly promising, but his best position looks to be the same as the only one of our three central midfielders who hasn't got injured.

Its all got a bit disjointed, like yesterday against Spurs wanting, correctly, to bring AJ on, but the only place CH could see to fit him was in place of March on the left wing. March had just had an electric 10 minutes, this isn't AJ's preferred position so Knockaert who was causing damage on the right was switched and almost inevitably our attacking play was killed stone-dead for the next 20 minutes. Meanwhile Bissouma is getting in Propper's way causing the latter to go completely missing. There is no obvious replacement for what Stephens does in our midfield so I'm worried to lose him. Bernardo perhaps?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree, let’s not hide behind ‘they’re a top 6 team’, they were ordinary and we were poor other than for a 20 minute spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointed in you Teddy! Your expectations are getting to be too much! We HAVE improved on last year it’s just a painfully slow progress, have more patience :smile:

CH will integrate the newbies more over the next few games and we will move forward...imo

I am actually way more confident in our ability to stay up this year, Saints apart we have actually done OK. Watford are the surprise package so far so my disappointment at that shite display is now tempered with the realisation that they are quite good. Fulham are also a good side who will turn over better teams than us. We have taken three points off Liverpool, Spurs and Utd. We got no points off the top six for months last season.

Oh and we’ve come from two goals behind twice, nearly thrice. There is absolutely no way we would have pulled that off last season

Patience is the key, not knee jerk slagging off of anybody and everybody when we disappoint (not suggesting that’s you btw but there are quite a few on here who are staring to lob toys out of prams and stamping their feet and having tantrums.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is of course no justification for 'hooten OUTism' if there is any (I haven't seen it). But there is also no reason to argue that CH ought to consider being a bit more positive at the start of games. We do have the staff. He has decided to back Bissouma, which is commendable (Bissouma hasn't quite got it yet but hopefully will). Kayal looked amazing when he came on yesterday. And Ali J hasn't put a foot wrong in his few minutes on the pitch. And our 'starting eleven' can also play a bit.....just a little tweaking for the start of games (positivity yes, personnel probably) ought to be on CH's agenda now. I appreciate Citeh are likely to build us a second garage, but it would be nice if standing back and letting them have free accss to the bricks and cement during the first 20 is not part of our actual game plan....

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
This is only what I have heard anyone lamenting about. Don't think anyone has a problem with the result against spurs. It's the not turning up in the first half bit that's causing angst. Plus it being the third game in a row we were chasing a two goal deficit. Which would have been accepted better yesterday. Had we not already done against Fulham and Saints.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here