Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good points.

I know CH isn't going anytime soon but he isn't above reproach. There are some on here who revere him as if he is untouchable because of what we have achieved. No manager and no player is bigger than the club. At the moment we have only one win under our belt and that is likely to remain the case at least until the 5th Oct!

I think you are exaggerating to prove your point. Nobody is revering Chris Hughton, but we don't want to make the same mistake as Newcastle who sacked him when they were 11th in the table.
We have to be a lot more pragmatic in this league.. We aren't going to get wins regularly, and the aim is 40 points. Obviously I hope we get more, but stats like we haven't won away this year, and only winning two games away in the whole of last season is just looking for negatives. There are plenty of negatives to look for, but that will just make everyone miserable.

Yes, we can improve, but I still reckon Hughton is the best guy to do it. Hopefully our injuries will clear up soon, so we can start to compete like I know we can.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
To suggest sacking CH is ridiculous. He is one of the best managers we've ever had and I hope he stays for
many years to come, even if we did at some point get relegated.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you are exaggerating to prove your point. Nobody is revering Chris Hughton, but we don't want to make the same mistake as Newcastle who sacked him when they were 11th in the table.
We have to be a lot more pragmatic in this league.. We aren't going to get wins regularly, and the aim is 40 points. Obviously I hope we get more, but stats like we haven't won away this year, and only winning two games away in the whole of last season is just looking for negatives. There are plenty of negatives to look for, but that will just make everyone miserable.

Yes, we can improve, but I still reckon Hughton is the best guy to do it. Hopefully our injuries will clear up soon, so we can start to compete like I know we can.

And sticking your fingers in your ears and singing ding a ling a ling doesn't help. The negatives are that our away form is abysmal and we stayed up last year because of what we achieved at the Amex. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest our away form is going to improve so we are going to have to rely on the home form again.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Perfectly fair question. Realistically, based on the teams we have faced so far, perhaps just a couple of points better off as we might have hoped for a home win against Fulham.

It's not so much our position that worries me, as the fact that we know that we can take the match to opponents, as our recent fight backs have demonstrated. It's more that we wait until we are behind before we show our claws.

I am probably most worried that we have yet to keep a clean sheet. In fact, we've conceded two goals in every single match except Liverpool. Given that we face four of the big six in our opening seven fixtures I suppose that's to be expected but should we really be conceding two to Southampton and Fulham (at home no less)? If that continues it will make our life so much harder to generate the points needed for safety.

Fair point. I think we may have been a little conplacent going into the Fulham game... but this is a team who blew a fortune pre-season looking to buy survival so it was niave to expect them to roll over easily.

Other than Fulham, I think we are were we could be expected to be... bottom half but clear of the drop zone. Everything is far from perfect but second season in, i wasn't expecting much. So for me, a goal against Citeh will be a victory, however many they score.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Danny Murphy on MOTD summed up our problem in that we give teams too much respect and do not go for them from the off like yesterday in the first 10 mins giving a rookie keeper time to settle.

As regards CH if you see his actions etc compared to the muppet Hughes at Southampton I am glad that we have CH.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And sticking your fingers in your ears and singing ding a ling a ling doesn't help. The negatives are that our away form is abysmal and we stayed up last year because of what we achieved at the Amex. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest our away form is going to improve so we are going to have to rely on the home form again.

Many of the new signings have yet to come fully onstream. In most cases this league is all alien to them, no particular reason it should be any more difficult to perform away from home. Tho have to admit to never really understanding that underperforming away from home thing anyway. Always seems like a cop-out to me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually that is debatable. Our form over the last 15 league games is as follows:
Played 15
Won 2 (thank you Manchester United)
Drawn 5
Lost 8
Thats relegation form in anyone's language and suggests a degree of underperformance doesnt it?

Crikey, what stats!!

A win is very much needed in so many ways, not least for squad confidence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Crikey, what stats!!

A win is very much needed in so many ways, not least for squad confidence.

United twice
Tottenham twice
Liverpool twice
City once

Just how many of those should we have won? So five of our eight defeats have come against the top 4

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

So do most of the 'also-rans' who stay up.I'm sure I saw CH walking on water yesterday,and I wasn't at all surprised.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not so sure that a quality mid-table squad is in place, yet. Left back, pace for the counter, creativity and strikers all require addressing in future windows (if we stay up). Making CH cautious, but for obvious reasons the club won't discuss publically. But I acknowledge your point regarding use of subs, plus also AJ benchwarming.

Be patient on that one - That lad will be being raved about by the end of the season. People who have worked in football many years and who know what they want from a player, know when it is right to fully embed them into their set up.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Hughton has two(ish) jobs to do this season- keep us up and bed in our expenisive recruits (including preparing us for life without Murray). That's it.
Means we're being set-up the way we are because he feels this is the best thing to do. Clearly, he is a great guy who is instilling the right kind of ethos and environment at the club. Clearly Bloom is smitten. Players want to play for him. The camp seems happy.
I'm as voracious for better as most when we play the way we have been, but this is the crux of matter. He is beyond judgment at the moment. We just need to accept that this is the long game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hughton out is the height of stupidity to me, a symptom of the now, now, now malaise that affects parts of society these days (football fans in particular!). Even if we go down (and I don't feel too worried about this season, not yet anyway) Chris would be my manager of choice too get us promoted again. CH though is a strong character (or a stubborn one, depending on your perspective) and maybe his theories could do with a little tweak now, if there is someone out there who can persuade him to be just a little bit more attacking that would be good - it would certainly be welcome to many!
Please note, I am not advocating Duffy or Maty whacking the ball upfield and 6 or 7 players in blue and white galloping after it, not a change of plan, just a little tweak. I don't know who there is out there that can do this - is there someone who has some influence over him, from whom 'a little word in his ear' might not go unheeded?
Because the stat that concerns me most is that in 4 games out of six this season we've conceded two goals before we start playing (and we didn't even do that at Watford!)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Hughton out is the height of stupidity to me, a symptom of the now, now, now malaise that affects parts of society these days (football fans in particular!). Even if we go down (and I don't feel too worried about this season, not yet anyway) Chris would be my manager of choice too get us promoted again. CH though is a strong character (or a stubborn one, depending on your perspective) and maybe his theories could do with a little tweak now, if there is someone out there who can persuade him to be just a little bit more attacking that would be good - it would certainly be welcome to many!
Please note, I am not advocating Duffy or Maty whacking the ball upfield and 6 or 7 players in blue and white galloping after it, just not getting to the edge of the penalty area, turning, and passing the ball back to Stephens or Propper in the centre circle - not a change of plan, just a little tweak. I don't know who there is out there that can do this - is there someone who has some influence over him, from whom 'a little word in his ear' might not go unheeded?
Because the stat that concerns me most is that in 4 games out of six this season we've conceded two goals before we start playing (and we didn't even do that at Watford!)

He'd benefit a little from a real maverick amongst the coaching IMHO. Just someone with the polar opposite mindset to play devils advocate and shake things up a bit. He clearly likes having 'his men' around him, as most do, but sometimes it's good to have a different voice.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He'd benefit a little from a real maverick amongst the coaching IMHO. Just someone with the polar opposite mindset to play devils advocate and shake things up a bit. He clearly likes having 'his men' around him, as most do, but sometimes it's good to have a different voice.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I was trying to say, only longer!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that Danny Murphy on MOTD summed up our problem in that we give teams too much respect and do not go for them from the off like yesterday in the first 10 mins giving a rookie keeper time to settle.As regards CH if you see his actions etc compared to the muppet Hughes at Southampton I am glad that we have CH.

Is that the same Danny Murphy who has never even dipped his toes in the Football Mangement waters but thinks he knows everything about it.

Let me ask you this - What do you do when you are Managing a football team and preparing to play a particular opponent

1. You get your own players prepared as much as you can but

2. And just as importantly you watch their previous games to see what it might take to beat them.

They have lost 3 and in every one of those 3 games Spurs have had 54% 60% and 66% possession - so it is not hard to understand that you can concede possession to Spurs. Let them burn themselves out physically and hit them on the counter attack as a means of beating them.

OK it didn't happen because on the counter attack we squandered our opportunities but with a bit more composure in the final third by a few of our players we could quite conceivably have done the same as Watford, Inter Milan and Liverpool did to them.

So I think the tactics were fine but we just didn't have the ''cutting edge'' when we got into scoring opportunities.

D

Deleted member 2719

Be patient on that one - That lad will be being raved about by the end of the season. People who have worked in football many years and who know what they want from a player, know when it is right to fully embed them into their set up.

Stick him in, if he is the next wonder lad, it's not as if he is a 10 year old.

Let him prove himself and grow some balls, this form of control is way too protective IMO, if he doesn't play he will never learn and be a world beater. I am sure he is hungry enough.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is that the same Danny Murphy who has never even dipped his toes in the Football Mangement waters but thinks he knows everything about it.

Let me ask you this - What do you do when you are Managing a football team and preparing to play a particular opponent

1. You get your own players prepared as much as you can but

2. And just as importantly you watch their previous games to see what it might take to beat them.

They have lost 3 and in every one of those 3 games Spurs have had 54% 60% and 66% possession - so it is not hard to understand that you can concede possession to Spurs. Let them burn themselves out physically and hit them on the counter attack as a means of beating them.

OK it didn't happen because on the counter attack we squandered our opportunities but with a bit more composure in the final third by a few of our players we could quite conceivably have done the same as Watford, Inter Milan and Liverpool did to them.

So I think the tactics were fine but we just didn't have the ''cutting edge'' when we got into scoring opportunities.

Teams without the ball have to cover more ground in chasing the ball (and shadows).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here