Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He is a well respected manager but that doesnt mean that he cannot make mistakes and I just happen to think bringing Dunk back was a big one. Knockhaert has improved in the last 2 or 3 games to become more of a team player,so much so that he was my MOM against Spurs. As regards Kayal I think that he did ok but was not good against Spurs so much so that I think losing Stephens and having to move Propper to accommodate Kayal contributed heavily to our defeat. Kayal is not a Stephens or even a Sidwell.but as I have said he has served us well in the past but time to move on in January if we can sign Nick Powell or similar.

Yeah, get Sidders back in the first eleven PRONTO, Chris :ffsparr:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not quite sure what point you are making? Are you suggesting the best policy isn't to buy new players? Surely it's more about the quality of the players you buy!

I think he’s making a great point.

The team needs to evolve and move on. You can’t just keep relying on the same players you need to keep actively managing and moving the team on. Chris record at Norwich suggests he struggled to do this.

Alex Ferguson was an absolute master of churning his team and buying new players even when they had been successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The team needs to evolve and move on. You can’t just keep relying on the same players you need to keep actively managing and moving the team on. Chris record at Norwich suggests he struggled to do this.

Alex Ferguson was an absolute master of churning his team and buying new players even when they had been successful.

To use an analogy, Sir Alex was shopping in the football equivalent of Waitrose or M&S, CH is shopping in Aldi. I do hope we haven't signed the next van Wolfswinkle though......

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I feel the same about Bissouma; however, I am not worried that we can't shoehorn him into the side comfortably just yet because h is only 21 and he himself will play his way into his best position over the next year or so. At the moment he plays like a youngster getting caught in possession but that will be put right gradually.

I'm amazed he's anywhere near the first team at age 21. Normally he'd be in the Development Squad for 18 months before disappearing without trace!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I still haven't forgiven him for picking Jiri Skalak at home v 'dont worry we will beat Bristol City' after the cluste**** at Norwich to land a major piece of silverware in my lifetime.

Therefore I am not the best person to ask.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Alex Ferguson was an absolute master of churning his team and buying new players even when they had been successful

Hughton managed Norwich for what, 22 months? Ferguson finished 2nd in his first season, then 11th, 13th and 6th. He splashed millions in that period. Ferguson's moving the team on moved them backwards if you compare the same time periods they were given. He pretty much played a 4-4-2 for 20 years!

Compare Hughton's record with us over 45 months, taking over at the brink of relegation, then missing out of goal difference, promotion, then survival. Ferguson didn't move his teams on as rapidly as you're suggesting, he established a core of players, and trimmed around the edges - exactly as Hughton is doing. You build a solid core and spine, then improve around that.

If you actually scrutinise your own comparison, look at Ferguson's record more closely, in achievements and transfers, I think you'll find as many similarities as there are differences.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton managed Norwich for what, 22 months? Ferguson finished 2nd in his first season, then 11th, 13th and 6th. He splashed millions in that period. Ferguson's moving the team on moved them backwards if you compare the same time periods they were given. He pretty much played a 4-4-2 for 20 years!

Compare Hughton's record with us over 45 months, taking over at the brink of relegation, then missing out of goal difference, promotion, then survival. Ferguson didn't move his teams on as rapidly as you're suggesting, he established a core of players, and trimmed around the edges - exactly as Hughton is doing. You build a solid core and spine, then improve around that.

If you actually scrutinise your own comparison, look at Ferguson's record more closely, in achievements and transfers, I think you'll find as many similarities as there are differences.

I seem to remember that Ferguson was a win against Oxford United (?) from getting the sack

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t normally bother looking at other clubs forums ..but considering this thread and that there are teams below us ..I had a gander at one ..found this thread on the Huddersfield one interesting

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/110492/unsackable-problem

Even before reading that, my personal opinion was that the Wagner halo effect has long since worn off and that his tenure may be coming to a natural end. Perhaps his methods have a shelf life.

With CH, 'the project' appears longer term and he deserves for the first time in his managerial career a chance to see it through, to evolve.

Still, there's always whippet racing and pigeon fancying to turn to and cheer folk up in Hudd.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t normally bother looking at other clubs forums ..but considering this thread and that there are teams below us ..I had a gander at one ..found this thread on the Huddersfield one interesting

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/110492/unsackable-problem

Even before reading that, my personal opinion was that the Wagner halo effect has long since worn off and that his tenure may be coming to a natural end. Perhaps his methods have a shelf life.

With CH, 'the project' appears longer term and he deserves for the first time in his managerial career a chance to see it through, to evolve.

Still, there's always whippet racing and pigeon fancying to turn to and cheer folk up in Hudd.

Interesting read....some decent observations on there, thanks for posting

Any rival fan coming on the NSC at this moment in time will see 'Hughton Out-discuss' as the top thread...............................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting read....some decent observations on there, thanks for posting

Any rival fan coming on the NSC at this moment in time will see 'Hughton Out-discuss' as the top thread...............................

and then see that only 1 or 2 persons wanted him out, possibly. The headline deceived them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just to confirm the facts here. Someone has started a Hughton out thread after we just lost narrowly 2-1 to Spurs, having beaten Manchester United a few weeks prior (for the second time in a row).

Imagine telling yourself about this thread back in say, 2006, as we pondered whether to start with Alex Revell or Jake Robinson up top against Southend that weekend.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just to confirm the facts here. Someone has started a Hughton out thread after we just lost narrowly 2-1 to Spurs, having beaten Manchester United a few weeks prior (for the second time in a row).

Imagine telling yourself about this thread back in say, 2006, as we pondered whether to start with Alex Revell or Jake Robinson up top against Southend that weekend.

or sitting at withdean , freezing yer kahoonaz of,f watching us get beat by southend on boxing day .....!! i agree , i think the way we start the games is a matter of concern for the fans and knowing we can give anyone a run for their money if we play appropriately ....frustrating but i think we'll be ok this year ....just.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Choices. To start with Graeme Smith or play a goalkeeper?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I’d have struggled to imagine that when Sammy Hyypia had worked his magic for half a season and CH had just arrived if I am totally honest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here