Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Which is why I’d play Locadia against City :smile:

100% free hit, we are really going to get feck all at the Etihad.

The problem is when he is isolated and can't score, people will use it as proof he's not good enough.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton is really going for it this time.
...in his explanation for how and why he set up against Spurs. Rues the penalty obviously.

"“If you are too brave in these games, they can open you up.
“There are different ways to win games and we always have to determine tactically the best way to do that.
“I genuinely feel without the penalty we go in 0-0 at half-time with the opportunity to get stronger in the second half.
“We will go through the game again and pick things out we could have done better but it’s very difficult against the level of the players you are up against.
“They have top quality players and when you are that close, at pitch level, you see the qualities they’ve got and the way they can play through you with your (Christian) Eriksens.”
“Tottenham are a very expansive team and, with the way they play, it’s very difficult to press them as much as you would like to at times.
“But there are always going to be periods of the game when you are able to do that better and you need to get to that period.
“Up until the penalty I’m struggling to remember a clear chance they had. You know you can improve your game and that you will have chances when the game opens up. It was certainly disappointing to give the penalty away.”

via https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16897923.chris-hughton-defends-albion-game-plan/

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He said the same pre match about Southampton regarding how great they are [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not sure I agree. We were more reserved yesterday than we were against MU. Whether that was due to the players or CH's instructions is a different point, but just have a look at Danny Murphy's analysis on MotD about how we held back yesterday. We went for it from the off against United and ended up with three goals in the first half. We only really started playing yesterday in the second half.

Is there genuinly a pyschological thing about attacking the home end, the North in our case? All 6 home goals in 3 games so far this season have been in the North, and it seemed like we scored far more in that end in previous seasons.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think some of our fans think they are supporting a better team than Brighton. Sad that a thread like this is even started, the op should have a word with himself after thinking how far we have come since CH arrived. Whether we like it or not survival is all that actually matters now that we are at the top table, we are on course to give ourselves a chance. We are not going to be one of the attractive teams in this division for a while, if ever.

I think there could come a time, 2-3 seasons down the line if the status quo hasn't progressed much and we're still just surviving in the Premier League, where there could be a realistic discussion about Hughton's tactics and whether we need to see a more exciting brand of football if all we're aiming at is survival/mid-table each year.

But for now, I'm 100% in agreement with this. Hughton has done an incredible job, we're still progressing and evolving, and a couple of early season poorer results shouldn't change that. The guy has earned the right to keep his job for the foreseeable future.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It was good that Knocky got one Saturday.

Before the game it was only Murray and Duffy that had scored this season.

We NEED goals from midfield.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Hughton (not really a) Paradox

Do I think there's a manager who would actually come to us at the moment who might see us to a higher league position than Hughton will this year? Probably.

Do I think that as a result of moving on from Hughton we would be in a higher league position in 5 years time than we will be if we keep him? Probably not.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have scored more goals than Palace, more than Wolves who everyone is tossing off over and more than everyone below us except Fulham, who we’re level with.

Attacking isn’t our issue in terms of goals scored. In fact, given those attempts stats, we seem to be finishing better chances more clinically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s the other end ...no clean sheets and conceding two goals a game bar one

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think there could come a time, 2-3 seasons down the line if the status quo hasn't progressed much and we're still just surviving in the Premier League, where there could be a realistic discussion about Hughton's tactics and whether we need to see a more exciting brand of football if all we're aiming at is survival/mid-table each year.

But for now, I'm 100% in agreement with this. Hughton has done an incredible job, we're still progressing and evolving, and a couple of early season poorer results shouldn't change that. The guy has earned the right to keep his job for the foreseeable future.

I hate to break it to your, but we will always be aiming for survival each year, along with 11-12 other clubs. Depressing, isn't it?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yet another poor performance with very debatable team selection. We set up not to concede rather than to try and find win. Get to g fed up with inept performances both home and away.

I actually agree with the 3 points you make apart from getting fed up which suggests you would prefer league 1 football and win all the time with no promotions because we like to win all the time , but to suggest that CH should be dismissed is utter bollox , of course this is just my opinion and hope not to be judged too harshly for it .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Hughton (not really a) Paradox

Do I think there's a manager who would actually come to us at the moment who might see us to a higher league position than Hughton will this year? Probably.

Do I think that as a result of moving on from Hughton we would be in a higher league position in 5 years time than we will be if we keep him? Probably not.

You are thinking of Harry aren’t you? :wink:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I hate to break it to your, but we will always be aiming for survival each year, along with 11-12 other clubs. Depressing, isn't it?

I totally agree. Or at least I think mid-table with the potential for a Burnley season is our ceiling, as it is for most clubs outside the top 6 and anyone else that inherits real money along the way i.e. potentially a Wolves.

That's why I think there eventually comes a time where, after survival and lots of losses with defensive football over a 6-7 year period, we have the right as fans to start asking for a more attractive style of football where we at least spend parts of the first half of each game trying to score a goal, rather than doing our best (unsuccessfully at the moment) to stop the opposition scoring. I appreciate that comes with potential issues and relegation, but I think we have a right to ask for decent football (and I think we are very capable of decent football, I just think we're being kept on a leash at the moment by Hughton, as we were at the start of last season when we really struggled).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here