Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I totally agree. Or at least I think mid-table with the potential for a Burnley season is our ceiling, as it is for most clubs outside the top 6 and anyone else that inherits real money along the way i.e. potentially a Wolves.

That's why I think there eventually comes a time where, after survival and lots of losses with defensive football over a 6-7 year period, we have the right as fans to start asking for a more attractive style of football where we at least spend parts of the first half of each game trying to score a goal, rather than doing our best (unsuccessfully at the moment) to stop the opposition scoring. I appreciate that comes with potential issues and relegation, but I think we have a right to ask for decent football (and I think we are very capable of decent football, I just think we're being kept on a leash at the moment by Hughton, as we were at the start of last season when we really struggled).

This.

It's a real dilemma isn't it. Watch your team pound a pile of crap out of almost every Championship team who dareth enter the Amex, or watch your team play David v Goliath most weeks in the world's glitziest, fastest and most competitive league.

No matter how you look at it, it's always going to be a compromise. We'll never have a man in a dish-dash turn up with a fifty figure bank balance, and to be honest I don't think I'd even want that. BHAFC is a PL club with class, heart and soul, from bottom to top - and I hope that never changes, no matter what league we're in.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And sticking your fingers in your ears and singing ding a ling a ling doesn't help. The negatives are that our away form is abysmal and we stayed up last year because of what we achieved at the Amex. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest our away form is going to improve so we are going to have to rely on the home form again.

We're in a league where only 6 or 7 teams will score more than 1 point per game away from home. Last season we were only 5 points behind what Arsenal got away from home. In fact only 7 points separated 13 teams. This isn't a league where teams go on the road winning lots of games. Only 7 teams won more than 4 games on the road, over half the league lost 50% or more of their away fixtures. We stayed up because we got 7 points more than 18th place.

This season, I suspect not many teams are going to get away from Anfield with only a single goal deficit, and not many will leave Watford with points. Southampton first half was disappointing, but scoring 2 goals wasn't. Overall we played better at Anfield and St Mary's than we did last year. I can see us improving on last season as the season progresses.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We lost 2-1 to a Tottenham side that was stronger than the one we drew 1-1 with last year. We set up in exactly the same way in both games. On Saturday, we would have drawn, but for the penalty.

We all know that Chris's caution can, at times, frustrate, but we also know all he has taught us since he has been here:

1) Don't get too low at the lows, don't get too high at the highs;
2) Margins are very fine. Make constant improvement in everything you do to try to ensure that they go your way;
3) Confidence is key. You won't win every game. When the losses happen, ensure they aren't bad enough to impact on confidence;
4) Treat every opposition with respect. None of them got where they are by accident.

It may not be an exciting manifesto, but it has been very effective. Barring a disaster against Man City, the team will be thinking that they have done okay through a tough set of fixtures, but will know that they have to improve to get wins in the games that follow. Business as usual for a Chris Hughton side: Modest, hard working, dedicated, focused, honest: Our team is a reflection of the man. I know the OP was on a wind up, but the only time that the phrase 'Hughton Out' should be used is as part of 'Hughton Out-classes most other people working in football.'

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Jesus H Christ. NO!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He said the same pre match about Southampton regarding how great they are [emoji849]

He says the same about every single team we play. He plays the diplomatic card publicly. I hope that he plays ' the Bill Shankly ' card in the privacy of the training ground/dressing room ( .e.g...." that Bobby Moore is useless...so slow....can't head the ball...if you give him a five yard start, you'll catch him in ten....he is captaining a team of Southern softies...they don't like it out of London....you'll pulverise this lot today....they'll be quaking in their boots.....win the first tackles and there won't be second ones "....etc etc ).....but something tells me that its not his style.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was good that Knocky got one Saturday.

Before the game it was only Murray and Duffy that had scored this season.

We NEED goals from midfield.

Just a shame that he missed that sitter at a pivotal time in the second half, when we were on top. Could have made all the difference.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
HT scores thus far.....

Man Utd......3-1

Watford......0-1
Liverpool....0-1
Fulham.......0-1
Saints.........0-1
Spurs.........0-1

......just saying.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
HT scores thus far.....

Man Utd......3-1

Watford......0-1
Liverpool....0-1
Fulham.......0-1
Saints.........0-1
Spurs.........0-1

......just saying.

So second half score read

Man Utd......0-1
Watford......0-1
Liverpool....0-0
Fulham.......2-1
Saints.........2-1
Spurs.........1-1

.......just wondering

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We need to get more defensive I'd say. :thumbsup:

Spot on.
Far, far too loose so far. No clean sheets. Forget this gung ho for 20 mins in the 2nd half. I want to see ten men behind the ball for 90 mins and some proper 0-0 draws. Every time we go forward, I am shouting...... back, back, back.....lets get some clean sheets going, then we can think about one set piece and nicking ugly 1-0 wins.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
HT scores thus far.....

Man Utd......3-1

Watford......0-1
Liverpool....0-1
Fulham.......0-1
Saints.........0-1
Spurs.........0-1

......just saying.

So second half score read

Man Utd......0-1
Watford......0-1
Liverpool....0-0
Fulham.......2-1
Saints.........2-1
Spurs.........1-1

.......just wondering

Well it's a game of two halves, innit Saint ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This.

It's a real dilemma isn't it. Watch your team pound a pile of crap out of almost every Championship team who dareth enter the Amex, or watch your team play David v Goliath most weeks in the world's glitziest, fastest and most competitive league.

No matter how you look at it, it's always going to be a compromise. We'll never have a man in a dish-dash turn up with a fifty figure bank balance, and to be honest I don't think I'd even want that. BHAFC is a PL club with class, heart and soul, from bottom to top - and I hope that never changes, no matter what league we're in.

Fantasy post follows: Don't take it too seriously, just my vision as a fan. :)

I want us to be a top 6/8 side. I'm not really wanting to be bouncing between flirting with relegation and Championship football for eternity! For that to even have a remote chance of happening, huge investment on the playing side is needed. I'd love Tony Bloom to be that investor, but he may not have the funds or desire to invest the further sums required to get us to that level. If Tony wants that for the club, and I'm sure he does then he may need to give up his golden share to new investors and recoup some of his vast outlay. But we can all be assured, Tony won't sell us out, the new owners will be properly vetted and Tony will still be a major player in the boardroom!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Spot on.
Far, far too loose so far. No clean sheets. Forget this gung ho for 20 mins in the 2nd half. I want to see ten men behind the ball for 90 mins and some proper 0-0 draws. Every time we go forward, I am shouting...... back, back, back.....lets get some clean sheets going, then we can think about one set piece and nicking ugly 1-0 wins.
The beautiful game.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fantasy post follows: Don't take it too seriously, just my vision as a fan. :)

I want us to be a top 6/8 side. I'm not really wanting to be bouncing between flirting with relegation and Championship football for eternity! For that to even have a remote chance of happening, huge investment on the playing side is needed. I'd love Tony Bloom to be that investor, but he may not have the funds or desire to invest the further sums required to get us to that level. If Tony wants that for the club, and I'm sure he does then he may need to give up his golden share to new investors and recoup some of his vast outlay. But we can all be assured, Tony won't sell us out, the new owners will be properly vetted and Tony will still be a major player in the boardroom!

Edit - I missed the “fantasy post” heading before original post :smile:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I actually agree with the 3 points you make apart from getting fed up which suggests you would prefer league 1 football and win all the time with no promotions because we like to win all the time , but to suggest that CH should be dismissed is utter bollox , of course this is just my opinion and hope not to be judged too harshly for it .

Well no, I don't want to watch league 1 football, been there and got the t-shirt. And for your information, being in the bottom league supporting the Albion iis no guarantee of winning! (I would respectfully refer you to the mid to late 90s).

To add a bit of clarity to my view, no I don't genuinely think Hughton should go but I do think he needs to tinker with his approach. Saturday was a good case in point in that spurs were on the back of 3 defeats with their 3rd choice keeper. It was crying out for the team to get in their faces and press higher up the pitch but, as Murphy pointed out on MOTD, we showed too much respect. We start the season not expecting to pick up any points against the top 6 so when we do it is a massive bonus. It is also a bit of a free hit. Have a gamble, throw a little caution to the wind.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not agree with even thinking about the sack for CH. I do believe, however that he has become his own worst enemy with his negativity and his attempts to justify it in The Argus. I think that he would do better to just say I pick and set the team up in the way I feel is best to get a result hopefully it will work but sometimes it wont and leave it at that.

I do not, unlike many, believe that he is beyond re reproach and can make mistakes, which he has done. His biggest mistake, in my eyes, was too bring back Dunk. This decision can only have been made on loyalty towards him not on the performances of Dunk or Balogun as generally Dunk has been below par this season.

I have also been disappointed with the starts of Bissouma who appears to offer great potential but unfortunately due to his lack of experience he is getting caught short on too many occasions. The problem is that we have no choice as I class Kayal in the same bracket as Baldock & Hemed good for us in times gone by but not good enough for the job in hand now.

I am hopeful that after the next international break we may see Iziquiredo again as I believe that he is the one we are missing to take the game to our opponents and push them back.

Lets get the inevitable defeat at City on Saturday out of the way then we can get back to winning ways v West Ham.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We lost 2-1 to a Tottenham side that was stronger than the one we drew 1-1 with last year. We set up in exactly the same way in both games. On Saturday, we would have drawn, but for the penalty.

We all know that Chris's caution can, at times, frustrate, but we also know all he has taught us since he has been here:

1) Don't get too low at the lows, don't get too high at the highs;
2) Margins are very fine. Make constant improvement in everything you do to try to ensure that they go your way;
3) Confidence is key. You won't win every game. When the losses happen, ensure they aren't bad enough to impact on confidence;
4) Treat every opposition with respect. None of them got where they are by accident.

It may not be an exciting manifesto, but it has been very effective. Barring a disaster against Man City, the team will be thinking that they have done okay through a tough set of fixtures, but will know that they have to improve to get wins in the games that follow. Business as usual for a Chris Hughton side: Modest, hard working, dedicated, focused, honest: Our team is a reflection of the man. I know the OP was on a wind up, but the only time that the phrase 'Hughton Out' should be used is as part of 'Hughton Out-classes most other people working in football.'

Thoughtful and well constructed and considered (not immediately after the game)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well no, I don't want to watch league 1 football, been there and got the t-shirt. And for your information, being in the bottom league supporting the Albion iis no guarantee of winning! (I would respectfully refer you to the mid to late 90s).

To add a bit of clarity to my view, no I don't genuinely think Hughton should go but I do think he needs to tinker with his approach. Saturday was a good case in point in that spurs were on the back of 3 defeats with their 3rd choice keeper. It was crying out for the team to get in their faces and press higher up the pitch but, as Murphy pointed out on MOTD, we showed too much respect. We start the season not expecting to pick up any points against the top 6 so when we do it is a massive bonus. It is also a bit of a free hit. Have a gamble, throw a little caution to the wind.

As time has passed since Saturday your posts have been more measured (just my opinion)..so maybe your original one is more of an emotional reaction to defeat....if you had a thread title that didn't say ''Hughton out'' (then maybe you might have got more people thinking...but then you probably know that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree. Also my lifetime STH Spurs-supporting colleague was terrified we were going to go at them, and in particular put high balls into the box because they've apparently shown such an obvious weakness to this.......we didn't.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here