Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] AJ v Povetkin

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Really? How so? AJ had this all day long as I predicted at the start of the thread. Povetkin is 39, way past his prime and has always struggled against very big men. Even Price nearly knocked him out ffs. If I were an AJ fan the thing that would worry me was how bad he actually looked until the KO.

Wasn't it you who also stated that it was common knowledge that Joshua was on PEDs?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Really? How so? AJ had this all day long as I predicted at the start of the thread. Povetkin is 39, way past his prime and has always struggled against very big men. Even Price nearly knocked him out ffs. If I were an AJ fan the thing that would worry me was how bad he actually looked until the KO.

Povetkin is no mug, he's ranked 3 in the world, came in there clearly wanting to take Joshua's head off from the 1st bell. Joshua could have been drawn in to a slug fest but instead kept to the game plan, kept working the jab, found his distancing and rhythm and finished a fighter with a decent record who had never been stopped with some good combinations.

Not sure what you are expecting from Joshua exactly? You name me a heavyweight boxer who hasn't lost a few rounds and struggled against a game opponent? The best fighters are those that always find a way to win.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Fight should have been stopped after that first big knock down. You saw one of Povetkins corner men try to grab him when he started getting up on autopilot.
Like boxing but hate seeing a man who just received such a major head trauma get hit again.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Not really. He's been out too long, still fat/unfit, not had any good level opponents.
50/50 on whether the fight actually happens.

Wilder is perfect fight for Fury, he has next to no boxing ability, but he can punch. Fury too good at boxing and moving like the Klitchko fight for me, I think he wins comfortably on points.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Well what a fight, Povetkin came to win, no question about that. A very live danger, who was actually up on the rounds to an unbiased judge.

But Joshua caught him with soild punches and got the job done.

Fair play to the ref giving him the 10 count, Povetkin got up like the warrior he is but his corner and the ref had every right to get the fight stopped after that.

Amazing, well done by Joshua.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Hey? Nobody had knocked him out. Nearly smearly.
Povetkin threw some ****ing tasty punches early- I doubt AJ has been hit much harder than that. He settled, stayed calm and flattened him.
He lost the first 2 or 3 rounds, true, but hardly looked particularly troubled.
He'll beat Wilder.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Like I said I fully expected him to beat Povetkin. Personally I thought Povetkin was up on the cards and a scan of boxing forums vast majority agree but as I said I expected that then AJ to blast him.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really. He's been out too long, still fat/unfit, not had any good level opponents.
50/50 on whether the fight actually happens.

Same here. I think Fury's ballooning to be vastly obese and some addictions, with too few fights since, may well be his undoing. But he will still be an incredibly awkward opponent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt the experts on Sky not have AJ just ahead on points at the time of the tko, having won the last 3 rounds, and appearing to get stronger and last the pace better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hey? Nobody had knocked him out. Nearly smearly.
Povetkin threw some ****ing tasty punches early- I doubt AJ has been hit much harder than that. He settled, stayed calm and flattened him.
He lost the first 2 or 3 rounds, true, but hardly looked particularly troubled.
He'll beat Wilder.
Not if Wilder keeps on sniping from the other side of the Atlantic, 3000+ miles away, and avoiding AJ.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not if Wilder keeps on sniping from the other side of the Atlantic, 3000+ miles away, and avoiding AJ.

AJs team are avoiding Wilder as Eddie Hearn wants a few more pay days before a high risk fight. Carl Froch admitted it in an interview last week and Rob McCracken is his old trainer so he should know.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Didnt the experts on Sky not have AJ just ahead on points at the time of the tko, having won the last 3 rounds, and appearing to get stronger and last the pace better.

The experts are paid by sky and commentating on Sky’s biggest sport asset on a Sky PPV card. They are always biased toward Hearn fighters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here