Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Airport baggage handler having a bad day?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

I think we have a fundamental difference in this country, possibly the stigma of manual/non skilled jobs, which has connections to class, self esteem, and our perceived, place and standing in the world.

Good point.

So much relevance about a person in this country is due to what they do for a living.

Probably also enhances the fact that you don't really get shit job titles anymore.

Pretty wrong all of it

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How exactly do people think luggage gets treated when it needs to be quickly loaded an unloaded from a plane?

No excuse, you're paid to do a job to the best of your ability in the given circumstances, he's failed as has his colleague.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
no decent nights out where need to dress up ?
no visits to gyms or running ?
sweat like fuc_k at airport and heat on planes already unbearable.
**could go on**

glad works for you but thats not for me

I understand but at my age with dodgy knees added to the fact that airport travel is now as enjoyable as a South London Comedy Collective DVD...travel light is a good mantra in my eyes...Gym? WFT is that? :)

TNBA

TTF

Not really. I did a Spanish three week rail and coach trip last Autumn and only had a Ryanair size case.
-5pairs of socks
-4pairs of pants
-2 pairs of shorts (wear your jeans on the trip out)
-4 tops (polo shirts)
-1 pullover (wear on trip out)
-1 pair of spare shoes/trainers
-Toilet bag
-Hand towel
-Macbook Air and charger
-Phone charger and leads
-Waterproof jacket or lightweight jacket (wear on trip out)
-Paperwork
-Book to read

find a local launderette if the place you are staying in cannot do washing.

Very easy really just gets complicated if you adopt the Imelda Marcos approach.

No need for hold luggage unless travelling for business or with kids!

TNBA

TTF

Four pairs of pants for 21 days ? You either must be an expert on Spanish launderettes or had your own segregated area on the coach and train.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Good point.

So much relevance about a person in this country is due to what they do for a living.

Probably also enhances the fact that you don't really get shit job titles anymore.

Pretty wrong all of it

The most boring inane question in the world is "so what job do you do?"

Usually asked when two people are put in a situation that neither is comfortable with, and they then blurt that irrelevant question.

I am sure it is just used to find out what position they or you are in life and if they are of a perceived higher standing than you.

Genuinely not interested in peoples professions, yes they can be interesting and possibly amazing jobs, but is that how I judge a person, nah.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Four pairs of pants for 21 days ? You either must be an expert on Spanish launderettes or had your own segregated area on the coach and train.

Yes but he did have one extra pair of socks, so made an effort.....anyway good on him for traveling that way...saves having to lug stuff around

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How exactly do people think luggage gets treated when it needs to be quickly loaded an unloaded from a plane?

With a bit more care than that?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The most boring inane question in the world is "so what job do you do?"

Usually asked when two people are put in a situation that neither is comfortable with, and they then blurt that irrelevant question.

I am sure it is just used to find out what position they or you are in life and if they are of a perceived higher standing than you.

Genuinely not interested in peoples professions, yes they can be interesting and possibly amazing jobs, but is that how I judge a person, nah.

look at every quiz show on tv , first question ..... always what you do for a living.

Boring

Be nice to mix it up and ask " so tell us a story" or " whats your best character traits"

As you say , It's all about putting people into boxes

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Completely different psychology over there, people seem to take pride in their jobs, from the man waving you round some paving stones being replaced (in gloves, little flag and bollards all the way round) making sure everyone is safe (this did seem a little over the top) to the chief executive of a company.

I think we have a fundamental difference in this country, possibly the stigma of manual/non skilled jobs, which has connections to class, self esteem, and our perceived, place and standing in the world.

Either that or the guy is just having a bad day, we don't know he could have just been handed a redundancy letter, or going through a traumatic time in his life involving loved ones. We are far to quick to jump at conclusions from a 30 second clip.

I believe he was angry at the other baggage handler and was purposefully trying to make it more difficult for a baggage partner who might have been verbally abusing him.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Here's the thing my sensitive little travellers, the treatment of those cases was not the worst thing you'll see airside. Long ago in the mists of time when i was a student i worked a summer baggage handling. Now those two idiots could have handled that better, but far worse things are routinely happening to your luggage. If you fly a wide bodied jet your bags will almost certainly get put in those luggage bins you see being ferried around. However if you're on a smaller short haul plane your bags are unloaded and loaded by hand. What you don't see is the baggage handlers throwing your bags down the hold and manhandling them into stacks, And don't forget some of your fellow passengers like to fly with giant suitcases filled with rocks.. There's no way to delicately arrange them in a hold 4 feet tall.
Oh and it's the middle of summer and flights are leaving and landing every 2 minutes and your bosses want you to get the hell off the alicante flight and troop over to the Belfast flight that been on stand for 30 minutes already. So you rush the job and things aren't stacked as well as they could be, so stuff falls over and off trolleys and lorrys and those conveyors , well it falls off pretty much anything
And you're standing at the luggage belt and all of a sudden loads of bags come onto the belt in a rush. Great you think they're really efficient. Wrong. That means someone in a hurry has drawn up next to the belt in a lorry . and just pushed all the bags off onto the conveyor from a great height . Those last bags are the one which tipped over the side and had to be retrieved from the floor.
So in summary, your fellow passengers are travelling with bags of bricks which have to be crammed into narrow tubes in a great hurry then taken out and rushed to impatient passengers whose demand for low fairs leads to understaffing at peak times. A bag falling off the back of a trolley is the least if your worries

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Plus two pairs of shorts and one jeans... If I'm on holiday I don't really want to be going to the laundrette every couple of days :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here