Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Three new craft beer bars opening soon in Brighton

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not sure they know what the p stands for either, with black IPAs or Red IPAs.

Good point. I had a red IPA last night, tasted like a chocolate porter. Pretty much exactly what I don’t want from an IPA!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was going to post this in the Branch Tavern thread, but perhaps it deserves its own. With most pub-related threads on NSC being about places closing down, here's some better news about three places (all craft beer focused) that are opening soon...

THE NEW UNITY - opens today
The former Branch Tavern on London Road has been concentrating on the sports bar angle in its press releases, but their recent job ads on Facebook also emphasised their craft beer range (something I assume the rough 'n' ready Branch didn't really do).

THE HAUS ON THE HILL - opens in two or three weeks
Whitehawk based craft brewers Brighton Bier have taken over The Southover on Southover Street and will reopen it as a sister pub to the Bierhaus on Edward Street. Manager and chef come from Brighton Beer Dispensary.

HOLLER TAPROOM - opens in a week or two
Uckfield vegan craft brewers Holler will open their first pub on Elder Place (round the back of London Road). Manager comes from Brighton Brewdog.

Good news for the sophisticated boozehounds of Brighton, yeah...?

I’m not entirely sure about the first one; I imagine they will also carry mass produced “industrial” beers and their craft range will not be very exciting. I don’t like TVs in pubs either. I don’t think I’m their target audience. The other two sound like places I’d like to visit though .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’m not entirely sure about the first one; I imagine they will also carry mass produced “industrial” beers and their craft range will not be very exciting. I don’t like TVs in pubs either. I don’t think I’m their target audience. The other two sound like places I’d like to visit though .

The " Haus on the Hill " was a pretty good beer pub when it was The Southover so I doubt there will be a huge improvement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The " Haus on the Hill " was a pretty good beer pub when it was The Southover so I doubt there will be a huge improvement.

Good point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And an aside it’s craft and oysters for me tonight. Yum yum.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I do wonder if the reason that the reason the vast majority of craft beers are IPAs is because its easy to do, all you really taste is the hops, make a basic ale and chuck a load of hops in at various stages and you cant go wrong, if the craze is for IPAs. There isn't really the chance to get much subtlety when you are faced with overwhelming bitter hopppiness.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Interesting comments about IPAs.

For me the American love affair with hoppy IPAs has gone too far, with double and even triple hopped IPAs springing up all over the place. Sometimes less is more

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I often laugh about the " Deep Fried Catch of the Day " … no one ever seems to catch a nice Bass or a juicy Hake ? And, whatever it is they allegedly cover in their artisanal Beer Batter, It certainly WAS NOT caught on the day you order it at the bar !

Maybe deep freeze catch of the day

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Plus a new MicroPub coming soon in Boundary Road (along the lines of the Watchmakers Arms by Hove station). Life is good for the beer drinkers of Brighton & Hove!

Planning Permission was granted for the change of use a couple of weeks ago. It is in the old English School building opposite the post office on the cross roads of Boundary Rd and New Church Rd. [MENTION=12474]The Gem[/MENTION] will be well served by it as he is only 2 doors down. :drink:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bold Seagull beat me to it. Less than a 4 min walk from my front door. I’m pretty pleased about it, my wife less so [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fantastic news.

Just need someone to take on the Stanley now

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do wonder if the reason that the reason the vast majority of craft beers are IPAs is because its easy to do, all you really taste is the hops, make a basic ale and chuck a load of hops in at various stages and you cant go wrong, if the craze is for IPAs. There isn't really the chance to get much subtlety when you are faced with overwhelming bitter hopppiness.

You can go wrong, trust me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Elder Place is a bizarre location for a pub surely

You reckon?

jg_10a_170.jpg

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes it IS good, I'm pleased for all the people who like that sort of thing.

But Brighton is also in desperate need of more 'spoons (or equivalent) for those of us who don't like paying anything north of £3.80 for a pint.

Ban Spoons from Brighton; leave those sh1te holes to the rest of the country...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here