Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] China's scary "social credit" system. Be afraid.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know you are a fanatic and all for public denouncements of people you disagree with.

When you say "people are stupid", isn't what you really mean, "sometimes people don't agree with me"?

Also, it sounds like you don't think anything should be put in the hands of the people. People voted for Hitler yes, but it almost sounds like you are making a case for doing away with democracy?

Like I said, you're a fanatic.

Wrong on every single count. A fanatic? Pffft, you need looking at, Son.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Wrong on every single count. A fanatic? Pffft, you need looking at, Son.

You make a compelling argument.

It's like when you say people voting for Brexit are "Stupid". Actually people who voted on both sides have valid points. One side values self determination and sovereignty above continental standardization and union. The other side, vice versa. Neither side are unintelligent, they have different values and disagree. Both are sincere and both have merits to their arguments.

In fact often people go further than just saying the other side are stupid. Bigoted. Prejudiced. Racist etc. I'm pretty sure I've heard you go down that road too. It assumes an absolute correctness about your own position, without any possible legitimate argument against it. It assumes absolute incorrectness about the alternative position, without any possible legitimate argument for it.

And, for good measure, it adds in assumptions about people who take a different position from yours, for the most part people you have never met, assumptions about their motivations, about what they think and feel, things which you could not possibly know, and things which only serve to give you permission to dismiss, ignore or denounce them, without ever having to bother making a case for your own position. But then, why bother? It's absolutely correct anyway.

This - is the fanatic.

To be fair, you are not alone. Brexit seems to have brought out the fanatic in a lot of people.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I know you are a fanatic and all for public denouncements of people you disagree with.

When you say "people are stupid", isn't what you really mean, "sometimes people don't agree with me"?

Also, it sounds like you don't think anything should be put in the hands of the people. People voted for Hitler yes, but it almost sounds like you are making a case for doing away with democracy?

Like I said, you're a fanatic.

And a rather grumpy one at that ....hangovers are such torture ,best thing for it is a robust manual work out and a good stiff drink...in any order you choose...:wave:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
China's ****ed up, like Russia. The citizens are brainwashed mental cases.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You make a compelling argument.

It's like when you say people voting for Brexit are "Stupid". Actually people who voted on both sides have valid points. One side values self determination and sovereignty above continental standardization and union. The other side, vice versa. Neither side are unintelligent, they have different values and disagree. Both are sincere and both have merits to their arguments.

In fact often people go further than just saying the other side are stupid. Bigoted. Prejudiced. Racist etc. I'm pretty sure I've heard you go down that road too. It assumes an absolute correctness about your own position, without any possible legitimate argument against it. It assumes absolute incorrectness about the alternative position, without any possible legitimate argument for it.

And, for good measure, it adds in assumptions about people who take a different position from yours, for the most part people you have never met, assumptions about their motivations, about what they think and feel, things which you could not possibly know, and things which only serve to give you permission to dismiss, ignore or denounce them, without ever having to bother making a case for your own position. But then, why bother? It's absolutely correct anyway.

This - is the fanatic.

To be fair, you are not alone. Brexit seems to have brought out the fanatic in a lot of people.

Nope. All incorrect.I don't believe Brexit voters are all racist or bigoted. I believe they are stupid. I believe most voters on both sides are stupid or at the very least ill equipped to make a decision as big as Brexit.

If you are going to attempt a character assassination at least do your research and actually know the character you are trying to discredit. Your assumptions have made you look a fool. If you're gonna take on The Clamp you are gonna have to raise your game, Sunshine.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Nope. All incorrect.I don't believe Brexit voters are all racist or bigoted. I believe they are stupid. I believe most voters on both sides are stupid or at the very least ill equipped to make a decision as big as Brexit.

If you are going to attempt a character assassination at least do your research and actually know the character you are trying to discredit. Your assumptions have made you look a fool. If you're gonna take on The Clamp you are gonna have to raise your game, Sunshine.

What about you then?

Are you also stupid? Or are you the one person who is equipped to make the decision?

I like how you refer to yourself in the third person too, that's usually a bad sign.

& we've done this kind of thing many times before, I know what you are about. I'm only ever trying to encourage you to change. But I do know how hard that can be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What about you then?

Are you also stupid? Or are you the one person who is equipped to make the decision?

I like how you refer to yourself in the third person too, that's usually a bad sign.

& we've done this kind of thing many times before, I know what you are about. I'm only ever trying to encourage you to change. But I do know how hard that can be.

You’ve made yourself look daft there, sausage.
Silly boy.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
People can be blacklisted for transgressions such as smoking on trains, using expired tickets or failing to pay fines, as well as spreading false information or causing trouble on flights, according to statements released by China’s National Development and Reform Commission in March.

Add littering and looking at social media while driving and I'm all for it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is the way the world is going. Obvs China is a dictatorship anyway and was always going to be up for anything that oppresses it's population but wow! This is scary stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-could-interfere-in-other-nations-sovereignty

Not surprised in the slightest, all the tools FB and Google use amongst others are constantly analysing our shopping and viewing habits gathering more and more info, it will be used at some point and not for the good of us for sure. I am aware that these " Alexa " things are constantly listening in to household conversations and parcelling back information already. Glad I don't have one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not a fan of the religious fervour of WK Kellogg but I'd have a bowl of cornflakes (If there were no other options and I was really hungry).

Daft comparison.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
What about you then?

Most of what you've posted I can agree with on the OP. I recall him getting proper mad about sexism and then used the phrase "a real man". When I called him out on it he had a melty. This is honestly something I thought you'd be well up for OP.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most of what you've posted I can agree with on the OP. I recall him getting proper mad about sexism and then used the phrase "a real man". When I called him out on it he had a melty. This is honestly something I thought you'd be well up for OP.

I think you have me confused with another poster.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fine. I'm no fan of the Nazis but if I needed a lift to the airport, and my mate offered a ride in his Beetle, I wouldn't say no.

I don’t like the way Charlie Brooker writes and I find his ideas lazy, cliched, childish and obvious.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don’t like the way Charlie Brooker writes and I find his ideas lazy, cliched, childish and obvious.

Fair enough. What are you basing this on though if you haven't seen any of Black Mirror? It's not really comparable to his other TV work (Brass Eye, Nathan Barley, Screen Wipe)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough. What are you basing this on though if you haven't seen any of Black Mirror? It's not really comparable to his other TV work (Brass Eye, Nathan Barley, Screen Wipe)

I exaggerated, I saw one or two of the first series , I’ve read a book of his and used to watch screenwipe. But you have just reminded me I do like Brass Eye and Barley.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I exaggerated, I saw one or two of the first series , I’ve read a book of his and used to watch screenwipe. But you have just reminded me I do like Brass Eye and Barley.

Black Mirror definitely worth a watch IHMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here