Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Facebook’s unrelenting quest to take over the (digital) world continues

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I recently noticed that some people were requesting charity funds via Facebook - looked like FB’s take on Justgiving et al.

They recently launched a jobs service and already have a marketplace that takes on local classified listings sites.

Next up: Facebook Dating launching today in Colombia, but will be rolled out more widely soon for sure: https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/20/how-facebook-dating-works/

What next?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I recently noticed that some people were requesting charity funds via Facebook - looked like FB’s take on Justgiving et al.

They recently launched a jobs service and already have a marketplace that takes on local classified listings sites.

Next up: Facebook Dating launching today in Colombia, but will be rolled out more widely soon for sure: https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/20/how-facebook-dating-works/

What next?

I think they've missed a trick there, it could've been called 'speed dating' :shrug:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Facebook may be very useful for some things (electronic stalking of "friends"), but it is a terrible site overall - way too many useless adverts, redirections for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, news I don't care about, local groups full of angry nutcases, and people I "might know" who I have never heard of.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Facebook may be very useful for some things (electronic stalking of "friends"), but it is a terrible site overall - way too many useless adverts, redirections for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, news I don't care about, local groups full of angry nutcases, and people I "might know" who I have never heard of.

It is. I used to enjoy it as I mainly stuck to keeping in touch with people. But the more bloated it's got, the more ridiculous stuff it shows me thinking I'm interested, I barely look at it. Certainly in my circles other people feel the same way as less and less people who I might want to hear from post now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At a personal level I dislike Facebook and use it as little as possible. A revelation this year was discovering I could hide my date of birth which meant I didn't receive numerous posts from people who don't really care it's my birthday wishing me Happy Birthday.

Unfortunately FB is very successful at threading itself through as many things as possible which can make it very difficult to not have a FB account at all. I couldn't do some of my work without having an active personal FB account for example, so I have to retain one.

Adding jobs, classified listings and dating etc will make it more difficult for people to exist without having a FB account, which Is their aim of course.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's the sign of a company in decline, throwing any idea out there hoping something will take. It's a strategy as old as time. FB peaked years ago. I used to enjoy it when all I saw on it was stuff from people I knew and was interested in. Now if I look up, for example I was looking for a shaving brush the other day, on google then I can guarantee you next time I bother to look at FB it'll be plastered in Harry's ****ing razor pack offers.

Book a cinema ticket, bang! Vue cinema now haunts my FB page. FB is for pricks.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

What next?

I think they've missed a trick there, it could've been called 'speed dating' :shrug:

Surely 'Sit on my Facebook' :blush:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's the sign of a company in decline, throwing any idea out there hoping something will take. It's a strategy as old as time. FB peaked years ago. I used to enjoy it when all I saw on it was stuff from people I knew and was interested in. Now if I look up, for example I was looking for a shaving brush the other day, on google then I can guarantee you next time I bother to look at FB it'll be plastered in Harry's ****ing razor pack offers.

My daughter has just moved from Apple to Facebook and the suggestion that they are in decline is miles wide of the mark.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately FB is very successful at threading itself through as many things as possible which can make it very difficult to not have a FB account at all. will make it more difficult for people to exist without having a FB account,.

I don't have and have never had a Facebook account, but I still exist and have no difficulty not having an account.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i use Facebook for taking the piss out of people , storing music and slagging off political parties......and pushing the boundaries of community standards until i get banned .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't have and have never had a Facebook account, but I still exist and have no difficulty not having an account.

I knew someone would post pretty much that, and you're right of course.

But FB are trying to make it more and more difficult for that to be the case. What if a job you were interested in could only be applied to via FB? What if FB becomes the de facto local classifieds site and you had something you wanted to sell or were told of someone selling something you wanted? FB intend to keep these "what ifs" mounting up knowing that each one will increase the likelihood of people relenting and joining.

Of course some will still resist but many won't, even if they only retain an account that's not connected to any friends, "friends" and family.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's the sign of a company in decline, throwing any idea out there hoping something will take. It's a strategy as old as time. FB peaked years ago.

The share price says you're wrong, despite the recent fall on the back of Cambridge Analytica etc.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 14.45.38.png

Zuckerburg and his team are clever. They bought up WhatsApp, and then Instagram. When they failed to get hold of Snapchat they invoked a programme of replicating the best of Snapchat, largely in Instagram, enhancing features it copoes as well as adding new ones. It's been an unrelenting churn of innovation that's putting real pressure on Snapchat - https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2018/08/27/bursting-snaps-micro-bubble/#7c1d4e5e1886

Simply, as soon as they see something that could threaten FB they buy it up or copy it. Repeat and rinse.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The share price says you're wrong, despite the recent fall on the back of Cambridge Analytica etc.

View attachment 100691

Zuckerburg and his team are clever. They bought up WhatsApp, and then Instagram. When they failed to get hold of Snapchat they invoked a programme of replicating the best of Snapchat, largely in Instagram, enhancing features it copoes as well as adding new ones. It's been an unrelenting churn of innovation that's putting real pressure on Snapchat - https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2018/08/27/bursting-snaps-micro-bubble/#7c1d4e5e1886

Simply, as soon as they see something that could threaten FB they buy it up or copy it. Repeat and rinse.

Yes, my statement was incorrect . Every day is a school day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
FB seems to be dominated by the middle aged and low to moderately IT literate now (I'd know, I'm still on it :D), and used mostly by people to basically spy on what their family and 'friends' have been up to or to post 'look at me I'm on holiday' messages, or otherwise post 'woe is me' personal messages that make no sense but are seeking attention. The yoof have more or less deserted it completely (precisely due to their parents using it a lot I'd imagine) and all use snapchat or instagram.

Not so convinced at all that FB will continue to grow - I see and hear of far more people I know leaving it or using it much less than seeing new people join. I've left a lot of groups and turned off a lot of feeds and not missing them at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I found a new pet hate on FB the other day.

People who post a long, convoluted cut-and-paste that starts something like "Lets see how many of my friends are REAL friends and will answer my post, and not just 'like' it". It'll then go on about raising awareness about depression / cancer / bullying / soup / anxiety / Emmerdale / Lego (delete as applicable), finishing with "share if you agree this is important" or somesuch bollocks. That, or it'll have a picture of a blind paraplegic 3 year old with leukemia being savaged by a dog, with a caption "I bet I don't even get 1 like".

There's so much I despise on Facebook. But I do get to share pictures of my lunch, and describe my mood about 62 times a day. So there's that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here