Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton players who have played other sports

Oct 25, 2003
I’m talking here about players who have played for the Albion and have also played another sport at a high level. Initially I started digging around while having a look at Tommy Cooks career and obviously he also excelled in cricket. Joe Gatting is another one of course. Any others? The more obscure the better

(Not really talking about guys who played a bit of cricket at school etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I believe Craig Mackail Smith was a good cricketer and didn't one of our Irish players play Gaelic football at quite a high level ?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I believe Craig Mackail Smith was a good cricketer and didn't one of our Irish players play Gaelic football at quite a high level ?
Gerry Ryan played Gaelic football I believe. Anyone here remember his debut at the Goldstone. I doubt the right back ever recovered. He was subbed off at half time with the score at 3-0.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Locadia used to play football...

...wait what, who said that?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’m talking here about players who have played for the Albion and have also played another sport at a high level. Initially I started digging around while having a look at Tommy Cooks career and obviously he also excelled in cricket. Joe Gatting is another one of course. Any others? The more obscure the better

(Not really talking about guys who played a bit of cricket at school etc)

Quite a few Albion cricketers. You mention Cook and Gatting but also Don Bates, Denis Foreman, Ken Suttle and Graham Cross spring immediately to mind.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Maty Ryan was a good tennis player as a kid and could have focused on that rather than football apparently.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 08.49.17.png

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
According to a Spurs fan, our entire women's team are brilliant at stoolball. But aren't allowed to play football so I suppose that rules them out from this thread.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Peter Sayer was an international class sprinter before he decided on football as a career I seem to recall

Just checked his Wikipedia page and it makes not mention of his sprinting but it does say he lost his place at Brighton to Mark Lawrenson. I can’t say I ever recall Lawrenson being a winger though....

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Dennis Foreman played football for Brighton and cricket for Sussex. Don Bates played mainly for Brighton reserves and cricket for Sussex.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Alex Dawson......good amateur boxer before football took over.
Brian Horton....County standard at table tennis.
Hans Kraay......good hockey player.
Dean Saunders....decent cricketer ( turned out for H Heath )

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
CB Fry surely played for us? It would have been in-between him playing cricket,hockey and rugby for England and being offered the throne of the Kingdom of Albania. All that before breakfast too!
Some chap him!

TNBA

TTF

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Peter Sayer was an international class sprinter before he decided on football as a career I seem to recall

Just checked his Wikipedia page and it makes not mention of his sprinting but it does say he lost his place at Brighton to Mark Lawrenson. I can’t say I ever recall Lawrenson being a winger though....
Gavin Hoyte, too, came from a family of sprinters - mother being Wendy Hoyte.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here