Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 the answer away from home?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Having witnessed so many poor performances it must be time for a more radical rethink of our tactics and I’d like to see us play with three centre halves and wing backs.

We have the players to do it. Balogun would easily slot in with Dunk and Duffy and Bruno/Montoya and I think March would make a great wing back.

You could then put Bissouma in a more advanced role with Stephens and Proper.

Got to be worth a go?

I know we tried it at home v Chelsea and got caught out but one go at one of the best teams in the country is not really a fair test.

What’s not to like?

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
Could work in theory, I'd have thought. Bernardo would be an ideal third centre back, very mobile.

But will it happen under Chris? No chance I'd say.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Apart from the top 6, teams in the Premier League average 4 wins away in a season. Chris Hughton will not change the way we play.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It's the not the formation, it's the tactics/mentality the team go out with, as was proved in the second half on Monday.
All this passing slowly between the back four and Stephens has got to be restricted to when we play the top 6 away. Otherwise we need aggression and tempo as the default.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it ain't broke...

...oh.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The OP has conveniently forgotten that in our squad we have three senior CBs, five full backs, and four wingers. This ought to suggest that CH has no intention of playing three at the back this season, yet it keeps on being brought up as a possibility.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
More tempo is the key. We could have 5 upfront and we'd never score if we cannot get the ball to them or stop the opposition from scoring. A flat back 4 keeps the defence safe and the 4 wingers should all be involved.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
8-2-0...… you know it makes sense.

Jul 7, 2003
When Izquierdo comes back and Ali J is up to speed then I think we will be more of a threat on the break away from home. Izzy made the difference in a lot of away games last season as he is quite direct. His pace and shooting scares teams in to backing off - sadly, Solly doesn't hold the same threat.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The OP has conveniently forgotten that in our squad we have three senior CBs, five full backs, and four wingers. This ought to suggest that CH has no intention of playing three at the back this season, yet it keeps on being brought up as a possibility.

I think CH had his mind made up for him after BG spent the entire Summer insisting he will play 3 at the back, this season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Having witnessed so many poor performances it must be time for a more radical rethink of our tactics and I’d like to see us play with three centre halves and wing backs.

We have the players to do it. Balogun would easily slot in with Dunk and Duffy and Bruno/Montoya and I think March would make a great wing back.

You could then put Bissouma in a more advanced role with Stephens and Proper.

Got to be worth a go?

I know we tried it at home v Chelsea and got caught out but one go at one of the best teams in the country is not really a fair test.

What’s not to like?

I do love the whole notion of 'why not give it a go?' as a tactical plan...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here