Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bert & Ernie

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why are you watching a programme about gay puppets if you are so offended by the idea of gay puppets.

I don't like seeing surgical procedures and therefore don't watch programmes about surgical procedures.

You are funny, nearly.

I could not not give less than 0.000001% of a fxxk whether Bert &Ernie are gay (just to clarify, they are not, they are puppets). What I am laughing at is a so called respected global media organisation giving it airtime.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What about Eric and Ernie always in bed with one another

Next on the Muppets, The Swedish Chef undergoes a sex change

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So I am watching a BBC news programme put out across the world which is discussing the sexuality of Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street! And people wonder why the folks with more than 40 years under their belt really struggle with the concerns of the 'millenials' (sp), lefties, and the liberal elite, and especially the media luvvies of whom most fill the afore mentioned groups.

Couldn't make it up........well maybe you can, human rights of spiders anyone?

Wish I'd seen it. B&E (and Morecombe & Wise sharing a bed) raises questions over whether there was a sub-text by the writers/producers. I am not a millenial or a leftie and definitely not a media luvvie. I may be considered Liberal Elite but I have a genuine intellectual interest in whether or not someone was trying to send a message or make a statement, especially given that Sesame Street had a strong subtext over gender and race equality and is broadcast across the world.

"Dear Points of View, Can we please have more programmes like the interesting debate, broadcast today, on the subtext of sexuality and inclusion in Sesame Street? Mostly because it p1sses off Daily Mail reading dinosaurs who continue to want to live in 1950s."

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I am offended that people are offended and if youre not offended that is frankly offensive, surely evryone knows they are gender nuetral pansexuals and its none of anyone elses business unkess youre offended or offended by those who are not offended. Theres no such thing as men or women or sexuality, im off to join a queue for something i want to buy so i can write a letter about how offended i am i am made to wait for a purchase and today is my first day of being a flexitarian so dont oppress me and understand I AM DIFFERENT dont judge me!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What do you think of the thread so far?? Rubbish!!
"Well, maybe it's not all that bad"

"I quite enjoyed some posts"

"It's better than most of the rubbish on here"

"What a great thread"

"Best I've ever seen!"

"Bravo!!!!"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately for you, I am a definite remainer, so there goes that assumption.

It’s almost like my post was a light-hearted satire/parody, not even especially aimed at you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nah, you thought he was a brexiteer didn’t you [emoji102]

Yeah I thought he probably was, but my post was meant to be light-hearted, not malicious or particularly personal in tone.

I took what most would see as the opposite of "liberal elites".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah I thought he probably was, but my post was meant to be light-hearted, not malicious or particularly personal in tone.

I took what most would see as the opposite of "liberal elites".

Someone must explain the concept of 'liberal elites' to me one day.

Once upon a time, 'liberal elites' meant the highest of social strata (however that was defined) presenting policies, ideas and theories on freedom of speech, promotion for the betterment of personal, social and mental issues, and so on.

Nowadays, it seems to have been morphed and mangled into a meaningless catch-all phrase for anyone who disagrees with the racists, homophobes, xenophobes and other alt-right pondlife - the opposite of what 'elite' is supposed to mean.

So which is it? Soooo confused.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It's the funniest phrase. I don't think I've ever heard it out loud in real life, but it always gets a chuckle when seen online.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On a similar thread, as a child, and even now as an adult, I was never wholly comfortable with the fact that Bungle from Rainbow would stroll around naked all day, but then when he went to bed with George and Zippy, he'd be wearing his pajamas.

What kind of twisted firestarter gets up in the morning, strips naked in front of his sibs, and then stays like it all day till bedtime ? Geoffrey never once said a WORD about it, whilst Rod, Jane and even Freddie seemed largely indifferent.

No wonder it got cancelled.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On a similar thread, as a child, and even now as an adult, I was never wholly comfortable with the fact that Bungle from Rainbow would stroll around naked all day, but then when he went to bed with George and Zippy, he'd be wearing his pajamas.

What kind of twisted firestarter gets up in the morning, strips naked in front of his sibs, and then stays like it all day till bedtime ? Geoffrey never once said a WORD about it, whilst Rod, Jane and even Freddie seemed largely indifferent.

No wonder it got cancelled.
Rainbow was pure filth.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Sesame Street has been brought to you today by the letter B and J and the numbers 6 and 9!"

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Once upon a time, 'liberal elites' meant the highest of social strata (however that was defined) presenting policies, ideas and theories on freedom of speech, promotion for the betterment of personal, social and mental issues, and so on.

Nowadays, it seems to have been morphed and mangled into a meaningless catch-all phrase for anyone who disagrees with the racists, homophobes, xenophobes and other alt-right pondlife - the opposite of what 'elite' is supposed to mean.

So which is it? Soooo confused.

You’re definitely not part of the “Liberal Elite! See wiki’s explanation below

Liberal elite is a pejorative term used to describe people who are politically left of centre, whose education had traditionally opened the doors to affluence and power and form a managerial elite.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't see what the big deal is. It's interesting to look at media and entertainment through a sociological lens. Viewing them this way doesn't change their worth as an entertainment product to children, y'know, the intended audience. A kid doesn't give a shit if Bert gives Ernie the odd reach around, a kid just likes learning about letters from giant fluffy puppets.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You are funny, nearly.

I could not not give less than 0.000001% of a fxxk whether Bert &Ernie are gay (just to clarify, they are not, they are puppets). What I am laughing at is a so called respected global media organisation giving it airtime.

This has been picked up by every single network & news organisation around.

It's good I suppose that you have such higher expectations of Auntie, that you would expect them and them alone to snub this kind of tosh. Also good that you continue to tune in to the beeb regardless of their obvious agenda.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see what the big deal is. It's interesting to look at media and entertainment through a sociological lens. Viewing them this way doesn't change their worth as an entertainment product to children, y'know, the intended audience. A kid doesn't give a shit if Bert gives Ernie the odd reach around, a kid just likes learning about letters from giant fluffy puppets.

Rubbish. When I was a kid, if it had ever come out that Bert and Ernie were playing hide the sausage then it would've spread round our playground like wildfire. Sod learning about letters, the back pages of our textbooks would have been FESTOONED with various crudely scrawled images of gaping stuffed orifices and violently intrusive puppet cocks.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Rubbish. When I was a kid, if it had ever come out that Bert and Ernie were playing hide the sausage then it would've spread round our playground like wildfire. Sod learning about letters, the back pages of our textbooks would have been FESTOONED with various crudely scrawled images of gaping stuffed orifices and violently intrusive puppet cocks.

Yeah of course but at what age?

Sesame Street is aimed at 3-5 years old's isn't it? I'm not sure I even knew the word 'gay' when I was that young.

EDIT: found this on Wikipedia, AKA The Font Of All Truths

For Sesame Street's 30th anniversary in 1999, its producers researched the reasons for the show's lower ratings. For the first time since the show debuted, the producers and a team of researchers analyzed Sesame Street's content and structure during a series of two-week-long workshops. They also studied how children's viewing habits had changed and become more sophisticated in thirty years. They found that although the show was produced for 3-to-5-year-olds, children began watching it at a younger age. As a result, the target age for Sesame Street shifted downward, from 4 years to 3 years

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here