Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What exactly does a Technical Director do? We have a manager, coaches, a recruitment team - is a Technical Director the same as a Director of Football? Or are we just going to pay someone thousands of pounds a week to say "attack more away from home"?

It is essentially a slightly lesser version of the Director of Football role. It is clear that, though CH is wonderful, we don't have anyone who oversees the footballing operations which is getting bigger all the time. A technical director would, ideally, oversee all footballing staff under a strong vision - recruitment and playing across the board is run with joined up thinking. I think that we are slowly and surely growing into a big club, and the longer we stay in the PL we will change and adapt to where we very much fit in (and can go to a higher level).

SAC

May 21, 2014
What exactly does a Technical Director do? We have a manager, coaches, a recruitment team - is a Technical Director the same as a Director of Football? Or are we just going to pay someone thousands of pounds a week to say "attack more away from home"?

It's someone to blame if things go wrong. Takes the pressure of the people who are really to blame.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I happened to have known Ashworth a few million years ago and it is quite amazing how he has been propelled into such a high position within the game, more power to him and he was a decent non league footballer, small and quick and from what I recall he found himself within the pro game through his brothers soccer school's PASS soccer that had some association with Norwich or Peterborough or somewhere similar, I have to say he didn't strike me as someone that would become so prominent at such a high level, more likely a PE teacher which I think he was actually training to be.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Wasn't he at West Brom before going to the FA? He did a good job there, saw this post on their Forum which highlights what a good Director of Football brings:

Appointing a Director of Football (supported by a strong, broad scouting network) is absolutely vital to the medium and long-term prospects of the club.

This is the structure that allowed us to make affordable, intelligent signings from around the world by making use of a broad scouting network, such as Mulumbu, Yacob, Odemwingie, Olsson, Koren and others. Compare this with the kind of short-term it signings we've made in recent years - Barry, Lambert, Livermore, Mears, Hal Robson-Kanu, etc.

The difference is we used to recruit younger, well-scouted players with relatively affordable fees and wages with the potential for improvement high re-sale value. This is a sustainable model that allows the club to over-achieve. In recent years, we have regressed to signing overrated, overpaid, domestically-based players who are past their best. This has ultimately resulted in our relegation, and a situation where next year we will require a mass overhall of the squad, probably with limited money from outgoings due to our ageing squad and reliance on loans.

The other benefit of a director of football (and a large scouting network) is you get a continuity in the club's approach regardless of a change in the head coach. This is something that served us well in the Mowbray, Di Matteo, Roy Hodgson and Steve Clarke years - we had an overall direction as a club: the head coach would identify areas in the team in need of improvement, and the recruitment team would come back with a number of well-scouted potential signings who could play in that position. The final decision would then be made by the Head Coach. This allowed us to build year on year.

Realtedly, the Director of Football played a role in giving us a footballing identity, meaning we recruited head coaches consistent with the type of players we were trying to sign and the type of football we wanted to play. Compare this to what has happened since Ashworth's departure (appointing Pardew to play attacking football with a squad incapable of doing it, and signing good footballers like James Chester who Pulis had no intention of playing in his correct position). Crucially, this highlights the importance of hiring the right Director of Football - not just anyone (as Burton was a disaster in the role due to a lack of contemporary footballing knowledge).

Taken from here: http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=22312.0

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This is about the third time I've heard this rumour mentioned on NSC, I'm sure the first time was at least a year ago. Bizarre.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ashworth was questioned in front of a Parliamentary Committee over the Sampson/Aluko issue, and received some criticism for his handling of it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-director-accused-of-conflict-of-interests-jc965zd56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41712598

Ashworth appeared at Wednesday's parliamentary inquiry alongside chief executive Glenn and chairman Greg Clarke, as well as human resources director Rachel Brace.

Following Sampson's sacking, the FA said that Ashworth - along with director Kelly Simmons - were not aware of any allegations before hiring him, but BBC Sport understands England players were aware of rumours.

Clarke told parliament that "a process of due diligence" should have happened around Sampson's recruitment, while Ashworth admitted he should have "asked for more detail" about the safeguarding report into the 34-year-old Welshman.

Ashworth also asked Aluko to be part of a cultural review of all England teams in early 2016, which is when she made her complaint of "bullying, harassment and discrimination."

He then began an internal review into those claims, at which he reportedly offered to give evidence on behalf of Sampson.

FA's head of women's football Baroness Sue Campbell told BBC Sport on Friday that Ashworth will be part of the recruitment process for the new England women's manager.

That said, I will imagine the Albion would undertake every ounce of due diligence - assuming this story (about him possibly coming to Brighton) has any truth to it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought The Argus reported this some time ago and it was confirmed (in the summer) or am I thinking of someone else?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is essentially a slightly lesser version of the Director of Football role. It is clear that, though CH is wonderful, we don't have anyone who oversees the footballing operations which is getting bigger all the time. A technical director would, ideally, oversee all footballing staff under a strong vision - recruitment and playing across the board is run with joined up thinking. I think that we are slowly and surely growing into a big club, and the longer we stay in the PL we will change and adapt to where we very much fit in (and can go to a higher level).

And employ vast numbers of administrators. Like all orgnizations. Until the organization does nothng but administrate. Then it goes into administration.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[TWEET]1043032790382460928[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here