[News] RIP Denis Norden

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...aged 96.

A comedy writing great in my view - with Frank Muir he was responsible for the “infamy, infamy...” quip in Carry On...

He also played the radio game (which name I can’t remember) where you had to give funny definitions of phrases/words really well. A particular favourite of mine being the aria La Donna e mobile = the bird’s got a motorbike.

One of the very first into Bergen Belsen on liberation, which shocked him profoundly and influenced his actions for the rest of his life.

They don’t make them lik him any more.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a kid I found him irritating on an ITV daytime show Looks Familiar, where his guests/mates included Muir. Just a generational thing.

But latterly I can appreciate that Denis was a very talented guy, a legend of showbusiness, what a life lived.

How horrific to have witnessed the Nazi’s deeds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Total legend. RIP.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
...aged 96.

A comedy writing great in my view - with Frank Muir he was responsible for the “infamy, infamy...” quip in Carry On...

He also played the radio game (which name I can’t remember) where you had to give funny definitions of phrases/words really well. A particular favourite of mine being the aria La Donna e mobile = the bird’s got a motorbike.

One of the very first into Bergen Belsen on liberation, which shocked him profoundly and influenced his actions for the rest of his life.

My word My music , clever chap.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
...aged 96.

It was 'My Word', a panel game. Norden and Frank Muir were always on opposite sides and in the final round had to given a funny account of a well known phrase or saying. For some reason the I remember just one. Asked to explain the origin of 'you can't have your cake and eat it' Muir came up with a convoluted explanation involving Eskimos ending up 'you can't have your kayak and heat it'. Well, it was a different era - and in their time these two were cutting edge!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember watching him on Call My Bluff with Frank Muir.
I think that's where [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] gets all his big words from :)

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A quiet legend.

He has caused me to laugh more times than I even know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Denis Norden was involved in one of the most surreal moments of my life. As a young lad (mid-20s) I was working in London, and walking around during my lunchtime I would occasionally see a famous face. We were just off Oxford Street, and I believe there were quite a few recording studios around there. Anyway, one day, I was wandering along and I saw this guy walking towards me, "Ah it's Denis Norden" I said to myself. But as he passed me, I realised my mistake, and my internal monologue corrected myself saying "no, you idiot that was Barry Norman ...... THAT is Denis Norden" as Denis Norden himself DID appear in front of me, no more than 50 yeards behind Barry Norman who I'd mistook for Denis Norden.

Hmm, not sure that story tells very well, but I was in a state of disbelief at the time. It now sounds like something dull off the Viz letters page.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was 'My Word', a panel game. Norden and Frank Muir were always on opposite sides and in the final round had to given a funny account of a well known phrase or saying. For some reason the I remember just one. Asked to explain the origin of 'you can't have your cake and eat it' Muir came up with a convoluted explanation involving Eskimos ending up 'you can't have your kayak and heat it'. Well, it was a different era - and in their time these two were cutting edge!

My Word, indeed. My word, he got to 96, which is a good innings. RIP.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Denis Norden was involved in one of the most surreal moments of my life. As a young lad (mid-20s) I was working in London, and walking around during my lunchtime I would occasionally see a famous face. We were just off Oxford Street, and I believe there were quite a few recording studios around there. Anyway, one day, I was wandering along and I saw this guy walking towards me, "Ah it's Denis Norden" I said to myself. But as he passed me, I realised my mistake, and my internal monologue corrected myself saying "no, you idiot that was Barry Norman ...... THAT is Denis Norden" as Denis Norden himself DID appear in front of me, no more than 50 yeards behind Barry Norman who I'd mistook for Denis Norden.

Hmm, not sure that story tells very well, but I was in a state of disbelief at the time. It now sounds like something dull off the Viz letters page.

Ah, Barry Norman - and why not?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Never said that apparently..........a bit like "Play it Again Sam".

Its amazing how many phrases we associate with famous people actually started with impressionists. Barry norman 'and why not' started by rory bremner. Dennis healey ' what a silly billy' started by mike yarwood (although my colleague once got healey to say it after she badgered him about it and he explained he never said it and how yarwood only said it as an adlib while filming as him etc etc. Finally after everybod else in the place had left and just as he was walking out, he then said it to us)

Spitting image had their own standard norden line ' if youre one of those people who thought that....'

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Never said that apparently..........a bit like "Play it Again Sam".

Really? Did it just come from Spitting Image then?

Max Bygraves never used to say "I wanna tell you a story ..." apparently, yet it always seemed to be the stock phrase used in impersonations of him.

Oh, and Michel Kuipers was never a Chef in the Dutch Marines, that was just a joke by Paul Rogers.

#UrbanMyths

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Capture.JPG

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Very funny and clever man. So much more to him than "It'll be alright on the night"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here