Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephen Darby retires because of Motor Neurone Disease

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Been reported today that Bolton defender Stephen Darby has had to retire from football as he has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45561264

Horrible disease - thoughts with him and Steph Houghton (England womens team captain who he married in June), his family and friends. Just goes to show you should always live live to the fullest....

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Awful disease, and at age 29 to contract it is equally tragic. The former Glasgow Rangers player Fernando Rickson is another victim of this disease.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A horrible condition. It struck my dad about 2 years ago and he isn't the same guy anymore.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Until recently my first awareness of MND was through David Niven, my second was Stephen Hawking. I learned of a friend suffering MND earlier in the year, another person locally only recently, now Stephen Darby. Is this a sign of it joining dementia as what you might suggest is a growing phenomenon in humans and, if so, is the rise in both hidden somewhere in our modern lifestyles?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Until recently my first awareness of MND was through David Niven, my second was Stephen Hawking. I learned of a friend suffering MND earlier in the year, another person locally only recently, now Stephen Darby. Is this a sign of it joining dementia as what you might suggest is a growing phenomenon in humans and, if so, is the rise in both hidden somewhere in our modern lifestyles?

No increase in incidence in the UK between 1990 and 2005

EG https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3093130/

Interestingly, it’s one of the few diseases where a fatty is less likely to get it than a stick insect

EG http://www.millionwomenstudy.org/pu...urone-disease-in-uk-women-a-prospective-study

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My mother-in-law died from it a few years ago - absolutely horrible disease.

Wish him all the best in the future

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No. My cousin had it in th 60s. Diagnosis more definitive now, that's all. Like many other conditions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ouch! Tough luck, especially at such a young age. Hope he manages to live the rest of his life to the full, and makes the most of every day. All the best, son.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Sorry to hear of all on this board with personal experience of MND - hope you all get (or got) the support that you, your family and friends needed. Know its not always the case though - my uncle is still waiting for a diagnosis 3 years after getting what they originally thought was a Stroke or Parkinsons but hes now not able to walk far and has trouble speaking but they are still waiting for the next hospital appointment and scan... *sigh*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here