Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Negative" support

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's just abit of fun isn't it?

If you don't like it, don't join in. There are plenty of others like you in answer to your question, the "I only sing the songs for which I like the tune and wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments" brigade.

I mean **** me, we're not QUITE there with football yet are we? That we might damage the sensibilities of opposing fans with offensive songs?

It's intended to be fun, yes, and as I say there's plenty of time for some bantz with/about the opposing fans, players, team, club etc etc

Last night, however, nearly every chant that was about Southampton seemed ill-thought out or poorly timed so, as you suggest, I didn't join in. "Two nil and you ****ed it up" after the final whistle, however, I was all over.

I don't give a shit about the sensibilities of opposing fans and/or offensive songs but maybe give just a little bit of thought to the context, eh?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.
I like that song, but as you say, not when there's a fair chance they're about to score the winner. Although Matty saved it nicely, if it had been closer to the post he'd have struggled.

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home?
You're taking things a bit literally Bozza, it's just a song.

Is ti just me? Am I a grumpy old man?
Fair to say you're a bit grumpy today, which is odd after the decent come-back you witnessed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Grumpy! If you were 20/30 years younger you'd be wading in with most of those. I was there last night, and given the choice between being an Albion fan (wide range of songs, supporting the team despite a truly abysmal first 45) and a Southampton fan (one song, plus singing our songs back at us in a pathetic way), I know which I'd rather be.

Agreed, yes, but I wasn't making the opposing point.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Don’t mind 2-0 and you fu#ked it up, but not a fan of the other songs mentioned in the initial post. Thought the atmosphere was fairly decent last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The bloke next to me walked out when their second went in saying I've had enough of this shit i'm going home.

Now that, is "Negative" support.

Probably the same bloke I was stood next to back in 96 when Carlisle won at The Goldstone, who turned to me and said "This is bollox, iv'e had enough of this I am going to the Bridge from now on"

We can do without them negative bozo's, shame is his ticket could have been used by someone who really cares.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This has long been a bit of annoyance to me.

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

Other classics from last night:

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

Other than the shithole song yes, grumpy old man. I get nervous about timing of the pisstaking such as with the 2-0 and you ****ed it up but that's just superstition.

Piss taking is an important part of being a supporter surely? Their support was f'ing shit too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Piss taking is an important part of being a supporter surely?

Yep, as I've tried to stress I absolutely agree with and participate in.

Anyway, I've 9 thumbs up on my opening post now, so I'm going to pretend that everyone agrees with me and go and find something else to moan about.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think we should produce a banner along the lines of this one.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536639077840.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536639077840.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 662

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This has long been a bit of annoyance to me.

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Ridiculous chant AT THAT TIME. Fine at other times, and perfect from the safety of after the final whistle. Imagine their joy if they'd scored that free kick after we'd taunted them.

Other classics from last night:

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

How is the South Coast anywhere near 'ours'? Saints have been ahead of us for some years, and surely AFCPlucky will have some claim on that currently? Silly chant.

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

Southampton is a long long way from being a shithole. It's like we're scrabbling round for something to rile them - throwing all possible insults. Silly.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

Another chant that serves no real purpose.

You are not grumpy. And you are a relatively young man.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think it must be an age thing as I agree with the OP. I suspect when I was 15 I was all over the songs I now condemn as a more mature individual. However the timing of the 2-0 and you ****ed it up chant was inexcusable regardless of your age

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I agree, especially when we play Palace at home. The last home game against them, I made a point of not singing if it was a Palace song... and ended up not singing one single song in support of the Albion. Our fascination with them up the road borders on obsession and you just have to look at this board to see that. Boring.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems some people are over thinking this a bit too much. Basically some really drunk fans in the away end think it's funny to start a certain chant so do so. That's it. I doubt they are sober enough to think of the context.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I think you're over thinking it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Highlight of the chanting last night for me was when the few vocal Saints fans were chanting "who's the w*nker in black?" at a Brighton fan that had been winding them up and they got a "who's the wanker in red?" chant back at them. Shut them up pretty sharpish.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anybody who pays their money to follow their team away from home can’t really be accused of negative support, that honour goes to the matchday thread donks on here criticising everything that doesn’t go our way from the armchair , it’s football it’s always been this way whoever you support , if I want to sing when we’re not winning , I will .
So there .

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I disagree with your second point. The area surrounding St Mary’s is awful. Shithole gives it justice.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
"Maty Ryan Socceroo... he hates Palace" grinds my gears for the same reason.

That one makes me laugh.
A. Like he gives a **** about Palace
B. Socceroos has to be the shittest nickname ever for a football team.
C. Anything to that tune sounds comical

I will keep singing it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here