Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Negative" support

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
But what really and a I mean REALLY gets me is that utterly stupid Propper and Stephens song about NEVER giving the ball away. Utterly tedious rubbish.

especially as it often ends with the same result "...ay-e-ay never gives the ball aw..ahh crap"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tend to agree with Brovion in that I have no problem with nicking a good song idea if it's decent and amending appropriately. But also that if you're say 90 per cent piss-taking, that is verging into tinpot territory.

On the 'nicking good ideas' subject I really liked their Iwan Thomas one of sleeping out at St Mary's to raise money/awareness of homeless charities. Brighton also has a big problem there, and if they did that at the Amex (with protective sheet or whatever underneath for the pitch) I think a lot of people might do that. Great experience for the kids, and for a good cause.

We've done it for the past few Summers - https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2016/may/camp-on-the-pitch-this-weekend/ - just not tied into a charity, but to do so would be a cracking idea.

(And we nicked the idea from another club, I've forgotten who however)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The 'XXX is a shithole' is cringe, generally don't mind the rest.

However, it did go through my mind how pissed off I'd be if I was a West Ham player when "how shit must you be, we're winning away" was ringing round the ground when they were 3-1 up at Everton on Sunday. Maybe it doesn't bother them, I don't know.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

Is ti just me? Am I a grumpy old man?

Agree, we could have been made to look complete tw*ts if that had gone in

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd have happily gone with "Small town near Bournemouth/Portsmouth" though...

Reminds me of when we were at Cardiff a few years ago, and started chanting "Small town near Swansea......". That really made me chuckle.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I miss the old days(old days for me, for some of you they're fairly recent...) when the north stand would sing such positive ditties as:

you're going home in a sussex ambulance

you're gonna get your ****ing head kicked in

get your tits out for the lads

stevie coppel's got v.d(that's a postive one because it's about something he has rahter than doesn't have)

A whole selection of anti palace songs(in a time when we were divisions apart)
Is that all you take away

Various other songs insulting the opposition, their towns, sexual proclivities, life choices and economic circumstances.etc etc

Basically it's been this way for at least 30 years, presumably more, so to answer the question; yes, Bozza, you are an old grumpo.:thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree with most of that Bozza, though I think I prefer Burnley to Southampton! At least the ground and its surrounds.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Completely agree. It's like the people that have to sing "****ing useless" after the first shank of the game, with no consideration for how east it is for the opposition to rip the piss if we concede

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I lived in Southampton for a while. It was rubbish compared to Brighton, with a complete concrete jungle of a centre (thanks to the Luftwaffe), bar tiny remnants of an ancient wall and lacking the buzz of many regional cities.

I quite like that chant.

Me too...for some years. It was a rubbish place to live 20 years ago and on my most recent return two years ago, it was going downhill fast!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Grumpy!

I love a singsong and that's why my (adult) son sits in West Upper whilst I'm still there at the back of the North Stand 40 years on. I'll sing pretty much anything to be honest and taking the piss out of the opposition fans and players is all part of the fun.

Each to their own. If you don't want to sing / don't like the song, there is no obligation to join in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

?

Picture this. Away to Liverpool at the end of last season. Sun shining, beer cheap and we’re in a classic pre footy pub packed to the rafters before the game. Before it’s even kicked off. Most of us either have hangovers from Mathew Street or have started early on the way up. We’ve managed to get in the beer garden so my mate can have a smoke and are chatting to some friendly Scousers. So what does a group of Brighton do? Try to start off the “I want to go home song”.

News flash - Liverpool really is a shit hole but some basic research would have established that. And you don’t want to go home. You want to watch your team get battered by Salah and no one’s even in their seats yet.

No one joined in so they loudly left the pub complaining it was “boring”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably the same bloke I was stood next to back in 96 when Carlisle won at The Goldstone, who turned to me and said "This is bollox, iv'e had enough of this I am going to the Bridge from now on"

We can do without them negative bozo's, shame is his ticket could have been used by someone who really cares.

You're conflating a bit there. I have left early (or attempted to leave early) on numerous occasions. There is more chance, however, of my having a threesome with Angelina Jolie and Fanny Ardant than there is of my switching my affections to Another Lady (I mean Club).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Picture this. Away to Liverpool at the end of last season. Sun shining, beer cheap and we’re in a classic pre footy pub packed to the rafters before the game. Before it’s even kicked off. Most of us either have hangovers from Mathew Street or have started early on the way up. We’ve managed to get in the beer garden so my mate can have a smoke and are chatting to some friendly Scousers. So what does a group of Brighton do? Try to start off the “I want to go home song”.

News flash - Liverpool really is a shit hole but some basic research would have established that. And you don’t want to go home. You want to watch your team get battered by Salah and no one’s even in their seats yet.

No one joined in so they loudly left the pub complaining it was “boring”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive gear-grinding cringe. Heaven preserve me from Spotty Yoof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here