Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away Kit

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It's all about the marketing.
Live on Telly, too good a chance to miss.
We can hide behind the fact Saints had white stripes on their tops.
Not supposed to have any matching colours (we wore Green socks not white).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This thread has made me look at the wonderful Historical Kits website. Which made me wonder... what the f*** are Spurs planning on wearing away against us (and against Huddersfield for that matter).

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The green kit is just appalling. It definitely has a negative affect on the play too. You rely heavily on peripheral vision as a player, to see players making runs between defenders in order for you to make that killer through-ball. You are looking at the ball but seeing a flash of shirt colour in your peripheral vision and have a split second to make that pass. If you blend into the pitch all that is lost - and probably explains all the passes into 'space' last night.

The above is based on many years as a Sunday league/5-a-side player. I'm sure its the same for the pro's.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Looking at Paul Barber's casual look (nice pringle sweater and slacks) could it be the same Mr B who was responsible for the appalling colour choice of our away shirt???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Colour clash of white stripes?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
According to somebody who phoned Radio 5 (who were pretty scathing about our unnecessary use of an away kit) 1 in 12 men can't tell red from blue.......no, I don't believe it either.

And just for the record, I too, like many on NSC, would far rather see the Albion turning out looking like Brighton and Hove Albion in our blue and white stripes instead of a team dressed as Santa's little helpers.

I’m colourblind, and I know quite a few others who are, none of them have trouble with red and blue, red and green however, that was a real drag for me last night, and I’d imagine the half dozen others I know who are colourblind would say exactly the same.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The green kit is just appalling. It definitely has a negative affect on the play too. You rely heavily on peripheral vision as a player, to see players making runs between defenders in order for you to make that killer through-ball. You are looking at the ball but seeing a flash of shirt colour in your peripheral vision and have a split second to make that pass. If you blend into the pitch all that is lost - and probably explains all the passes into 'space' last night.

The above is based on many years as a Sunday league/5-a-side player. I'm sure its the same for the pro's.

Green is the easiest colour to distinguish, and the easiest to see at a distance

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As I have red/green colour deficiency, or so it was called on my medical last night strips were horrendous to distinguish. When I last had a medical I was told it was 1 in 10 for men which rises as a percentage as we get older and a lot don’t even know they’ve become it. For women it’s greater than 1 in 50. Red / green is most common but my grandad had blue / green. A lad a year ahead of me at school could see no colour everything was shades of grey!

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We should have changed at half time like Man Utd years ago. Our boys clearly couldn't pick each other out

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

You may be right, but you may not (in assuming that it is necessarily the same for the pro's). Most top level clubs do whatever they can to get an advantage. I know that top level clubs in the better-funded team sports use various tools and techniques to train, improve and measure the peripheral vision of players. I would be surprised if we don't do this.

As I said, you may be right, however top-level athletes aren't like the rest of us mere mortals.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003

I have also spent many years playing sunday league/5-a-side and can confirm I would use any old excuse for playing shit :wink:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

This just simply isn’t true. Players do not have a view downwards onto the pitch, they are pitch level - the colour they need to distinguish against is the crowd or stand, not trees or the rest of the park, like you would be used to at Sunday league. Clubs like Wolfsburg, Werder Bremen and Plymouth have played in green for their entire club histories.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Goal keepers wear green, our away kit should be yellow with blue trim.

IMG_0055.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here