Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Killing Eve

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I haven't read the comments here, so avoided any spoilers, but Mrs Bobkin and I watched the first episode of this last night and thought it was fantastic. But is it wrong that I found parts of it properly hilarious too? :lol:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I haven't read the comments here, so avoided any spoilers, but Mrs Bobkin and I watched the first episode of this last night and thought it was fantastic. But is it wrong that I found parts of it properly hilarious too? :lol:

Kind of the point of the show. The writer, Phoebe Waller Bridge, is a comedian, probably most famous for playing a robot in Solo: A Star Wars Story, but is also the writer (and star) of Fleabag which is just superb.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So true, the complete psychopath female assassin is so likeable, very wrong :shrug:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
anyone else notice the continuity error with the perfume?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
anyone else notice the continuity error with the perfume?

Do you mean when the boyfriend left the flat sometime previously but then suddenly fell down dead outside the door?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Do you mean when the boyfriend left the flat sometime previously but then suddenly fell down dead outside the door?

No. I think the perfume bottle was nearly empty when she killed the woman and nearly full when she killed the boyfriend.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
No. I think the perfume bottle was nearly empty when she killed the woman and nearly full when she killed the boyfriend.

Then sadly the answer is no. But did you notice that the boyfriend had left the flat much earlier but then suddenly dropped dead in the hall outside of the door?? Or had he gone for a takeaway, in which case he wasted his money and should have just ordered for one? :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eve's erratic behaviour got to me a couple of times. The part where she decides to stop the car, get out and calmly face down Villanelle in the woods when she's pointing a gun at her FACE...that didn't sit right. Even less so when Villanelle later turns up at Eve's house, and this time Eve is so terrified for her life that she locks herself in the bathroom. So what is it ? Bravely facing her down, or running from her in terror of her life ?

And the ending...ugh. Eve calmly and deliberately pushes a knife into Villanelle's stomach. Then immediately, I dunno, "realises" whats she's done and runs around trying to get towels to save her (even though Villanelle is by now pointing a gun at her again, but she's gone all brave again). Why ??

Enjoyed the series overall I suppose, but those aspects just irritated me and detracted.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I watched the whole series on Tuesday vedged out under the duvet on the sofa suffering from the lurgy. It was very good and darkly comedic but I felt it faded off in the last 3 or so episodes though. A very good watch though overall and cheers to [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] for originally recommending it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Superb programme - silly and compelling at the same time. Can't wait for Series 2 (already being made I believe).

And if you haven't watched Fleabag, you're missing one of the truly great bit of recent TV writing (comedy or not).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Eve's erratic behaviour got to me a couple of times. The part where she decides to stop the car, get out and calmly face down Villanelle in the woods when she's pointing a gun at her FACE...that didn't sit right. Even less so when Villanelle later turns up at Eve's house, and this time Eve is so terrified for her life that she locks herself in the bathroom. So what is it ? Bravely facing her down, or running from her in terror of her life ?

And the ending...ugh. Eve calmly and deliberately pushes a knife into Villanelle's stomach. Then immediately, I dunno, "realises" whats she's done and runs around trying to get towels to save her (even though Villanelle is by now pointing a gun at her again, but she's gone all brave again). Why ??

Enjoyed the series overall I suppose, but those aspects just irritated me and detracted.

I don't normally watch series like this as the plot lines generally strike me as a bit trite and predictable, and I don't really like watching depictions of violence. But I heard great things about Killing Eve and watched the entire series over about three sittings.

I did enjoy it, but agree there were some inconsistencies in a lot of the characters, and some of the situations were strangely written, as you point out. For some of the "hits", there was so much chance of getting caught or identified. Why no CCTV in the hospital for example? How come nobody else around for the perfume incident with the woman? How do you get to scale a Tuscan villa and then lure the host to his death with so many people, and security, around?

Also I found Eve's character a bit annoying after a while. Those little gasps. That permanently-worried expression. The needless friction with her husband.

Maybe some of it comes down to having different writers handling different episodes. Phoebe W-B didn't write all of it, as I definitely noticed at least two other writing credits.

But ... it's TV I guess, not high art, and it was entertaining and quite gripping. Not sure the ending was as good as it could have been but hey ho.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I still think it was silly.

A far better performance from her in 460260.jpg-c_300_300_x-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg

Ne'er mind, Trapped S2 hits the Beeb soon. Great stuff.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't normally watch series like this as the plot lines generally strike me as a bit trite and predictable, and I don't really like watching depictions of violence. But I heard great things about Killing Eve and watched the entire series over about three sittings.

I did enjoy it, but agree there were some inconsistencies in a lot of the characters, and some of the situations were strangely written, as you point out. For some of the "hits", there was so much chance of getting caught or identified. Why no CCTV in the hospital for example? How come nobody else around for the perfume incident with the woman? How do you get to scale a Tuscan villa and then lure the host to his death with so many people, and security, around?

Also I found Eve's character a bit annoying after a while. Those little gasps. That permanently-worried expression. The needless friction with her husband.

Maybe some of it comes down to having different writers handling different episodes. Phoebe W-B didn't write all of it, as I definitely noticed at least two other writing credits.

But ... it's TV I guess, not high art, and it was entertaining and quite gripping. Not sure the ending was as good as it could have been but hey ho.

Agree with all of that.
I also found it amazing that Eve didn't clock far sooner that the "nurse" she encountered in the ladies room at the hospital acting VERY oddly (and telling her to wear her hair down) wasn't the assassin she was tracking, being as she walked straight out onto a murder scene immediately after. I thought she was supposed to be a really sharp cookie ??

Anyway, not a bad bit of TV fluff, but not as great as some are making out IMO.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Finished off the last three episodes last night and feel the same as a lot of you. A bit silly in parts – and a bit of a disappointing/meh ending – but entertaining nonetheless. There were elements of the plot that seemed to go all over the place as well, which didn't really help but then, as mentioned before, that can happen when you have different writers onboard...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here