Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper - I'm sorry

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
On a good day, Propper and Stephens stop the opposition from playing. Equally, on nights like tonight, they can stop us too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All three midfielders were dreadful first half.

All three midfielders were better second half.

On the back of this, zeroing in on just one of them makes no sense.

In the first half Stephens and Bissouma misplaced passes, lost possession, lost tackles. They also fought for the ball, closed down opponents, moved around the pitch and put effort in. Propper was merely entirely un-involved in the game. So I do think that is a sizeable difference between their respective performances and worthy of note.

I don't think its just this game either, Watford was similar. Something to look out for in future in any case

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In the first half Stephens and Bissouma misplaced passes, lost possession, lost tackles. They also fought for the ball, closed down opponents, moved around the pitch and put effort in. Propper was merely entirely un-involved in the game. So I do think that is a sizeable difference between their respective performances and worthy of note.

I don't think its just this game either, Watford was similar. Something to look out for in future in any case

Highly selective.

He was arguably man of the match against Manchester United, and he put in a shift against Fulham.

So I'm not sure what this agenda is all about.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

I have to say.. I entirely agree with you and get what you are saying. He was missing.. the other two tried but were poor. Propper also lost the ball for the first phase in the opening goal didn’t he?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
To single out Propper tonight is idiocy, he was superb against Man Utd and Pogba barely a few weeks ago, and is one of our most consistent performers.

No-one emerged with any credit after the first half; however we recovered sufficiently to get a useful point.

We move on.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To single out Propper tonight is idiocy, he was superb against Man Utd and Pogba barely a few weeks ago, and is one of our most consistent performers.

No-one emerged with any credit after the first half; however we recovered sufficiently to get a useful point.

We move on.

I don’t think the OP is singling Propper as being worse than some others. Simply that he just wasn’t doing anything! Others were just poor, Propper didn’t get involved.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I don’t think the OP is singling Propper as being worse than some others. Simply that he just wasn’t doing anything! Others were just poor, Propper didn’t get involved.

I disagree, the thread specifically focuses on Davy Propper. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was inept first half, but so was everyone. However, I don't think dwelling on one of our better players having an off day is particularly beneficial, especially when we got away with it

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
All 3 central midfielders seemed to expect that one of the others would make the effort in the 1st half.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The root cause of the problem is not the players.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Needs to improve, off-day or not, he is not getting in the box enough, and in every away game so far he has been careless in possession.

Stephens was also dreadful last evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I disagree, the thread specifically focuses on Davy Propper. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was inept first half, but so was everyone. However, I don't think dwelling on one of our better players having an off day is particularly beneficial, especially when we got away with it

I agree with the thrust of the OP's point about Propper's anonymity in the first half, although I like him as a player. Duffy, however, was excellent in the first half and it was the combination of this and Southampton's finishing ineptitude that meant we went in at half time only one down. We were dreadful first half. Duffy wasn't. We were much improved second half (after a rollicking team talk).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Probably mentioned elsewhere but Locadia has quickly fitted into the CMS/Best/Manu mould as not up to this level at all.

#leagueoneatbest

In defence of the OP original target along with Stephens, the movement tonight for distribution passes (especially first half) was appalling.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bissouma, locadia & propper were all awful

Whilst admitting it is still relatively early days, I have seen nothing at all from Locadia yet. I know it can't be easy for him not being able to force his way into the side, but on the odd occasion he has started he has been poor.

His performance in the Caaibou Cup defeat by Southampton last month was lacklustre at best, he didn't get involved at all. When he does get a chance he really does need to grab it with both hands.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Probably mentioned elsewhere but Locadia has quickly fitted into the CMS/Best/Manu mould as not up to this level at all.

#leagueoneatbest

In defence of the OP original target along with Stephens, the movement tonight for distribution passes (especially first half) was appalling.

I think even CMS and Manu offered more than we have seen from Locadia thus far. Leon Best though must be in a class of his own as one of the poorest players to wear an Albion shirt for some time.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Did you watch him second half? He was pushed forward into a number 10 role, and at times it looked like his natural position. He can turn very well and has a great first touch. Pushing him on actually made a huge difference, and was part of the reason we were so much better in the 2nd half. He quite clearly had a rocket put up him at half time because as you say he did nothing first half but was everywhere in the 2nd.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did you watch him second half? He was pushed forward into a number 10 role, and at times it looked like his natural position. He can turn very well and has a great first touch. Pushing him on actually made a huge difference, and was part of the reason we were so much better in the 2nd half. He quite clearly had a rocket put up him at half time because as you say he did nothing first half but was everywhere in the 2nd.

Correct. Weird choice for this week’s ‘name the scapegoat’ - he had a poor 45 mins, that’s all. The whole midfield were dominated in the first half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here