Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia tonight

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Crikey. So we are not only a club that always plays with only one striker (or two, with Murray playing every game), but also we only ever play the same guys? I suspect the days of the first eleven, which plays week in week out (Sprake, Cooper, Reaney, Charlton, Hunter, Bremner, Giles Gray, Clarke, Jones, Lorimer - took 20 seconds to type that from memory - now do that with 'the' Albion side of the last 5 years) are.....long gone. As the season progresses different players will be picked based on the judgement of the manager. They won't get a set number of run outs, then become either a first elven fixture or loaned out to QPR or Reading. We are *cough* in th PL now *cough*.

Madeley always played somewhere if fit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hemed would have been so much better yesterday. To date Locadia has been gash.

Hemed was used in a very similar way. Man City at home. Tottenham away. Chelsea home and away, didn't get a sniff, fans used this as more evidence for getting rid, casting off to championship and sticking with Murray. It's why fan reaction to Locadia yesterday is so predictable. We've seen it before.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Judging by the comments on here, we appear to have bought the equivalent of several Mackail-Smiths as our back-up strikers. Looked great in their previous teams which is why we bought them, but we don't/won't/can't play to their strengths (whatever they are) so they now all look shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Madeley always played somewhere if fit.

He played for Leeds 1963 to 1980. Was deputy to Reanny till 1970, then became almost ever present, but as utility man, playing every position except goal. I still think of him as a sub, like Mick Bates, as I started paying attention to Leeds in 1969.

Died in the summer. RIP. Brilliant player.

And your mentioning him proves my point. Back then teams were so 'fixed', in Leeds' case year in yar out (loads of them clocking up 500 plus games for the same club), one can even name 'the' substitute.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
wooo woooo steady on there.
This whole thread is me supporting him and saying he should play. against the tide of opposition.

No, I meant your suggestion that you cut out the middle man and boo players. I’ll clap cheer and support Locadia for all I’m worth but at present I can’t deny my opinion of him. Same as CMS, cheered him to the rafters but knew he wasn’t good enough ultimately.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Hemed was used in a very similar way. Man City at home. Tottenham away. Chelsea home and away, didn't get a sniff, fans used this as more evidence for getting rid, casting off to championship and sticking with Murray. It's why fan reaction to Locadia yesterday is so predictable. We've seen it before.

Hemed was not always a goal threat, but his all round contribution was significantly better than Locadia's. I'm talking about work rate, making his presence felt (like Murray did immediately after he came on), occasionally winning something in the air, controlling the ball when it came in to feet and then laying it off. Nobody was expecting Locadia to do brilliantly against Man City, but we expected him to do more than just trot around aimlessly for most of the game. He was a passenger - we might as well have played with 10 men.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He played for Leeds 1963 to 1980. Was deputy to Reanny till 1970, then became almost ever present, but as utility man, playing every position except goal. I still think of him as a sub, like Mick Bates, as I started paying attention to Leeds in 1969.

Died in the summer. RIP. Brilliant player.

And your mentioning him proves my point. Back then teams were so 'fixed', in Leeds' case year in yar out (loads of them clocking up 500 plus games for the same club), one can even name 'the' substitute.

You're right.

Different club: David Fairclough, the perennial sub.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sorry, can't agree with any of your points above.

45 goals in 127 appearances . Only the Dutch league , granted, but for me that shows there’s more to him than the Non entity we’ve seen so far for Albion .
And have you watched his goal video on YouTube? Again, It is like watching a different player.
He’s been a Major disappointment so far though, that’s for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I meant your suggestion that you cut out the middle man and boo players. I’ll clap cheer and support Locadia for all I’m worth but at present I can’t deny my opinion of him. Same as CMS, cheered him to the rafters but knew he wasn’t good enough ultimately.

Oh no I've moved on, boooo Locadia is so last week, I'm going to be boooooing Andone.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Judging by the comments on here, we appear to have bought the equivalent of several Mackail-Smiths as our back-up strikers. Looked great in their previous teams which is why we bought them, but we don't/won't/can't play to their strengths (whatever they are) so they now all look shit.

Whenever I see the phrase "We don't play to their strengths" the alarm bells start ringing. You don't suddenly reconfigure your entire side to accomodate your new big money signing. Rather you buy a player that slots right into your existing work ethos and way of playing. We can do it in defence and midfield, why should it be any different up front?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Locadia maybe is a goal poacher like Linekar, I don't think he's a play maker, I believe against city he had no chance he's just not that sort of a player, we are used to playing with Murray who has a lot of everything about him.
Until we can get Locadia in the box to just tap it in I think we wont see his best . He has got skill - no doubt about it but until we play to his strength which is being spoon fed the ball, I think we will be concerned, I hope he keeps off social media or he will have no confidence
Andone ------ I hope your good

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How many crappy signings do the club have to do from that crappy Dutch league before the club catch up with the fans 100% correct assessment of that crappy league. Why do we keep signing rubbish players from that rubbish league? ???

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Locadia had no chance yesterday, of the times that he did get the ball the midfield were usually strolling up the pitch 30 yards behind him.

I don't think he's the right player for our formation and style of play, he was very much a panic buy.
The way some people want to slag him off makes feel a bit uncomfortable.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It was £14m well spent in that it spurred Glenn on last season.

I don't see anything in Locardia that we need. He certainly is unable to hold the ball up.

I thought he played best when put on the left at Liverpool.

I'm writing that investment off. I'm hoping CH doesn't persist with him for too long. I'll give him a chance for a few more games. After that, I'd sooner see what Percy Tau can do.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Percy Tau! You won’t see him for a while. Definitely not this season. Andone is the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here