Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Penalty taker

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure where 10/12 came from, Glenn has scored a total of seven premier league penalties and has missed/had saved four.

In his time at Palace, in all competitions, he scored 6 and missed 5, which is well below average.

Think it refers to 10/12 for BHA in his current stint (3 seasons), not his PL stats.

In his overall career he's got 28/41

Tomer's record is much, much better at 21/23

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do. Hemed was quality at pens. But people need to get over that, realise that he wasn't perfect
We know that, it's not possible to be perfect at sport.
and accept that 10/12 pens from Glenn is a very decent return.
We know that too, everyone's pleased with how well Glenn's doing, with penalties, with goals from open play, and with his work-rate and hassling defenders. Everyone except Palace fans, that is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He was the obvious choice yes, but who knows, on the night maybe someone else could have fancied it.
Who?

Do you enjoy criticizing other peoples comments?
It depends what I think of the poster.
you certainly seem to make a habit of it.
Yes, it is something of an annoying habit, but I don't take posts here too seriously.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Interesting though - I've often wondered what would really happen if takers just started punting it down the middle. Given that keepers almost always dive one way or the other - penalties down the middle must have a pretty high chance of scoring? How long would it take for keepers to start standing still?

This is Maty Ryan's tactic. He likes to stand, till the last minute (second)

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This guy:-

[tweet]1042535012095209472[/tweet]

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Every professional footballer should be able to hit the target from 12 yards.

I think each week it should be a different taker based on a randomised system. Keepers won’t be able to study where our regular takers put the ball as we won’t have a regular taker.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Every professional footballer should be able to hit the target from 12 yards.

That sounds like it's a smart line, but really it ignores the reality of penalty taking. I would wager every single professional footballer, even the likes of Ali Dia would be able to hit the target from twelve yards. Kicking a ball toward a giant rectangle that is 8ft by 24ft from 12 yards away is pretty simple. Hell, Gross hit the target on his last penalty.

The problem is that you also have a goalkeeper to beat. So it's not just about 'hitting the target'. It's about beating the man, and for some, that means forgoing accuracy and plumping for power. For somethat means trying to hit a slither of the rectangle that is barely as wide as the ball in the hope it is out of the reach of the keeper (again, there is also the possibility of sacrificing accuracy for power here, too, which can lead to misses). For some, it's about trying to send the keeper the wrong way, or trying to judge where the keeper is going and making your mind up which direction to shoot almost as your foot is hitting the ball, leaving plenty of scope for mis-kicks.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So - putting the above debate (about the corners or down the middle) in reverse - why did Maty dive to his left when Kane puts most of his penalties to the right of the keeper. This is where the psychology of penalties really comes in - I suspect Maty thought 'normally goes to my right, he knows I know he normally goes to my right and so may well put it to my left, so I'll dive left.'

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
So - putting the above debate (about the corners or down the middle) in reverse - why did Maty dive to his left when Kane puts most of his penalties to the right of the keeper. This is where the psychology of penalties really comes in - I suspect Maty thought 'normally goes to my right, he knows I know he normally goes to my right and so may well put it to my left, so I'll dive left.'
He wasn't in the world cup long enough to notice

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here