Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Are Boxing Fans Mugs

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Could be worse. You could pay actual money to see a couple of talent free vloggers off youtube with a "beef" fight each other on the interweb.

Worth pointing out that there is now strong rumours that Jake Paul; one of the vloggers in question, is going to be fighting MMA fighter Sage Northcutt. Potentially on a UFC card.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yet MMA is not adverse to fighters coming out of retirement to face each other for one last pay day. It's just been announced Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz will face each other in November. Liddell hasn't had a fight for 8 years, Tito has had 1 fight in the last 3 years. Thankfully it's well away from the UFC (not that they are adverse to freak shows - see CM Punk, James Toney, Kimbo Slice)

All I know about MMA is Conor McGregor. And he seems a right bell-end.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a good question, and in my opinion, yes they are. The sport should be glorious, but instead it's a farce. In other sports we regularly get to see the best take on the best. In boxing, it's all run by the boxers and their promoters with several so called 'world titles' and the best boxers dodge each other and milk the mug fans.

Meh. Wasn't worth watching last time, Floyd waited until after Manny was well past his best. Fans were robbed the chance to see a proper, spectacular fight between the pair, when they were in their prime.

Great post. Shame we didn’t see Floyd v Manny at their earlier peak.

But I am pleased there are more unifications in the last say 15 years. I followed boxing closely in the 80’s and other than the Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Arguello style unifications and one or two others, there were many WBC, WBA and IBF holders at various weights who never met. The greed of boxers/managers, plus politics between the bodies, robbing fans of finding out the true champions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting that if you google Rocky Marciano it shows as World Heavyweight champion no WBA, WBC or whatever. How times change but is it for the better?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
To be honest its not the proper boxing fans that make these fights huge its Mayweather's appeal to the general public.

Thats why he makes so much more money than any other boxer.

I don't think genuine boxing fans are that interested in watching these pointless exhibition match ups (I am certainly not).

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It's 50/50.

We get mugged by top fighters and their promoters, so we don't get to see the fights that should be made (Money Vs PacMan in prime / AJ Vs Wilder / Fury Vs AJ, and these are only very recent examples).

However, we do see some absolute belters:
GGG Vs Canelo, two of the most entertaining current fighters, match, if not exceeded expectations (void the dodgy scorecards in Fight 1)
Bellew Vs Haye was written off by most people as a farce, however both fights were fantastic.
Bellew Vs Usyk should be great.
Fury Vs Wilder (if it happens), has some potential.
Saunders Vs Andrade could be very good.

What do some people actually want from a boxing match or fight night?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
It's 50/50.

We get mugged by top fighters and their promoters, so we don't get to see the fights that should be made (Money Vs PacMan in prime / AJ Vs Wilder / Fury Vs AJ, and these are only very recent examples).

However, we do see some absolute belters:
GGG Vs Canelo, two of the most entertaining current fighters, match, if not exceeded expectations (void the dodgy scorecards in Fight 1)
Bellew Vs Haye was written off by most people as a farce, however both fights were fantastic.
Bellew Vs Usyk should be great.
Fury Vs Wilder (if it happens), has some potential.
Saunders Vs Andrade could be very good.

What do some people actually want from a boxing match or fight night?

I wish MAY PAC was 2008/2009. I went to MAY PAC and it was the worst fight I have ever been to.

D

Deleted member 18477

Yes some boxing fans are mugs.

I certainly wouldn't pay for Mayweather V Pac 2.

Boxing in the US is a mugs game, has been for years. You literally have to knock the favourite out to win.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
On a general point UFC has now become a far superior product to boxing if combat sports are your thing.

Really? Would have to agree about 3 years ago but not so sure now. Losing interest in UFC and the over focus on McGregor has not actually helped. Too many champs that really don't inspire. It's all about the $ hence the ridiculous suggestion of getting Lesnar back in. Where are the big personalities who could back it up? GSP, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Randy Coutoure, Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Velasquez, Henderson and Vito before he hit the steroids.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here