Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton away: would you take a point now?

Would yo take a point at Southampton now?

• With our away record - of course I would

Votes: 117 65.7%
  • No - we have an away win in us somewhere, we just need to find it

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • The unnecessary third option

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
This is one of those we should look to be winning, however a draw is nailed on. Silly deflection from a set piece last time, probably the same tonight

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Heck no. I fancy us for a glittering thrice of points, and at least 2, yes that's right 2, goals in us, scored at the right end. 1 of these said goals will be a CORKER, too.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am tempted to say yes, our away form is atrocious, the Gus debut aside we always find someway to f**k it up at St Mary's, and a guaranteed point in this league is nothing to be sniffed at.

However, I'm saying no. Whilst I'd gladly take a pre-given point against the top six, I'd like to show more ambition outside of that group event it somehow allows the possibility of defeat. I am hoping that the improved confidence shown in theme at Anfield can be carried into tonight's game. No doubt I'll change my mind later on when it's too late, but sod it, I WANT all three points.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
St Mary's is not a happy hunting ground for us, so yes, I'd take a point right now.

Certainly was when we won 3-1, what a fantastic night that was, a definite change in our fortunes happened that night that led us to where we are now.

I would not be happy taking the point now, this is the type of game we now need to be targeting to gain all three points if we are to progress in this league.
Judging by our second have performance against Liverpool, when we actually made attacking positive substitutions that very nearly paid off, I think we will go for the jugular tonight.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
It would be suicide for the team to go out to play for a draw so why should we as supporters accept it ? The team should be positive and play for a win (yes I know we sit back away from home but that does not mean we should not aim to win) in every game and only settle for 1 point after 80 mins if they are being pummelled.

Well OK it wont be like that but thats how it should be :albion2:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We're not going to win many away this year, that said, this could be one of them, 3 pts

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Could you ask again at 80 minutes? I will be watching then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dim but what do you mean?

I'm not suggesting Hughton is going to gamble. I'm saying that I think this is one of the few away games that we can win and as such if the footballing gods of the gamble offered me a guaranteed draw now I'd say no, I'll let the game play out as I think we can win, even with our duff away record and how we play away from home. I won't take the guaranteed point I'll take the gamble of playing the game in the hope of getting 3 points while being aware it could be 0.

Most away games I'd snap your hand off for the point.

Fair enough, I thought you meant that we should gamble and go for it as a team, which isn’t going to happen!

Of course I would! Our away record is shit and hasn’t shown any sign of improving (except in the number of goals we lose by)

If we do take the lead we’ll drop deep however early in the game we score, and then concede a sloppy equaliser at least, and if we go a goal behind we are unlikely to come back and score more than one.

Spot on & 1:4 on the Score Predictor think it will be 1-1 as well

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...League-Score-Predictor-Now-in-its-8th-SEASON-!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your failure to post a " Southampton's most famous supporter " thread means we will have to settle for a point! ' sake Crodo, you've let us down today.:rant:

I normally wouldn't abuse my mod powers in such a way but I have edited your post to fix the broken quote - a) because they annoy me and b) because it is absolutely VITAL that Crodo sees this and rectifies his error :nono:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Yes, if for no other reason my Saints supporting mates wouldn't have gloating rights on the way back from the game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Certainly was when we won 3-1, what a fantastic night that was, a definite change in our fortunes happened that night that led us to where we are now.

I would not be happy taking the point now, this is the type of game we now need to be targeting to gain all three points if we are to progress in this league.
Judging by our second have performance against Liverpool, when we actually made attacking positive substitutions that very nearly paid off, I think we will go for the jugular tonight.

Yes, but that was 2009, and Gus' first game with us. Southampton have beaten us 33 times to our 20 wins with just 16 draws.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win and would be ecstatic if we did, but I would take a point right now.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'd rather attack and get beat than settle for a boring draw at this stage of the season.

If we don't take the game to teams that we should be capable of beating like Southampton then we are going to be fighting against relegation season after season.

But having said that, I have a feeling that safe Chris will chart a defensive game. :(

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think our new pressing style, couple with Bissouma's mobility will deliver 3 points tonight.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd rather attack and get beat than settle for a boring draw at this stage of the season.

If we don't take the game to teams that we should be capable of beating like Southampton then we are going to be fighting against relegation season after season.

But having said that, I have a feeling that safe Chris will chart a defensive game. :(

I'd rather put faith in a manager that has delivered 3 of the best seasons in the clubs history, than some notion you can just go all out attack in every game. But then I am safe like that. :thumbsup:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I would take a point, especially if it were a score draw - a goal away from home would be a great step forwards! Southampton are one of those sides - if they are just getting into a period of confidence following the win away at Selhurst, and appear to want to play for Hughes (However short-lived that might be) they are a good side on paper, albeit their back-line is probably their weak-spot. Ings/Austin can score goals, Redmond/Bertrand are match-winners on their day.. In the context of the season we are likely to have (facing a battle against relegation like most in the bottom half), any point away from home is a good one.. But it wouldn't be a great shock if we nicked it - would love this to be this years version of West Ham away 17/18..

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've had a small bet on Saints to win with both teams scoring @ 7/2.

If that was to happen I wouldn't be too disappointed from a fans point of view as it would mean we've had a go at them and also winning a few quid. Sitting back and losing 1-0 or 2-0 and I'd be quite pissed off.

Hopefully it's a good match with a couple of goals for both sides or any Albion win.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here