Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I saw it live and on the replays on the (distant) screen in the ground.

It was one hell of a strike that started out wide of the post and came back in.

My gut feel is there wasn't a lot Ryan could have done about it.

I hope we will practice the technique for that goal. It needed to be perfect, anything less and it would not have gone in.

The trouble with deep defence it is vulnerable to brilliancies, bad rub of the green, and conceding set pieces. Also, deep defending really needs more pace upfront (in control of the ball).

I've been waiting for the Duffy goal since he was playing for Blackburn and missed a last minute equaliser

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I saw it live and on the replays on the (distant) screen in the ground.

It was one hell of a strike that started out wide of the post and came back in.

My gut feel is there wasn't a lot Ryan could have done about it.

I was stood there and Ryan takes no blame at all. It was just a stunning strike, he stood no chance.

I was fairly close behind the goal and saw the replays, and would concur with both these comments. It was a tremendous goal.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My heart sinks when March and Bong ready themselves to cross into the box because you know it’s almost certainly going to be a rubbish cross. Both do other parts of their job well but the final ball gives us no chance to take advantage. Be interested in the season’s stats as to how many decent crosses they have put in between them.I’d wager they could be counted on one hand with fingers to spare.

Chis Sutton did exactly that in the 5 Live commentary, and you're right.

Six.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was fairly close behind the goal and saw the replays, and would concur with both these comments. It was a tremendous goal.

Out of interest do you and your wife go into different ends when Albion play Saints?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chis Sutton did exactly that in the 5 Live commentary, and you're right.

Six.

Not a chance, Sutton would have not had to count that high, and I was talking about over the whole of this season not just last night :smile:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Out of interest do you and your wife go into different ends when Albion play Saints?

She has been to the AMEX with me for a Saints match without being in the away end. I have done the same at St Mary's.

last night I was with the Away Fans...… which makes it a far more enjoyable experience, even though I am not very vocal. The last minute equaliser celebrations were about 15 feet away from my seat. I was going to say "from where I was sat", but the seat was only used before the kick-off and at half-time.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Interesting that I was just talking to my brother who was stood directly behind Ryan for the 1st goal and he thought that Ryan should have done better as he was very slow getting down to the shot. Did anybody else stood in that area think the same? Sky were going on about it being the goal of the season.

Two questions, first is your brother David Blunkett and second if he was standing directly behind Ryan why didn’t HE save it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting that I was just talking to my brother who was stood directly behind Ryan for the 1st goal and he thought that Ryan should have done better as he was very slow getting down to the shot. Did anybody else stood in that area think the same? Sky were going on about it being the goal of the season.

Is it possible that maybe at a family event a few years back, that yourself and your brother might have inadvertently picked up each others' spectacles?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here