PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: St. Mary's
Date: Monday 17th September 2018
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

TEAM NEWS

Southampton strike duo Shane Long and Charlie Austin are both doubts with toe and hamstring issues respectively.

Fellow frontman Danny Ings looks to have overcome the blister problem that saw him require painkilling injections prior to the international break.

Brighton playmaker Pascal Gross faces a fitness test on an ankle knock.

Jose Izquierdo and summer signing Florin Andone have both returned to training following injury and could be involved, the latter for his debut.

RADIO 5 LIVE COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Colin McNamara: These sides meet for the second time in less than three weeks after Charlie Austin's goal saw Southampton beat Brighton in the League Cup second round at the Amex.

However, stretching back to last season, Southampton have only had one win in their last 13 Premier League home games.

In addition, Monday nights have not been a good omen in the past - Southampton have never won a Monday night Premier League game at St Mary's.

Brighton's Glenn Murray scored home and away against Southampton last season. Only Salah, Kane, Vardy, Aguero and Aubameyang have scored more Premier League goals than Murray in 2018.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Southampton manager Mark Hughes: "They've got a lot of guys that have grasped the opportunity to play in the Premier League and are enjoying the day-in and day-out challenge the Premier League brings," reflected Hughes.

"Along with that, they've still got a guy up top [Glenn Murray] who is a little bit older than some of the rest in the group and still has an impact for them. You have to be respectful of the talent they have."

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: "Southampton are on the back of a very good win in their last game [at Crystal Palace] and are a team I'm sure will be playing with a lot of confidence.

"What we can't do is underestimate the qualities they have got. They have got a very good squad and a very good team.

"We will have to play at the levels that we have done in the last three games to give ourselves a chance."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Southampton won 1-0 at Brighton in the EFL Cup last month.
    [*=left]Both Premier League encounters in 2017-18 ended in 1-1 draws.
    [*=left]Southampton have lost only once in the last eight meetings (W3, D4).
Southampton

• [*=left]Southampton's only win in 13 home league matches was April's 2-1 win over Bournemouth (D6, L6).
    [*=left]Mark Hughes is seeking back-to-back league wins for the first time since January 2017, when he was Stoke boss.
    [*=left]Saints are winless in their last 10 Monday Premier League fixtures, losing seven of those games.
    [*=left]They are the only side yet to score a first-half Premier League goal this season.
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have lost four of their last league six games, winning once.
    [*=left]Only the Seagulls and West Ham are still to record their first away points of 2018-19.
    [*=left]They are one of just two clubs yet to score an away goal this season, alongside newly-promoted Cardiff.
    [*=left]Brighton have not scored an away league goal in five hours and 20 minutes, since April's 3-1 loss at Manchester City.
    [*=left]Since their promotion to the Premier League, the Seagulls have won just 11 of a possible 63 away points (W2, D5, L14)
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored four goals in five league starts for Brighton against Southampton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The bit about Wet Sham and away points in the OP post is now wrong. Its only us who have not won away in the PL in 2018.

We're DOOMED!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The omens are not good with having one of the worst refs in the Premier in charge. We will have to really battle for anything tonight and as per Sourthampton Twitter Austin is fit and will play and he invariably scores against us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll settle for a point right now, my confidence in the Albion being able to win away is at a very low ebb :down:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As much as I love Murray, I can't help be a bit envious of Saints having both Austin and Ings to call upon, not to mention Gabbiadini and Long.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Hoping for a draw tonight although I expect us to lose. Saints tails will be up after last weeks win giving them a huge confidence boost, plus Austin always scores against us!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Charlie Austin seems to score against us at will

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No idea, I didn't mean tonight, I meant in terms of squad strength up front.

Quality strikers but Austin, Long and Ings are all at least slight sicknotes, so only really make 1/2 players between them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray will win a dubious penalty, and score it unconvincingly. We'll look pretty decent in the first 45-60 mins and have a number of chances to double our lead, but won't.

Saints will come into the game as we slowly retreat further and further back into our half. Saints will score a header late on, following some poor/non-existent marking in the box.

1-1 full time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here