Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Paris bans cars for the day, asks Europe to join in

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Athens has alternate days depending on whether your car registration is an odd or even number.

A policy which allegedly caused many of the population to purchase a second car to circumvent the issue.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're being so small minded, getting people out of cars isn't an overnight thing, sadly with the speed of our infrastructure, it's generational.

so you say im small minded for daring to suggest we should do something more. :shrug: i dont get it really, people ask for radical solutions to big problems then applaud small feel good events. well done some people switched to bikes, small steps by individuals are great. i expect government to try something grander but they dont need to when we are so easily pleased.

all i said was it was a bit of gimmick and wonder if they want to do more. i get abuse. wierd crowd.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
so you say im small minded for daring to suggest we should do something more. :shrug: i dont get it really, people ask for radical solutions to big problems then applaud small feel good events. well done some people switched to bikes, small steps by individuals are great. i expect government to try something grander but they dont need to when we are so easily pleased.

What possible reason would the government have for pushing environmentally friendly transportation.

This has to come from the bottom up or else resentment will go through the roof.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

Attachments

• Screen Shot-3.jpg
    Screen Shot-3.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 135

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A policy which allegedly caused many of the population to purchase a second car to circumvent the issue.

Yes, that's true. Our friends had two cars.

Edit to add the public transport system in Athens is one of the best I've encountered. Cheap weekly tickets valid for tube, train, tram and trolley buses. I wouldn't want to drive out there.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like it's going to make cycling so popular I'm going to need to but some shares in asthma remedy companies. All hail the inhaler.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like it's going to make cycling so popular I'm going to need to but some shares in asthma remedy companies. All hail the inhaler.

They won't be needed what with the considerable cut in air pollution. :wink:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Yes, that's true. Our friends had two cars.

Edit to add the public transport system in Athens is one of the best I've encountered. Cheap weekly tickets valid for tube, train, tram and trolley buses. I wouldn't want to drive out there.

Very true. I spend a few days there shortly after the 2004 Olympics, and was very impressed with the city. Would love to go back and well recommend for anyone who hasn't visited.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow, just WOW

'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/18/paradise-life-spanish-city-banned-cars-pontevedra

“Listen,” says the mayor, opening the windows of his office. From the street below rises the sound of human voices. “Before I became mayor 14,000 cars passed along this street every day. More cars passed through the city in a day than there are people living here.”

“On the same streets where 30 people died in traffic accidents from 1996 to 2006, only three died in the subsequent 10 years, and none since 2009. CO2 emissions are down 70%, nearly three-quarters of what were car journeys are now made on foot by bicycle”

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They had an event here last Sunday where they banned cars in the downtown core for the morning. It was fantastic. Lots of people walking and cycling along wide, car-free streets. It was so nice to have a few hours as a pedestrian, without getting pissed off with drivers turning in front of me at almost every intersection.

It's just a shame it doesn't happen more often.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This sort of "progressive" thinking from these Euro types is exactly why we must leave the EU and take back control of carbon monoxide distribution in our great British cities.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
It's all fine and well discouraging people from driving but when you also discourage people from public transport by raising expensive train fares 3.5% per year why should people use public transport? They get screwed either way they choose to travel.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Great stuff.
In the interests of reciprocity bicycles,mopeds and motorbikes should be banned for a day also so car users can travel around unhindered and not be held up by twits who think they own the road

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff.
In the interests of reciprocity bicycles,mopeds and motorbikes should be banned for a day also so car users can travel around unhindered and not be held up by twits who think they own the road

I think you tried too hard there, not even worthy of a reply.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I like the idea in principle but does the ban include buses and cabs ? I ask as this surely then makes the city centre inaccessable to people who can't walk very far or cycle ?

If Brighton did it I'm sure the restaurants would see a dip in trade. When I go to dinner in the city centre there is eff all way I'd cycle and arrive for dinner all hot and sweaty. I use a car or a cab.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like the idea in principle but does the ban include buses and cabs ? I ask as this surely then makes the city centre inaccessable to people who can't walk very far or cycle ?

If Brighton did it I'm sure the restaurants would see a dip in trade. When I go to dinner in the city centre there is eff all way I'd cycle and arrive for dinner all hot and sweaty. I use a car or a cab.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary, local businesses seem to thrive without cars.
How hot and sweaty would you get walking from the train station?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Despite all the evidence to the contrary, local businesses seem to thrive without cars.
How hot and sweaty would you get walking from the train station?

If I go out to dinner I don't wish to walk - more to the point Mrs W won't walk in her heels !

The second part of my post was more throwaway. What about the first part ? Do buses and cabs get banned on these days as well ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I go out to dinner I don't wish to walk - more to the point Mrs W won't walk in her heels !

The second part of my post was more throwaway. What about the first part ? Do buses and cabs get banned on these days as well ?
It would be one Sunday lunch in the summer, perhaps you could dress more casual, or I don't know, go somewhere else?

The scheme is whatever the cities want it to be, although having cabs in the demotorised zone would seem to be counter-intuitive.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The scheme is whatever the cities want it to be, although having cabs in the demotorised zone would seem to be counter-intuitive.

So you basically make city centres on that day inaccessable for the the less abled. Nice. Therefore it's a no from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here