Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women beat London Bees in the Continental Tyres Cup

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
This afternoon Brighton women secured their first win in the Continental Tyres cup (and of the season) as they ran out 3-1 winners over London Bees on a sunny afternoon in Crawley. The Bees scored first (Howell) before Umotong and Brazil gave Brighton a 2-1 lead at the break. Brighton controlled the game more in the second half with Whelan scoring just before the end to make the result certain. I was particularly impressed with Ellie Brazil who was a thorn in the Bees side the whole game and thoroughly deserved a goal so shes my player of the match.

Match Report : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...ion-women-vs-london-bees-ladies-on-16-sep-18/

Hope Powell's thoughts : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/september/powell-praises-albions-character/

The win moves Brighton up to fourth in their group, with 2 matches to go. Their next cup match is on the 5th December against Crystal Palace!

UTA :albion2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Very good. What was attendance

Not good - apparently 171 though I would've placed it as under 100. Lewes women played Arsenal on the same day and had an attendance of 945 though obviously Arsenal are a bigger draw and probably have a good traveling support.

Brightons next home game is against Liverpool this Sunday and will be broadcast live on BT Sport. Hope the crowd is bigger and creates a good atmosphere to support the team as it'll be a tough match even though we are at home.

Oct 25, 2003
Our women’s team are always going to struggle for crowds while they’re playing in Crawley in my view.

I fully appreciate that it’s out of the clubs hands but Crawley just isn’t a suitable location (apart from the quality of the facilities of course). It’s not really an “Albion town” meaning you’re not going to pull in that many people from Crawley itself so you’re basically just bussing a load of people from Brighton up there. That’s fine for an avid fan but for someone on the fence I can totally understand the apathy.

This needs a proper rethink by the decision makers of women’s football- there really is no need to impose this upon clubs and it should be allowed to grow organically. There are numerous perfectly adequate facilities that are much more in the catchment area for the club: Lancing (where they played last year of course), Worthing, Shoreham etc Burgess Hill if you’re going North and even Withdean.

Get clubs in grounds that are much more suitable for the crowds that they attract and get them packed out- it’s completely possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Oh I agree - I even considered putting home in quotes as Crawley doesn't feel like playing at home.

I know that Withdean isn't an option as too much would need doing and I don't the required changes would be liked by the owners (which is still the council?) or want to be paid for by the club. I've often wondered why Whitehawk isn't an option? As I understand it they already have some temporary stands (taken from the Withdean!) with space to put in more capacity as needed.

Oct 25, 2003
What would need doing at Withdean out of interest? The North Stand is there which, from memory, holds around 2,000. Think a lot of the stuff that we funded- changing rooms etc are still intact.

Whitehawk- capacity wise, would be absolutely fine. I imagine an issue is the pitch (possibly what has put us off hosting our youth/reserve teams there in the past)

Oct 25, 2003
I wonder if a long term solution is to build a purpose built small stadium in the city to host our women’s, under 23 teams etc . Could be a joint venture with a non-League side or one of the universities. Would have a 3G pitch so could be used by the community on non matchdays

A bit pie in the sky I know

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brightons next home game is against Liverpool this Sunday and will be broadcast live on BT Sport. Hope the crowd is bigger and creates a good atmosphere to support the team as it'll be a tough match even though we are at home.

Got tickets for the family and going with some friends and their children to, should be good.
I can record it and try and spot us now, the kids will love that.

Oct 25, 2003
Without googling it, who knew that the generic-sounding London Bees was anything to do with Barnet FC?

Well I was thinking it would be Barnet or perhaps Brentford. However it does sound like a team from Pro Evolution Soccer (or perhaps a 5 a side team). Why not just be Barnet Ladies?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I wonder if a long term solution is to build a purpose built small stadium in the city to host our women’s, under 23 teams etc . Could be a joint venture with a non-League side or one of the universities. Would have a 3G pitch so could be used by the community on non matchdays

A bit pie in the sky I know

Was actually idling pondering this while on a long motorway drive by myself at the weekend. Whitehawk's ground is a shambles and I'm sure they would jump at the chance of some kind of joint venture to ground share with Albion ladies and U23s if it meant getting the ground done up.

Oct 25, 2003
Was actually idling pondering this while on a long motorway drive by myself at the weekend. Whitehawk's ground is a shambles and I'm sure they would jump at the chance of some kind of joint venture to ground share with Albion ladies and U23s if it meant getting the ground done up.

I know that when Whitehawk were knocking on the door of the Conference there were *vague* talk of building a new stadium- I believe on the “Sheepcote Valley” site that the objectors of the Amex were so obsessed by. That’s all gone quiet now that they’ve scaled back big time on the expenditure front but I just wonder whether it would be in the interests for all parties to go with this as a joint venture, alleviating the financial burden for each party? The site was inadequate for an, at the time, 22,000 stadium but for the purpose of what we’re discussing it should be fine?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I know that when Whitehawk were knocking on the door of the Conference there were *vague* talk of building a new stadium- I believe on the “Sheepcote Valley” site that the objectors of the Amex were so obsessed by. That’s all gone quiet now that they’ve scaled back big time on the expenditure front but I just wonder whether it would be in the interests for all parties to go with this as a joint venture, alleviating the financial burden for each party? The site was inadequate for an, at the time, 22,000 stadium but for the purpose of what we’re discussing it should be fine?

Pretty sure the current Whitehawk ground, which only has stands on 3 sides, has a capacity of 2,200. A renovated and improved ground could surely hold 3,000 which would be more than adequate for all those involved. Brighton and Hove women's and youth teams get to play in the actual city and Whitehawk get improvements/revenue from catering. Everyone is happy. Can only assume at some level the clubs don't see eye to eye which is why it hasn't been touted.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
A purpose built stadium for the U23s and ladies teams would be excellent - I'd happily get along for those games. The women seem to be playing on a sunday lunch time which is a nice time for a game of football as a casual fan and the U23 would offer something to go watch of an evening whilst we're in the Premier League and barely playing under lights. I think it would be a logical next investment in the infrastructure of the club but the location would be crucial.

Any chance the old Amex House site would be big enough? The horrible job centre could find itself a new home, I'm sure. Transport wouldn't be an issue because there is the existing infrastructure and coaches could drop off outside the ground and then park on Madeira Drive. Job done?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How on earth did Lewes v Arsenel womens game attract 900 Lewes mens who are doing well get about 300/350.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I fully appreciate that it’s out of the clubs hands

Out of interest why is it out of the clubs hands?

Could they not use the training ground at Shoreham? Not been there myself but it looks a decent little stadium from the videos the club release.

Oct 25, 2003
Out of interest why is it out of the clubs hands?

Could they not use the training ground at Shoreham? Not been there myself but it looks a decent little stadium from the videos the club release.

As I understand it, the only 2 facilities in Sussex that meet the minimum requirements for the top division are Crawley and the Amex. This is the bit that I’m disagreeing with, in my view there are plenty of places in Sussex that would be adequate for that level of football- and yeh I’m including the training ground in that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How on earth did Lewes v Arsenel womens game attract 900 Lewes mens who are doing well get about 300/350.

I was there on Saturday. The gate was 685, not 300-odd. I imagine that Arsenal are more of a draw than Enfield are :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here