Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very sad,too young to go,only 64.R.I.P.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same here. Our secondary school used to take a couple of coach loads up for midweek England matches in the late 70's. This was my first and Beattie was in the team, against the brilliant Dutch. Beattie was worthy of his place.

View attachment 100589

I see the brilliant Paul Madeley is in there, who also passed away recently.

Read that teamsheet and named the teams they all played for without thinking. Not sure why I loved football so much back when England were so shit....:shrug:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Same here. Our secondary school used to take a couple of coach loads up for midweek England matches in the late 70's. This was my first and Beattie was in the team, against the brilliant Dutch. Beattie was worthy of his place.

View attachment 100589

I went to that game, I think it was Trevor Francis' England Debut. Cruyff was at his brilliant best. The next day the papers gave him a 10 out of 10

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Alan Brazil on Talkshite told of a time when the Ipswich side travelled to a game by train via Darlington. On the platform they ran into some Newcastle supporters looking for trouble whereupon Beattie waded in and sorted a few of them out. A different era indeed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

View attachment 100589

Five of that England team are dead - all dying relatively young. What a poignant reminder of the fragility of life

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Alan Brazil on Talkshite told of a time when the Ipswich side travelled to a game by train via Darlington. On the platform they ran into some Newcastle supporters looking for trouble whereupon Beattie waded in and sorted a few of them out. A different era indeed.

There's a similar story where some thugs were about to beat up an Arsenal player, it might've been Ray Parlour, when Steve Bould appeared. Back in the day a menacing presence, he made mince meat of the instigators.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Five of that England team are dead - all dying relatively young. What a poignant reminder of the fragility of life
Indeed. In order of age: Clement (34), Greenhoff (60), Doyle (64), Beattie (64) and Madeley (73). I'm amazed Stan Bowles is still alive.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Kevin Beattie

.......Apologies if this has already been posted but he died this week aged 64......how many on here saw him play?.....I did and he was simply awesome. Better judges than me accorded him these tributes.....
Bobby Charlton...." reminded him of Duncan Edwards "
Bobby Robson....." he could climb higher than the crossbar and still head the ball down. The sweetest left foot I have ever seen and he could hit 60 yard passes without looking, taking out 5-6 players. Strength of a tank, lightening quick and could really tackle. The quickest defender I ever saw "
Only 9 England caps and forced out the game early after 5 knee ops in 4 years. He had everything and I mean everything. Think of a Gareth Bale playing out from the back but quicker and stronger. At times breathtakingly good but like many who hover around true greatness, there is often a self destruct button and Beattie was no exception.
Saw him at the Goldstone, for Ipswich, in a league cup tie and at times he was playing us on his own and that was from fullback! Ipswich fans regularly vote him their greatest ever player.
If you saw him live, you would never forget him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. In order of age: Clement (34), Greenhoff (60), Doyle (64), Beattie (64) and Madeley (73). I'm amazed Stan Bowles is still alive.

Whilst on the subject of 70s icons dying relatively young (seeing as this thread's come up again) I've discovered that four of Pan's People are dead! :eek:,
Louise Clarke (62), Flick Colby (65), Andrea Rutherford (68) and Ruth Pearson (70)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
a regular in a very,very good team

Ipswich Town

I believe the only English team unbeaten at home in Europe

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Read that teamsheet and named the teams they all played for without thinking. Not sure why I loved football so much back when England were so shit....:shrug:

Apart from a couple of stand outs that's a week England side. Astonishing how we took Europe in club competition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apart from a couple of stand outs that's a week England side. Astonishing how we took Europe in club competition.

Because the best English and Scottish club players were special. Technically good, but with a mentality unmatched on the continent. Add in some of the greatest managers in the history of the game - Stein, Busby, Shankly, Clough, Paisley. With other european trophies picked by high quality teams such as Spurs, Villa, West Ham, Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here