Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] This time Frasier is (was a couple of days ago) 25 years old.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Loved Frasier. Am currently working my way through it as I moved out of the country in the old internet era and didn't watch it for years. Last episode I watched on TV was when Daphne and Niles ran off together.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can only add to the paean of praise to this great series. Yes the last season fell away badly, but up until then it was absolutely brilliant. As someone else said it was almost 'British' in its use of sarcasm and sophistication; jokes would be used that just wouldn't fit into any other series. One of my favourite exchanges is when the old school bully comes to fix the toilet. Niles is upset, but Frasier tells him that his (Niles) life has worked out better (which is very snobby in itself) and that he's had his revenge by living well:

Frasier: Have you heard the expression, "Living well is the best revenge?"

Niles: It's a wonderful expression. I just don't know how true it is. You don't see it turning up in a lot of opera plots: "Ludwig, maddened by the poisoning of his entire family, wreaks vengeance on Gunther in the third act by .... living well."

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Frasier contained the best of British-style sarcasm/irony, which helped make it endearing.

The one at the beach house.

Prologue

The boys rent a beach house hoping for an amorous time with two recently met lady friends. They find the stinky carcass of a dead seal on the sand in front of the deck. Niles calls the coastguard to get it removed, Frasier seeing that Niles is no getting any headway on the call takes the phone.

Frasier " Hallo this is Frasier Caine, you may know me from my radio show!"

Niles "Well that will certainly send them hurtling down the freeway to our aid!"

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... another of my favourites: When Frasier was away so Niles filled in for him:

Niles: This is Dr. Niles Crane, filling in for my ailing brother, Dr. Frasier Crane. Although I feel perfectly qualified to fill Frasier's radio shoes, I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian - so there'll be no blaming Mother today!

They were also capable of less subtle humour. I do like "Roz and the Schnoz" where Roz meets the future grandparents of her baby and finds out they have massive noses. That one regularly gets panned by the critics for basically just laughing at people with big noses, but again, being Frasier it's extremely well done and the 'nose' jokes are only a small part of it. (It was Peri Gilpin's favourite episode).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
What a show. The casting could not have been better, finding David Hyde Pierce was just a stroke of utter fortune.

My favourite episode is the end of the season 1 'My Coffee with Niles'. Not much happens but its just so well put together.

This is my favourite scene

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Had a massive crush on Roz too...still do actually.

This.

One of my favourite lines is from the one where Frasier is trying to play baseball to impress his son. Niles turns up at the flat to come and watch in an expensive suit. Frasier makes a sarcastic comment about how inappropriately dressed for baseball he is, to which Niles says something like, You've failed to notice the diamond motif on my tie.
Love also that Frasier checks it and then looks suitably impressed.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The irony is, one of the best Frasier episodes is the Simpsons episode where Frasier and Niles are Sideshow Bob and failed candidate Cecil.

Genius.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barely ever watched it, am I the only one to have assumed Niles was gay?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here