Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Members Razzoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,513


    1 Not allowed!
    Zaha should not be on the list cos he's not a one club man.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #12
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      25,135


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Presumably not Hughton’s view. Players who are no “more than a back up” don’t tend to appear in nearly every game, starting in half of them (last season)
      And So far he has started all games this season. Hughton clearly thinks more of him.
      Izquierdo is/was injured, Ali J returned late from the world cup missing some of the pre-season, and is new to the team and Hughton has shown a tendancy to ease new boys into the team. It's not as clear a choice as you make it seem.

      Having said that, I think nwgull's appraisal of March is harsh.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
    • #13

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Izquierdo is/was injured, Ali J returned late from the world cup missing some of the pre-season, and is new to the team and Hughton has shown a tendancy to ease new boys into the team. It's not as clear a choice as you make it seem.

      Having said that, I think nwgull's appraisal of March is harsh.
      Yes but March was starting games throughout last season , often away because Hughton preferred him not because Izquierdo was being eased in or injured.
    • #14
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      12,370


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I often think players often chase the money and under-appreciate the kudos that comes with sticking with one club. The likes of Gerrard, Chopper Harris, Jihn Terry, Steve Bull, Giggs, Scholes, Billy Bonds, David O'Leary loved and embody the club's they played for and have legend status. Zaha is on that list.
      Terry spent his early years at Wet Sham.

      I disagree with the premise of the thread. Zaha is the key man for Palace - true. When a player who is local makes a difference, this is an example of a local player making a difference. But non local players make a difference too. Guess what? Peter Ward was not local. Bobby Zamora was not local. Extrapolating this to suggest that all and only local players make the difference is clearly untenable. Palace may stay up and Zaha may be a key factor in this. It is not, however, an exemplar as you seem to think it is. Liverpool won division one without a single English player in the starting line up some years ago, and all today's big stars at Citeh, ManUre, Liverpoo and Arse are foreign. Using your logic this surely means that you only ever win things today with a team full of foreigners.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

      Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
    • #15
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      25,135


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yes but March was starting games throughout last season , often away because Hughton preferred him not because Izquierdo was being eased in or injured.
      Again, not a lot of options. Our first year in the premier league so we didn't have as big a quality squad we had 5 wingers and if everyone was fit and on form, March would be third in third place. Izgierdo was in his first season with us, and again, Hughton has shown he would ease players in. Knockaert didn't set the premier league afire needing time to adjust as he struggled for form. Murphy and Skalak were behind March (as they often were in the Championship and since Murphy has gone to Rangers and Skalak to Millwall). With Ali J joining Izquierdo and Knockaert, you'd think March is probably 4th choice when all are fit and firing, but he is young and still improving and could move up.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
    • #16
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      What’s it called? Cumbernauld
      Posts
      1,161


      1 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=chaileyjem;8602541]Presumably not Hughton’s view. Players who are no “more than a back up” don’t tend to appear in nearly every game, starting in half of them (last season)
      And So far he has started all games this season. Hughton clearly thinks more of him.[/QUOTE
      Solly March
      Ashley Barnes
      Are in fact one and the same you’ll notice it’s the same folk who think they offer the team nothing too
    • #17
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      7,736


      0 Not allowed!
      Begrudgingly watching Zaha again. Yeah maybe Man Utd was expecting too much too early. But he has gotten seriously good. He just thrives on being booed too which is REALLY annoying cos every team boos him now. He loses respect for his "everyones got an agenda againt me" post match every time, but I think its now part of his profile and rehearsed as is that shocked dwain dibley impression.

      What a
    • #18

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Again, not a lot of options. Our first year in the premier league so we didn't have as big a quality squad we had 5 wingers and if everyone was fit and on form, March would be third in third place. Izgierdo was in his first season with us, and again, Hughton has shown he would ease players in. Knockaert didn't set the premier league afire needing time to adjust as he struggled for form. Murphy and Skalak were behind March (as they often were in the Championship and since Murphy has gone to Rangers and Skalak to Millwall). With Ali J joining Izquierdo and Knockaert, you'd think March is probably 4th choice when all are fit and firing, but he is young and still improving and could move up.
      Not sure how when Izquierdo had played about 15 matches, is fit and AK is fit , then Hughton is still picking March and JI is still being 'eased in" (see those crucial points at Saints and Stoke away last season) and that his hands are tied and he's forced into the choice. He sees him, especially off the ball and defending as offering a different option to the other wingers and prefers, sometimes, to pick him. Not necessarily my choice or clearly lots of posters on NSC but He's not a back up, or a 4th choice (whatever that means), and clearly an important part of the squad for CH. I think thats self evident and puts pay to ideas that 'he's no more than a back up".
    • #19

      0 Not allowed!
      Shearer was on MOTD about Zaha and said "crowds don't boo bad players". He was clearly not at the Amex those two games Dan Harding played against us
    • #20
      Mon nez est parfait! Knocky's Nose's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Eastbourneceistershire
      Posts
      1,039


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Homegrown players are so important, not just for their loyalty...
      Did Zaha not scamper off to Manchester United as soon as they knocked on his door, then?

      That aside : March and Dunk. I have to admit it's nice to have local lads playing for the team, and it can only be nice for the players who have their entire family around them.
      Ce Qui Donne?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •