Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Zaha, Dunk & March - why homegrown players are invaluable

2 Not allowed!
    As much as it pains me to say it, Zaha is quality, Palace are very lucky to have a quality homegrown forward. He will keep them up, again.

Homegrown players are so important, not just for their loyalty, but also their affinity to their clubs inspiring them to perform above and beyond, and win games on their own.

We have a talismanic homegrown player too in Lewis Dunk. Also quality, and will also do his bit to keep us up. He will be the difference this season for us, just like Zaha is for Palace.

There is also Solly March, contentious at times, but if we as fans get behind him, then he will also win games for us, and keep on improving to become a top quality winger.

We are signing foreign talent for our youth now, which is great... but there is something exceptional about signing local talent. Would love to see the club really drive towards the development and acquisition of local, South East, talent. It's a huge pool to work with, with potentially invaluable rewards.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I often think players often chase the money and under-appreciate the kudos that comes with sticking with one club. The likes of Gerrard, Chopper Harris, Jihn Terry, Steve Bull, Giggs, Scholes, Billy Bonds, David O'Leary loved and embody the club's they played for and have legend status. Zaha is on that list.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

2 Not allowed!
      I think you're forgetting a couple of points.

Mr Tumble is a "world class" player.

Whereas Solly is "League One at best" while Dunk is just a 'poor man's Alfie Mawson'.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I often think players often chase the money and under-appreciate the kudos that comes with sticking with one club. The likes of Gerrard, Chopper Harris, Jihn Terry, Steve Bull, Giggs, Scholes, Billy Bonds, David O'Leary loved and embody the club's they played for and have legend status. Zaha is on that list.
      True. You can add Mick Channon, Le Tiss, the Charltons and David Beckham (he only moved on at the arse end of his career) to that list too. And many more! - just not so many these days.

0 Not allowed!
      Amended:

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      As much as it pains me to say it, Zaha is quality, Palace are very lucky to have a quality homegrown forward. He will keep them up, again.

Homegrown players are so important, not just for their loyalty, but also their affinity to their clubs inspiring them to perform above and beyond, and win games on their own.

We have a talismanic homegrown player too in Lewis Dunk. Also quality, and will also do his bit to keep us up. He will be the difference this season for us, just like Zaha is for Palace.

There is also Solly March, contentious at times, but if we as fans get behind him, then he may be good enough for a mid table championship side if we are lucky.

We are signing foreign talent for our youth now, which is great... but there is something exceptional about signing local talent. Would love to see the club really drive towards the development and acquisition of local, South East, talent. It's a huge pool to work with, with potentially invaluable rewards.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      David Beckham (he only moved on at the arse end of his career) to that list too.
      Surely Beckham moved at about the peak of his career when he went to Real Madrid.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Billy Bonds left Charlton to chase the cash or glory at West Ham.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post

There is also Solly March, contentious at times, but if we as fans get behind him, then he will also win games for us, and keep on improving to become a top quality winger.

I agree, Zara is quality, maybe the Man Utd role came too early in his career, however he would probably benefit from playing in one of the top 6 or even a big club abroad.

Nonetheless, in reference to your sentiments concerning “home grown players” Zaha has now chosen to represent the Ivory Coast. This situation is unfortunate because to be successful England need as big a pool as possible.

Homegrown players representing England in the youth programme and even full friendlies who then switch allegiance should (in my view) have to pay a fee to compensate the FA for its loss, this of course would not cover the impact on players who would not have had the benefit of the FA’s system but lost out on the opportunity to represent their country because of players like Zaha.

Not a problem easy to solve but I suspect this situation is only going to get worse.......

1 Not allowed!
      Zaha is far more important to Palace than Dunk is to us, and March is no more than a back up at PL level. We still win games without Dunk; the last team Palace beat without Zaha are now playing in the 3rd division.
      To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nwgull View Post
      March is no more than a back up at PL level..
      Presumably not Hughton’s view. Players who are no “more than a back up” don’t tend to appear in nearly every game, starting in half of them (last season)
      And So far he has started all games this season. Hughton clearly thinks more of him.