Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Furthest You've Travelled For Day Trip

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
You need 2 days to make it worth while for this world famous attraction. There's just too much to do in a day

I know but unfortunately I am pushed for time. Apparently if I go on a day where there is no slush on the ground and avoid the famous ‘walking trail of a middle class suburban housing estate’ then I might just about manage it.

According to the blokes I met the walking trail is not all it’s cracked up to be anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Back in '80 Mrs SS worked for an air chartering company in HH and the deal was any unsold seats could be had free to staff. Well, the Ibiza flight departed Gatwick about 10am Sunday mornings with a 1-hour turnaround return - we left home at 8am and were back by 3pm.

Not in 24 hours, but a Guy I worked with met up with a girl in Chicago while he was out there on business, she was an Australian nanny. He thought it would be nice for her to come visit him in the UK for the weekend so he bought her a return ticket Chicago-Gatwick but it went very wrong for her because her US visa had less than 6 months on it - this was her trip.
Friday: Chicago > Gatwick
Sunday: Gatwick > Chicago [immigration refused entry]
Monday AM: Chicago > Gatwick [sent back from where she'd arrived from]
Monday PM: Gatwick > Melbourne [repatriated to homeland]

Her flat in Chicago, car, furniture etc etc were all disposed of ......
Moral of story, understand visa entry laws wherever you go [and want to return to]

Happened to a colleague a few years back.....flew to Joburg, didn’t have two pages blank in his passport so they wouldn’t let him in - they put him in a room until the first available flight back to the UK departed. Funny as ****, no-one liked him much anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

Had a former boss in the early 90s who went to NYC to sign a document - there and back same day via Concorde.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’ve done Dubai to London and back the same day, with about 7 hrs in London, to renew a passport on the same day service.

Also - twice in quick succession - flown 14 hrs from Dubai to Sydney, landed in the morning and gone straight to work for a full day, spent one night in a hotel, another full day of work and then flown back out the second evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
? The moon is quite a bit further than 248k!

Is it?

Google tells me

“Often when we see drawings of the Earth and the moon, they look really close together. Don't be fooled! They're actually really far apart. The moon is an average of 238,855 miles (384,400 km) away.”

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I know but unfortunately I am pushed for time. Apparently if I go on a day where there is no slush on the ground and avoid the famous ‘walking trail of a middle class suburban housing estate’ then I might just about manage it.

According to the blokes I met the walking trail is not all it’s cracked up to be anyway.

If you get a flight and air b and b near just in case. Aberdeen should do

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I've heard of actors who do this every two days so they can do Broadway and a movie in Hollywood at the same time.

Pretty crazy as it's so draining, but I guess if you're flying first class and have a nice bed it's a lot more civilized.

A friend took me in his small Cessna to a show up the coast last week and we flew in and out of Van Nuys, which is the main private airport for LA - we landed back in the dinky little plane about 1.30am and the number of huge private jets - 50-100 million dollar gulf streams - that were loading up from SUVs on the tarmac at that time of night was insane. Was at least 6-7 of them getting ready to go in the middle of the night from a totally blacked out airport.. assumed it was people that had finished filming in LA for the day and were off somewhere (NY?) either home or to the next thing. Pretty crazy way to live!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
An uncle of mine was a tour operator and used to do day trips, a niche market for people who wanted to see the World, but get home to sleep in their own bed or feed the dog. Occasionally I got a free ticket if there was spare seats. Saw Moscow, Berlin the week the wall came down and the Swedish Father Christmas. Twas awesome stuff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is it?

Google tells me

“Often when we see drawings of the Earth and the moon, they look really close together. Don't be fooled! They're actually really far apart. The moon is an average of 238,855 miles (384,400 km) away.”

So the point of your first post about the moon was what then?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

And don't forget your duty free perfume or it really would be a wasted trip.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This thread is pissing on my bonfire of driving down to Essex and back to pick up my new car today btw. Thought that was a decent effort. Meh.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Loads of this. Did Florence-LA in 48 hours. Was only in LA for one night before returning.

Also did London-Sao Paulo-Rosario-Buenos Aires and back in a little under 3 days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here