Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] "Take that Osama"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep. If bookmakers were laying odds, I suspect Warners price might be rather short.

"Take that part timer"? Yeah sure. If you were sledging Ali, in what context could part timer be connected with him as an insult?

Warner and Smith can start playing club cricket from the 22nd of this month, then available for international selection in March 2019. They'll both get centuries in the Ashes of course...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Warner and Smith can start playing club cricket from the 22nd of this month, then available for international selection in March 2019. They'll both get centuries in the Ashes of course...

They probably will but they will also get absolute PELTERS from the England fans. Which will be fun.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read it already cheers. Player should have escalated at the time and got the media involved if his team's managers didn't choose to pursue the matter following the player's initial complaint.

An Australian player had turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'. I could not believe what I had heard.

"I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think Trevor Bayliss [the England coach] must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach.

"Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen Osama'?" He denied it, saying, 'No, I said, 'Take that, you part-timer'."

It looks reading that excerpt from the article, that he did report it to the managers. As far as he was concerned, the managers then took it up with each other.

Getting the media involved, doesn't help when you have managers to deal with complaints. The public wouldn't sympathise, and quite probably, would accuse Moeen of grizzling.

He has written a book, and is entitled to recall the incident as he remembers it. I doubt if this is just to promote his book, even though the Times has chosen this incident to highlight it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
An Australian player had turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'. I could not believe what I had heard.

"I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think Trevor Bayliss [the England coach] must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach.

"Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen Osama'?" He denied it, saying, 'No, I said, 'Take that, you part-timer'."

It looks reading that excerpt from the article, that he did report it to the managers. As far as he was concerned, the managers then took it up with each other.

Getting the media involved, doesn't help when you have managers to deal with complaints. The public wouldn't sympathise, and quite probably, would accuse Moeen of grizzling.

He has written a book, and is entitled to recall the incident as he remembers it. I doubt if this is just to promote his book, even though the Times has chosen this incident to highlight it.

Bit more from the excerpt:

“I must say I was amused when I heard that for there is a world of difference between the words ‘Osama’ and ‘part-timer’,” Moeen writes. “Although I couldn’t have mistaken ‘part-timer’ for ‘Osama’, obviously I had to take the player’s word for it, though for the rest of the match I was angry.”

Ali says that after the series, during which he said the Australia team "refused to talk to or even acknowledge us", he spoke to the player.

Ali said: "He came up to me and said, 'I know what you thought I said, but I didn't say that. I've got Muslim friends and some of my best friends are Muslims'.

"I did not argue with him. But I was so clear that is what he said. Why should I invent it out of the blue? I've got nothing against him. I have never had any fights with him before. I did not even know the guy. And I thought his denial was a standard response."

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why? Ali isn't complaining about the player now, it's a book, he's recalling what happened during the game, which this did, that he reported it, that the player denied it. Not sure what the problem is? :shrug:
I know what the problem is.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Zero sympathy. Should have called the player out at the time, like Bong did against the 'non proven racist' Jay Rodriguez. Saving it for your book is a cop-out.

Non proven racist. Did you hear what he said? Only two people heard it and it is his word against bongs.

That is a very inflammatory remark mate.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Media tends to put people on the spot and flush things into the open earlydoors. And not impressed by the Daily Mail dig. You're better than that.

I'll stick with the Daily Mail line here, ta.

You've confirmed you're after a trial by media, which helps no-one. He went through the correct procedure, and now you're criticising him for it?

Thank you Papa, Appreciate the straight forward response unlike that "look down my nose" ********, self obsessed green tree hugging TLO.

Blimey, you are sensitive. Though I've no idea what 'self-obsessed green tree hugging' is.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Problem is IMHO that he felt strongly enough to report it at the time. Then didn't force an escalation into the public arena. And is now using it to flog his book. And yes I do know that falls vaguely within the realm of 'victim shaming' before anyone starts. Just feel he should have forced the issue a bit more at the time, rather than save it for his book.
How is "escalating" the problem reporting it to the media ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here