Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] "Take that Osama"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cricket Australia is to investigate claims made by England all-rounder Moeen Ali that an Australian player called him 'Osama' during the 2015 Ashes.

England were hosts for the series and won it 3-2 to regain the Ashes.

Moeen, 31, has made the accusation in his soon to be released autobiography.

In an extract of Moeen's book in The Times, he said: "An Australian player had turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'. I could not believe what I had heard.

"I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think Trevor Bayliss [the England coach] must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach.

"Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen Osama'?" He denied it, saying, 'No, I said, 'Take that, you part-timer'."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45532699

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cricket Australia is to investigate claims made by England all-rounder Moeen Ali that an Australian player called him 'Osama' during the 2015 Ashes.

England were hosts for the series and won it 3-2 to regain the Ashes.

Moeen, 31, has made the accusation in his soon to be released autobiography.

In an extract of Moeen's book in The Times, he said: "An Australian player had turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'. I could not believe what I had heard.

"I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think Trevor Bayliss [the England coach] must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach.

"Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen Osama'?" He denied it, saying, 'No, I said, 'Take that, you part-timer'."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45532699

has made the accusation in his soon to be released autobiography

It should be 'repeated (my italics) the accusation in his autobiography'. Poor English from the Beeb there.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spice up the Ashes next summer. Smith and Warner will have served their bans. Put money on it being Warner, classic Aussie redneck.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Zero sympathy. Should have called the player out at the time, like Bong did against the 'non proven racist' Jay Rodriguez. Saving it for your book is a cop-out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Zero sympathy. Should have called the player out at the time, like Bong did against the 'non proven racist' Jay Rodriguez. Saving it for your book is a cop-out.

He did call the player out at the time. Notified England management who notified the Australians.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stand by for the whole series being reviewed for lip readers to become involved if there is a good camera angle, as no doubt the Australian would not have said it behind a hand held in front of his mouth.

Even with an Aussie accent I'm struggling to understand how Part Timer could be misheard as Osama

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I read it already cheers. Player should have escalated at the time and got the media involved if his team's managers djdn't choose to pursue the matter.

Really? Trial by media is your preferred option? How very Daily Mail of you.

He is repeating his allegation, not 'saving it for his book'. Just because you hadn't heard of it, it doesn't follow he hadn't already made the allegation.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I read it already cheers. Player should have escalated at the time and got the media involved if his team's managers didn't choose to pursue the matter following the player's initial complaint.

Why? Ali isn't complaining about the player now, it's a book, he's recalling what happened during the game, which this did, that he reported it, that the player denied it. Not sure what the problem is? :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why? Ali isn't complaining about the player now, it's a book, he's recalling what happened during the game, which this did, that he reported it, that the player denied it. Not sure what the problem is? :shrug:

Problem is IMHO that he felt strongly enough to report it at the time. Then didn't force an escalation into the public arena. And is now using it to flog his book. And yes I do know that falls vaguely within the realm of 'victim shaming' before anyone starts. Just feel he should have forced the issue a bit more at the time, rather than save it for his book.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Problem is IMHO that he felt strongly enough to report it at the time. Then didn't force an escalation into the public arena. And is now using it to flog his book. And yes I do know that falls vaguely within the realm of 'victim shaming' before anyone starts. Just feel he should have forced the issue a bit more at the time, rather than save it for his book.

Alternatively. He went through the correct procedure of reporting the issue. Didn't want to make a fuss as it was "dealt with" and then recounted the story in his book.

Really struggling to see what issue you have here. Moeen is by all accounts a thoroughly decent bloke. He didn't want to "force the issue" at the time as it would probably have just created a shit storm and got him nothing but grief and publicity that he didn't want. He's written about it in his book because it's an incident in his cricketing life that's relevant, especially as he says it was the most angry he'd ever been on the pitch.

On a side note, yes I bet it was Warner and yes I'd believe Moeen's account over his any day of the week as DW is a total wanker.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Spice up the Ashes next summer. Smith and Warner will have served their bans. Put money on it being Warner, classic Aussie redneck.

Yep. If bookmakers were laying odds, I suspect Warners price might be rather short.

"Take that part timer"? Yeah sure. If you were sledging Ali, in what context could part timer be connected with him as an insult?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not really victim shaming, he probably doesn't see himself as a victim at all, more can't believe how the Australians will literally stoop to any level to try to get at their opponents, which it sounds like this section of the book is about. Perhaps he should try to sell the book on the section where he bowled 2 consecutive maidens and nothing really happened?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here