Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Your Best and Worst Pundits...

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I see a lot of opinions surface about 'pundits' here on NSC, and they seem quite varied. Gary Neville is my personal favourite as he's extremely knowledgable, honest, and on occasion quite funny. I know he tanked as a manager at Valencia, but he's a clever bloke with a strong personality which shines through on TV.

Although Jamie Carragher's voice makes me want to cut my ears off and stick carrots in the blood spattered holes, I have to admit he's fairly switched on. Michael Owen's lame chunterings also make me mentally zone out, as do Rio Ferdinand's. But, my least favourite pundit has to be Jermaine Jenas.... He has the on-screen personality of a recently deceased accountant with a broom handle up his arse and someone moving his jaw from behind. On the whole he just nods and agrees with anything anyone says, then re-phrases it when it's his turn to talk...

I may have caught one or all of them on good or bad days, who knows... So here is my question :

Who is your worst pundit, and why - and who is your favourite pundit, and why?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I see a lot of opinions surface about 'pundits' here on NSC, and they seem quite varied. Gary Neville is my personal favourite as he's extremely knowledgable, honest, and on occasion quite funny. I know he tanked as a manager at Valencia, but he's a clever bloke with a strong personality which shines through on TV.

Although Jamie Carragher's voice makes me want to cut my ears off and stick carrots in the blood spattered holes, I have to admit he's fairly switched on. Michael Owen's lame chunterings also make me mentally zone out, as do Rio Ferdinand's. But, my least favourite pundit has to be Jermaine Jenas.... He has the on-screen personality of a recently deceased accountant with a broom handle up his arse and someone moving his jaw from behind. On the whole he just nods and agrees with anything anyone says, then re-phrases it when it's his turn to talk...

I may have caught one or all of them on good or bad days, who knows... So here is my question :

Who is your worst pundit, and why - and who is your favourite pundit, and why?

Pretty much agree with you. Think Neville and Carragher are excellent. I also like Souness - kind of football’s Boycott - blunt. I can’t listen to Owen or McManaman, both do my head in. Owen is useless - speaks in monotone and mostly cliches, and Macca is only interested in anything Liverpool-related.

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
Really disliking Chris Sutton on Radio 5. He seems to have picked up the idea that he's a 'character' so you get this toe-curling 'banter' with the main presenter all the time. Cannot understand how he got the gig.

Good ones, IMO, include Pat Nevin and Lee Dixon.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We have Steven Caldwell as a pundit on the Canadian coverage. Not only is he utterly clueless as a pundit, he also has absolutely no idea where he should be looking. He switches between looking at the presenter and kind of half looking at the camera, it's really quite creepy.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Andy Townsend is my most disliked but fortunately he's seldom about these days. Although I can't stand his voice, the only one who ever seems to vaguely offer any insight actually in game seems to be Glenn Hoddle.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Love watching Gary Neville shut down Carragher, and agree he’s likely the brightest and most articulate of all pundits.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Pablo Zabaleta as guest pundit during the WC. Did not expect him to demonstrate the humility and self deprecating humour that won me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lawro. Every time. And bring back Ray Stubbs, we liked him!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Football commentary has never been the same since the days of Bryon Butler and Peter Jones. Too much personality and lowest denominator banter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I noticed that since his reprive, Carra looks like a boiled gooseberry, so agitated and stressed is he, and undergroomed with grey hair, no tan, no make up, and red ringed eyes. Alex Scott wouldn't even look at him the other night, and he looked really on edge. Also, as part of his punishment, Sky seems to have withdrawn his programme of elocution lessions, so he has reverted back to gutteral scouse at 120 words a minute lager-speak (with a saliva top). Not pretty.

For me you cannot beat Alan Green.

In general, I like Gary Neville, Ian Wright and Lawro, and dislike 'early doors' Glnoddle, the ignoramous member of the militant wing of the bumpkin liberation front (Chris Sutton), and the two welsh overshouty wankers, Savage and Mohamed. The rest I can tolerate.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
In Indonesia, we have the 'pleasure' of Keys and Gray replacing the Indonesian pundits from last season on BeIN Sports. Hated the local ones, but they don't seem so bad now. And on the radio, Chris Sutton, NO. Savage: NO. Good: James Richardson and Kelly Cates.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here