Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Give Blood.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I had severe anaemia a few months ago and like Frutos, I had to have a blood transfusion. I can't thank people enough for doing something that potentially saves lives. Now I'm feeling a lot better but still have to be monitored closely. I'd love to meet my donor and get to know them over a few drinks or a meal - it feels like I'm almost related to whoever donated.

So for the last time, thank you to all the blood donors. I know it sounds a bit over the top but you are all real heroes. :thumbsup:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This time last week I was having a blood transfusion in North Middlesex Hospital. I have recently started treatment for blood cancer and my chemo treatment triggered a reaction that included anaemia. Feel fine now and very grateful to all of you that have donated.

A few months ago I was fully fit and healthy and had had a life totally free from illness, so you never know when you will need this.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Come on people, can we B+ about this....boom tosh

Gave again today for the umpteenth time. I thought that the health service is particular keen on getting more ethnic minorities to donate, after reading that in the paper last year I can’t help but note in the three subsequent visits I’ve only seen one person of colour giving an armful. Just an observation, I’m not making any other kind of point.

Same here where i go in Stoke,same white middle aged faces. Perhaps we should stop giving ? I am serious.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quite cool that the Blood Donation service now sends you a text to what has actually happened to your blood. My March donation has ended up in Dorset County Hospital. So if you're in there and you get given a bit of O+, it could be a bit of Bold! :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite cool that the Blood Donation service now sends you a text to what has actually happened to your blood. My March donation has ended up in Dorset County Hospital. So if you're in there and you get given a bit of O+, it could be a bit of Bold! :thumbsup:
6 months my cousin has had to wait for an operation at Dorset Country Hospital, and now she's having to cancel it. It's just not worth the risk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Telling us where the blood goes isn't that new, they've been doing it over a year. The best for me was when some of mine went to the Trevor Man Baby Unit in Brighton, a place I've spent too long at.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Telling us where the blood goes isn't that new, they've been doing it over a year. The best for me was when some of mine went to the Trevor Man Baby Unit in Brighton, a place I've spent too long at.

:thumbsup:

Tell a lie you're right, I scrolled up my texts and I have a similar message from 2017. I just don't like to talk about it. :whistle:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thought I'd bounce this thread.

Well done to everybody that donates blood. In these difficult times, stocks may be slightly lower but that's down to the lockdown and other medical crisis at the moment. Thanks to everyone of you who gives a pint of the red stuff. :clap2:

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Given my pint of O neg only this afternoon. The donating blood process s a well controlled process in normal times but during this Covid crises it has been tightened even more so mainly to protect all parties to keep distance

Encouraged only to arrive at time of appointment, triaged at front door , normal booking in ,seated awaiting call up spaced out - theire are less donorr stations than normal tailored to size of building the rest is as per normal with one drawback no hot cuppa , designed to reduce numbers but cold drink and normal snacks to recover on

There is no reason at all not to donate during crises , NHS Blood service need your blood more than ever - All in all a totally painless procedure and only 40 minutes form arrivin to departure (normally about an hour)

Don't do many good things in life but always feel good within myself after each donation

Book an appointment now....................................

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was booked in to give Blood 2 weeks ago and they cancelled it due to CV etc
Rebooked for August

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Gave blood for years. Then made impossible as so many people in my area keen to do so. Could never get a slot to do so. Oh well.

You've done brilliantly for many years. I admire you. I'm feeling a bit shit as I was due in to Lewes hospital tomorrow for my x-ray (the sickly sweet drink prep) but postponed because of coronavirus. I'm cramping up regularly now when I keep my feet still for five minutes or more. Don't know whether to up my tablets to two or three a day yet.

I'm so fed up of this virus we're all putting our lives on hold for. :down:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Thought I'd bounce this thread.

Well done to everybody that donates blood. In these difficult times, stocks may be slightly lower but that's down to the lockdown and other medical crisis at the moment. Thanks to everyone of you who gives a pint of the red stuff. :clap2:

I use to then was put on blood thinners which now prevents me. You would think if they were desperate, they could work around it being a bit thin. Ah well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure they’re that desperate. Gave blood for years, and it became more difficult to even get an appointment to donate as they were always fully booked. Could be just te area I live in. Good thing to do though.

I'm a blood group B and was told that they were not that desperate for it compared to O , gave about 20 pints over the years, I think I'm too old at 59 now anyway ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gave blood for years. Then made impossible as so many people in my area keen to do so. Could never get a slot to do so. Oh well.

Yep. Booking a slot is like booking for Glastonbury. Every time I look, they're fully booked. I gave for years but I don't think I've donated since about 2012/2013 - it's just so difficult to do now

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Gave 12 days ago, donation #60, at the Cricket Ground which is my most common donation centre these days (occasionally use the Racecourse, and - as a one-off - used the Patcham Community Centre; in the old days, Hove Town Hall was my "local").

Very impressed with the distancing measures. Worked well. Only drawback was the lack of hot drinks, and the controlled snacks. Meant I wasn't tempted to indulge in an extra treat "just to build up my strength just before leaving..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here